Air arrangements

gr8aunt

Can someone tell me if I'm missing something. From what I can determine, Oceania's air is generally higher than a direct flight you can book on your own--I think most cruise lines generally give you an air schedule with at least one stop--and you now pay for transfers whether or not you book air on your own or with Oceania. I have found the same thing with Princess so I'm assuming it's pretty general throughout the industry. I like the idea of picking my flights (without add'l costs) and picking my seats at time of booking as opposed to waiting until the air schedule is received. I don't have a spouse :( or :) depending on how you look at it, and usually travel with a relative with a different last name. Consequently, we have been split up when flying.

Oceania's free air is generally lower than what you can buy on your own, given Oceania's volume sales. You can always book your own air and transfers, getting a credit for the air and having them remove the transfer charges from your bill. It's all up to you. "Your world, your way." :rolleyes:

Being split up during a flight isn't the cruiseline's fault, but the airline's. On our last flight on Lufthansa, my wife and I were split up. I didn't feel as bad, hearing that a pair of newlyweds were put in separate rows and a group of WW II veterans returing from a 60th anniversary tour were seated away from their wives (I know Lufthansa is a German airline and they lost that war to a bunch of teen-aged members of the Greatest Generation, but c'mon, that was 60 years ago!) ;)

Can someone tell me if I'm missing something. From what I can determine, Oceania's air is generally higher than a direct flight you can book on your own--I think most cruise lines generally give you an air schedule with at least one stop--and you now pay for transfers whether or not you book air on your own or with Oceania. I have found the same thing with Princess so I'm assuming it's pretty general throughout the industry. I like the idea of picking my flights (without add'l costs) and picking my seats at time of booking as opposed to waiting until the air schedule is received. I don't have a spouse :( or :) depending on how you look at it, and usually travel with a relative with a different last name. Consequently, we have been split up when flying.

I am booked on the Set 22 Rome to Venice cruise. Based on comments I read on this board I too was worried that the flights Oceania may provide would not be the best. I looked into either booking on my own or picking my flights via an air deviation. I am flying from the NYC area. Oceania was offering a $600 credit if I booked my own flights. I was actually surprised that the credit offered was so low because the cheapest flight I could find was well over $900 (no matter how many stops I made). I then found that Delta flies direct to Rome from NYC and from Venice back to NYC with a perfect time schedule. Oceania charged me $75 deviation plus an additional $200 per ticket for these flights. The $275 per person was still cheaper than getting the $600 credit and booking the air on my own. Had I been willing to fly Luftansa (who they told me would have been my carrier) and change planes in both directions I probably would have just had to pay the deviation fee, but all that would have accomplished was possibly a better schedule home from Venice with a shorter layover. Each person has to decide if the additional expense is worth it. We decided it was.

While many know this already, I could find no outright expose of this practice of cruise lines providing free air to entice you to book your cruise.

Many cruise lines, Oceania and Viking are two that I have specific experience with, offer free air, but tack on hundreds of dollars in taxes, fuel charges, surcharges, and fees onto that $600-$700 fare. The "free air" for the may 5th Nautica sailing from the west coast of the US is actually $700, plus $369 in add-ons, plus $75 if you want them to assign a schedule you like, plus a fee of $100-$200 per person if you select a carrier that isnt on their bottom tier contract level.

This is why it's important when you are comparing a "free air" program credit of $700 with a $1200 published fare, you're not far away from that figure once you add the additional charges to the base.

There is no such thing as a free lunch or free airfare. Does that sound to cynical? I've been working in the travel industry for too long perhaps. Time for a cruise!

Archived