Snorkel in Grand Cayman??

crusin cowboy

When my wife and I were in Grand Cayman last September, we walked over to Eden Rock. It is a short trip - walk off the pier, hang a right, go a couple of blocks, and you are there! I think they rent equipment there, but we had our own, so we just walked over the rocks (not much beach) and jumped in the water. While we were there, we noticed one Catameran, one "sub", and a couple of tour groups, although the area didn't seem crowded. Snorkeling was decent, a great deal when you consider it was with in walking distance. I would have been disappointed if I had paid for a tour that ended up at the same place I could have walked to for free! Hope this helps.

The most easily accessible snorkeling in George Town is the Eden Rock & Devil's Grotto Reef.

There is a ladder which makes getting in and out really easy.

Eden Rock starts right at the entrace...so you don't have to swim out far from shore before you start seeing fish, you are literally surrounded by colorful tropical fish as soon as you get in the water. Max depth is around 15 feet

But, if you swim out 50 feet from the shore line, you are at Devil's Grotto!

Devil's Grotto has larger coral heads and out croppings. There are even a few short little tunnels you can swim through...you can see the exit of the tunnel from the entrance...and lots of room to swim. If you can hold your breath for about 30 seconds, then you might want to explore Devil's Grotto instead of Eden Rock. Max depth is aroud 30 feet

:eek: Special Note: Watch for the Silver Side Fish that hang out in Devil's Grotto at various times of the year. They are tiny fish that swim so close together they look like a silver cloud...it's pretty amazing...not scary at all!

Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto are a great, cheap way to spend your time on Grand Cayman.

All the shops are within walking distance, so go snorkeling then explore George Town and grab some Duty Free or find something uniquely Caymanian at one of the local art shops!

Wendy Casson

http://www.caymanjobs.com

The Cayman Islands Experts

EDEN ROCK is great - dove there many times. It is also the very closest shore dive/snorkel to the tender landings in GeorgeTown...I've seen ships drop 200 snorkelers there in 10 minutes.

I only dive it on the days there are no cruise ships in.....

My recommendation - head down the road to the south for 1 mile - Sunset House. Nice dive shop - good snorkel or shore dive - nice bar rest' for after - less crowd (ask nice and they let you use the pool too)

There are other places. I like Sunset....search here, there are comments.

No sand beach tho - this is iron shore area. Altho they have cut a wonderful saltwater pool into the shore which makes a nice place for those inexperienced, or needing a warm-up, to get aquainted.....

sunsethouse.com

Archived