Oceania transfers

Bulabula

Hello Cruisers,

I am curious to know if anyone has specific experience with transfer programs provided by Oceania, specifically in Athens and Istanbul.

I am wary about the transfers, even though the relatively high cost of $59 per person should ensure prompt reliable service.

I am leading a large group on Nautica in May from Athens to Istanbul and I would like to be able to say the $59 is worth it.

I have no reason to doubt Oceania in this, but have had recent experience with another cruise line. My clients paid for cruise line transfers (and cruise line air) and were left cooling their heals in Paris for hours because the cruise line was trying to save pennies by pooling a full bus together. This cruise line will remain nameless, but it rhymes with Wiking.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Many passengers on the June British Isles cruise waited for hours on a bus at Heathrow (London) until it filled up with enough people to drive a full bus down to Dover, where the ship sailed from. They were exhausted, having come in on overnight flights from the US on which many had not slept well.

To say that they were furious would be an understatement.

Some transfers work better than others. The trip to Dover is long and it would be inefficient to take small groups. Still, 3 1/2 hours sitting on a bus in an airport parking lot is a long time to wait.

Last May, we used Oceania's transfer from the port to the Athens airport, because they were anticipating a taxi strike. We were very pleased with the well organized transfer, which included a brief tour on our way to the airport.

If your group will be staying in Istanbul, it is a relatively short taxi ride to the nearby hotels. Enjoy your cruise, the itinerary is wonderful.

Hi Bulabula:

We have taken transfers from Oceania and found them to work fine. The cost may be high but you have to weigh this against convenience at both ends of cruise. We are taking Oceania cruise from Istanbul in Nov 2007 and will take the transfer. Prices vary depending on locations. Checking out other transfers may be an alternative but you would not know how reputable they are. Oceania is an excellent group and provide first class service. We are taking their transfers in May at Venice as well.

BulaBula

(Great screen name, btw) When flying to Europe, we always fly in at least one day in advance (if you EVER have a close call, you won't risk missing the ship again).

When we've used Oceania's transfers, as we are not arriving on the day of sailing, the Oceania representative will simply have a taxi waiting for us.

They arrange porters, luggage, tips, and directions to the hotel or cruise terminal.

For the peace of mind, it is well worth spending a few dollars extra......you're on vacation!

Hello everyone and thanks for chiming in on the transfers issue. I am moving ahead with plans to allow Oceania take the responsibilty to move my group from the airport to the ship. As I mentioned, I am always a little gunshy of cruise line transfers. I have had problems in the past and ground transportation companies have always been a weak link in the chain in any tour I have coordinated. I will include a follow up review on ground transportation when I post my Nautica review for the May 5th Athens/Istanbul sailing.

Brad

Archived