Mendenhall Glacier Transportation

nextelcup

We will be on a whale watch tour in the a.m. in June 2007 and would like to also go to Mendenhall. I have confirmed the whale watch tour will drop us off at Mendenhall and am concerned about the posts indicating buses are sometimes full and you have to wait for another bus (1/2 hour to hour more). Does this apply to the MGT buses or the city buses? We will be the only ship in port until 2:00 p.m. What are the chances we will have a problem getting on our bus of choice? I am concerned about getting back to the dock in time (2:45 p.m.) and would really like to spend more than 45 minutes at Mendenhall. THX!

This reference is for the shuttle buses, you would have NO problem getting on the city bus. I have actually experienced extensive lines for the return shuttle bus. Probably had to wait through 3 one time. The shuttle buses all line up at the same place and in the past took each other's tickets. But I always just buy my ticket from the driver.

What time does your whale watch end?? You can expect to be at Mendenhall at that time, since the "end" is usually back to downtown.

The city bus does NOT stop at the glacier, but about a mile down the road. So unless you are planning on taking a walk to the city bus stop you need to plan on a bit more time to wait for the MGT bus. Last summer we were lucky and our bus was not full returning from the glacier so we had little wait. But it can be longer.

Archived