Jacket for my 8 year old on formal night?

Latte Lover

We are travelling on a 5 day Carnival cruise 2/17. I've heard Carnival is a bit more relaxed on attire for formal nights as is the shorter cruises. True? Should I really bring jackets for my 8 and 10 year old boys? If so, I better get shopping!

But the jacket for the little ones isn't really mandatory. I bought my DS, 13 a jacket just for the cruise and found out when he put it on why the door alarms went off at Sears. They hadn't removed the theft device. :( Needless to say he didn't wear the jacket. He had on a long sleeve shirt and tie. Yes, there were some not that dressed up and a lot older than him. If you decide to do the jacket, I would check out consignment shops and thift shops. We all know how much wear time those things get.

So do you suggest as an alternate to a jacket, shirt and tie that a shirt and tie would be appropriate? What were most boys in the 10 year old group wearing? I can take the time to get jackets, etc. but don't want to get there and find we're in the minority (after hearing moans and groans from my kids). What do you think?

Archived