Lesbian Couples who love cruising

mithryl

This is a great thread but I noticed that there are so many of us with planned cruises it's difficult to see if someone else is traveling with you. There is another sight, just google lez cruises, and you'll find it. There you register your cruise and you can see a list of all crusies book and how many woman on each.

I just registered my Jan 2008 cruise and am the last cruise on the list..sigh

cheers,

PA

Funlady,

San Antonio is a great town. I live just outside of Dallas for a few years and visited San Antonio. Love the boat rides on the canal! (Guess I love anykind of boat...even really small ones!)

We haven't done Cozumel yet, but it's on my list of places to go. We're thinking of sailing out of Galveston to visit those ports. Do you every sail from the west coast?

Mithryl, This June we are sailing out of Seattle on the Golden to Alaska (probably could have picked a better itineray, but cost factored into this one). We loved the ports we sailed to in November! Talked this morning about revisiting those ports again. For me, it's the cruise itself, for V it's the ports and adventure. I am sure I will change my mind after Alaska! If you all did sail from Galveston which line do you think you would choose?

Funlady,

We live in the DFW area. And we both work for the post office!! Thankfully not in the same building....we would probably drive each other crazy. We are going on the Carnival Conquest out of Galveston Sept.23, 2007....ya'll should join us!!!

Postalgrrl, We sailed on the Conquest in November and would sail her again in a heart beat. The ports were wonderful and we have talked about sailing the Conquest again (duh I am repeating my posts, think I just said this).

Gosh 2 Postals in the same family- kind of scarey:). How long have you all been there? V gets to retire in 2 years and then we will be able to grab last minute super cruise deals. To think, it took this long for us to discover cruises- what a way to travel! Last cruise we meet and were adopted by 2 straight couples we meet here on a roll call and they really showed us the ropes in several ports. We checked the FOD meetings, but there didn't seem to ever be anyone there. Opps rambling...:o

Anyone hosting or going to a Super Bowl party????

Hi Everyone. I am so glad that I found this thread! I am Jennifer, 35, and me and my partner Mel, 44, are going on our first cruise together Sept. 16th, on Carnival out of New Orleans. We are going on a group cruise with a bunch of married straight couples, but we are compfortable around anyone, so we think the cruise will still be great. Thanks for the thread...and if anyone else is going on this cruise, please let me know!

What a great thread! My wife (47) and I (37) went on an Olivia cruise for our honeymoon and had a great time. We booked a cruise to Hawaii with them in November 2006, but coudln't go due to the wife going back to school. Olivia has a non-refundable $500 pp deposit, so we were out $1000 automatically, even though we canceled way ahead of time. Rather dissapointing business practices.

We did have a great cruise with them and absolutely loved being surrounded by a whole ship of lesbians, but I doubt we'll sail with them again. We do cruise on straight cruises and love Holland America. I'm taking a solo cruise on Carnival in the fall, which should be an interesting and fun experience. ;)

Hi Funlady,

I'll have to wait and see how our upcoming Hawaii cruise goes on Princess, I wasn't overly impressed with our first and only other sailing with them last year, but was willing to give them a second chance. I've really enjoyed RCCL. Sailed with them twice and both we're great experiences, I wouldn't hesitate sailing with them again...but Pincess seems to have good prices overall. (I'm not too interested in Carnival...which may have the best prices but has a reputation of a party boat...I'd be interested in others opiions and experiences with them.) I also haven't leaned toward NCL with their freestyle cruising. I guess I enjoy some of the more traditioanl flair.

Funlady,

I have been at th USPS for almost 20 yrs and J has been there 10 years. It's not so bad....she's a carrier and I'm a clerk. I wish it was almost time to retire, I'm 43and J is 39. We met at womens music festival down on the Guadelupe River in 1995.

This is a great thread but I noticed that there are so many of us with planned cruises it's difficult to see if someone else is traveling with you. There is another sight, just google lez cruises, and you'll find it. There you register your cruise and you can see a list of all crusies book and how many woman on each.

I just registered my Jan 2008 cruise and am the last cruise on the list..sigh

cheers,

PA

I mentioned them a while back, but because they are technically a travel agency we are not supposed to mention the name. So that might be why you didn't notice that I mentioned it. I am one of their original members, I was in the newsletter a couple of months ago. I am SO disappointed that I am going to miss one of their big group cruises - I will be going coming off the Norwegian Pearl the same day they are getting on! If only I was going a week later!

Hi All!

We're a couple from Orange County, CA. We'll be going on our first cruise ever aboard the Diamond Princess bound for the Mexican Riviera!

A Little About Us: I'm 41, the designated VP (vacation planner), and I'd be fine to sit by the pool and sip a cocktail; she's 42, has veto power and wants to "see things" from sun up to sun down.

Why We Do/Don't Want to Cruise: I like the idea of not having to pack up every couple of days, get to see a sampler of new places, some relaxation time built in and reduced overall VP stress. Partner doesn't like the idea of possibly being stuck on a boat with a bunch of old people, and not being able to fully experience destination cities.

Why we picked Itinerary: Close to home; 7-day RT; good "starter" cruise.

Why we picked Traditional: After researching all gay/lesbian cruises couldn't justify extra price. I look for a good value:dollar ratio balanced with wonderful life experiences. We'd rather go on a traditional cruise and have $$$ for spa treatments, excursions and great bottles of wine with dinner. For example, on our GB/Ireland trip we stayed at budget hotel a few nights so that we could stay several nights at 14th/15th Century castles in Ireland and Scotland.

Why we picked Princess: Available itinerary; Anytime Dining; doesn't have party repuation like Carnival; fewer children than might be attracted to NCL and RCI's shipboard bells & whistles; slightly better price than Celebrity and HAL and possibly closer to our age group.

Next Other Possible Cruises: 15-day RT from LA to Hawaii. This is the cruise I'd really like to go on if Riviera trip goes well, hopefully I can convince GF that 4 sea days on the way there means that we'll be rested up enough to go 90 mph while we're in the Islands and 4 sea days on the way back gives us both time to feel relaxed and refreshed when vacation is finished.

We'll see...

Happy sailings!

event.png

Wow, leave the boards for a month and look what you miss!

My partner and I started cruising in 2001 - and have managed to take a LOT of cruises in the past 6 years. We have also considered Olivia - they sound great - but tend to look for the bargains...we'd rather cruise more often.

Together we've done Princess, Celebrity, RCL, and I've done a NCL and a Carnival. We love cruising in Europe, but also really liked Alaska and the "around the horn" So America itinerary. Our favorite ships by far are the M-class Celebrity ships - we've been on all four of them. Our most recent was the Infinity in December from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires.

I'd like to try a transatlantic next, or a Russia river cruise. No definite plans yet - we have some land travel plans this spring and summer, so there may be no cruising in 2007.

We're both 48, from Boston - just celebrated our 25th anniversary (we're now legally married...yay Massachusetts!)

Glad this thread is so active!

-Ruth and Emily

Hi - I'm Lis from LezCruise and I want to thank both Meredith and PaddyAnne for mentioning us (we love them both) and also those of you who came to our site and posted your cruises. My partner Mary and I started the site because we love cruising and weren't really interested in Olivia. We thought it would be fun to have a way to see what cruises other women are on.

Although we do sell travel, I hope the moderators won't delete this post because that is not the main purpose of our web site. The main purpose is for women to be able to post the cruises they are on so that when you are planning to cruise you can see what cruises already have lesbians on them. And of course, the more cruises that are posted there, the more options we all have!

p.s. Ruth and Emily - we totally want to try a transatlantic also. Has anyone here ever done one? Do you get bored? I imagine I would just love it.

I mentioned them a while back, but because they are technically a travel agency we are not supposed to mention the name. So that might be why you didn't notice that I mentioned it. I am one of their original members, I was in the newsletter a couple of months ago. I am SO disappointed that I am going to miss one of their big group cruises - I will be going coming off the Norwegian Pearl the same day they are getting on! If only I was going a week later!

I'd like to try a transatlantic next, or a Russia river cruise.

I am really hoping to be able to count a Russia river cruise among my trips before I die. I love Russia, though I've never been there. I want to see Moscow AND St. Petersburg, and it would be fascinating to see all the little towns that the riverboats stop in along the way. My only concern is what the riverboat experience is like, since I have only been on bigger ships - the smallest was the Celebrity Zenith, 1354 guests vs. about 200 on some of Viking's ships!

We're both 48, from Boston - just celebrated our 25th anniversary (we're now legally married...yay Massachusetts!)

Congratulations! That's FANTASTIC!

Hello everyone! I am Sarah (27) from Tennessee and my girlfriend is 22. I have cruised before on Carnival and loved it. My girlfriend has never cruised before but is very excited about our trip this April with RC. We are a little apprehensive about taking a regular line but have found the same as most...pricing on Olivia is just too much.

We're most anxious about the dinner seating. It's unfortunate that it's even an issue, but we're thinking of avoiding the main dining room all-together because of this. Any advice?

Sarah

Hello everyone! I am Sarah (27) from Tennessee and my girlfriend is 22. I have cruised before on Carnival and loved it. My girlfriend has never cruised before but is very excited about our trip this April with RC. We are a little apprehensive about taking a regular line but have found the same as most...pricing on Olivia is just too much.

We're most anxious about the dinner seating. It's unfortunate that it's even an issue, but we're thinking of avoiding the main dining room all-together because of this. Any advice?

Sarah

Hi Sarah - I personally wouldn't avoid the main dining room. My experience is that people may not be used to gay couples, but that doesn't mean they're rude. I kind of see it as an opportunity to educate people. I've really only been on one cruise with assigned seating and everyone was totally cool with us as a couple (or if they weren't, they didn't say anything.) I've always found that the most awkward part is when they just don't get it, and once they get it, and get over it, everything is fine.

Lis

Sarah

Thanks Lis! I really want to do the formal thing, and she doesnt do girly so she's nervous about wearing a more masculine suit. I dont really think people would be rude to us, she just gets embarassed really easy and I would hate to put her in that position. However, we're not letting any of this ruin or rule our vacation.

Thanks Lis! I really want to do the formal thing, and she doesnt do girly so she's nervous about wearing a more masculine suit. I dont really think people would be rude to us, she just gets embarassed really easy and I would hate to put her in that position. However, we're not letting any of this ruin or rule our vacation.

What a great thread! We too like to cruise, but don't care to pay 2-3 times the fare for Olivia.

My partner and I are both 32 and will be going on our second cruise (first on Princess) in a couple of weeks. We're freezing in New England and can't wait for some warm weather!

Sarah - To me, the dining experience is one of the best parts of a cruise. We were on RC last year and had no problems with anyone. I lean toward the masculine side (would never wear a dress) and I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. I also noticed that people seemed to be seated in similiar age groups. If your tablemates don't seem cool, just ask the head waiter to be moved the next night...it's no big deal. btw - how are things in Knoxville? I'm from TN...UT c/o 97.

What a great thread! We too like to cruise, but don't care to pay 2-3 times the fare for Olivia.

My partner and I are both 32 and will be going on our second cruise (first on Princess) in a couple of weeks. We're freezing in New England and can't wait for some warm weather!

Sarah - To me, the dining experience is one of the best parts of a cruise. We were on RC last year and had no problems with anyone. I lean toward the masculine side (would never wear a dress) and I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. I also noticed that people seemed to be seated in similiar age groups. If your tablemates don't seem cool, just ask the head waiter to be moved the next night...it's no big deal. btw - how are things in Knoxville? I'm from TN...UT c/o 97.

Hi everyone.

There at least 29 of us communicating on this thread.

Two Rowboats,

I'm with you...dining is a great experience. We usually book a table for 6 to 8 so there is plenty of opportunity for conversation. We've never had a bad experience as a lesbian couple on a "traditional" cruise. The wierdest table mates we've ever had was actually on an Oliva Cruise with a table for 6. We couldn't relate to either of the other two couples we were seated with.

Sunshine,

Enjoy yourselves. I think you will find most people to be pretty open and formal night can be a lot of fun. If you really feel uncomfortable, just skip the main dining room on that night and go to the buffet or specialty dining. I personally rarely wear a dress (I'm more butch than my partner). I usually pick a nice pants/jacket outfit that is "me" but is definitely dressy. On ocassion, I've done a tux look and that works too.

Marylis,

Welcome, I checked out your site, but didn't find anyone that is on our next sailing (2/25/07 Island Princess to Hawaii). I like what you're trying to accomplish for our community...keep up the good work. There's one gay male couple on our next cruise that we know of so far...and no women that have checked in.

Ruthith,

Congratuations on your anniversary! We were married in Oregon in 2004, but it didn't "stick" legally. We'd love to try the tansatlantic experience as well.

Oc_chick,

We'll be doing the 15 day circle Hawaii cruise out of LA on Princess that you mentioned in just a few weeks (2/25/07). We'll let you know how it goes. We've done the Mexican Riviera twice. We usually stay on the ship, as we're not as fond of those ports, but it's a great first cruise experience for all the reasons you mentions.

To all...Keep sailing and keep posting. I'm so glad we can all share these experiences. Pass the word if you know other lesbian cruisers so we can extend our new community!

If anyone is interested in being able to share information outside of this board, (or the one Maryliz has) my email address is vicki.apple@verizon.net. Since we can't even use the buddy list to communicate individually with each other at this point, this seems to be our only other option. I do not share or mis-use email addresses and I trust that none of you will either.

Happy sailings!

2rowboats - Knoxville is cold!! As you know...we have the weirdest weather here. It'll be 18 degrees one day and 50 the next. I'm ready for spring! I work at UT how funny! Hope all is well with you! Go big orange!

Thanks for all the advice on dining ladies... we'll have a great time no matter what. This is a great thread!

Hey mithryl - We were married in Oregon too in 2004 (we live in Portland) and then a month later in Canada. At least the Canadian one's still legal (in Canada.)

Lis

We were married in Oregon in 2004, but it didn't "stick" legally. We'd love to try the tansatlantic experience as well.