Europe: Shore Excursions

drjoyce

Four of us are sailing on Star Princess RT Copenhagen in June. We are looking for Shore Excursion options - through the ship, as well as other ideas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

drjoyce,

DH and I did this cruise in September - you are in for a treat.

We did the Princess 2 day tour of St. Petersburg and loved it, many others booked directly with tour companies in Russia.

Tallinn and Helsinki are very easy to do on your own, Tallinn is a short walk and in Helsinki there is an inexpensive shuttle into town.

In Gdynia we did a Princess tour of Gdansk and Gdynia (LOVED Poland). In Stockholm we tendered into Nynashamn and again we took a Princess tour to Stockholm. I don't know if your itinerary will be to Oslo but since we only had a half day we did a Princess tour there as well.

I know others will disagree with taking Princess excursions but I like them in foreign ports - I'll know they'll hit the highlights and we usually select the ones that include lunch ;) .

Please ask if you have any specific questions

drjoyce: I agree w/crusdiva. My DD and I took this cruise 6/05 and are going again 6/07...just too much to see in just one trip! We did Stockholm on our own (via Nynashamn) but since we're sailing directly into Stockholm this year (Yea!!), a couple of the new tours listed are very appealing & we'll probably sign up for one of those. Helsinki is definitely do-able on your own, take the shuttle into town...very easy to get around from there. St.Pete's..Princess does offer several comprehensive and excellent tours...we took 3 last time, but this time we're booking a private car (through Princess) on one day (to see things we were unable to see before...and shop in a "real" store...not the streetside vendors) and 2 short Princ.tours the next day. Many rave about the private Russian tours and have mentioned they're less $$. Either way, you'll have a good experience. Tallin..you can easily do on your own..walk from the ship to the old town. Gdansk..we took Princess bus (about $20 rt) into Gdansk and walked everywhere on our own..very easy (and doing the same again) We, too absolutely loved Poland!. Finally, if you're going to Oslo..we took a Princess tour, which was excellent; this time one of us is going out on her own and the other will be on another tour.

One last word of advice. Book your tours early, as soon as the website is open for booking. We did and were glad, (we hadn't booked in advance for Oslo; the tour we wanted was all booked up by the time we boarded (we took another, which was very good). Whatever you decide, I know you'll have a great time (we did and that's why we're going again!!)!!!:)

K

Archived