Tampa Dive?

CruiseLunatic

Well, I've done a couple of dives off of St Pete Beach - I can't say they were memorable. There was a trip out to a couple of sunken barges and another that would go to the wreck of the Blackthorne

http://www.divespots.com/scuba/spotID-295/dive.divespot is one shop. These trips were a fairly long boat trip out....

An option would be to head north to Crystal River & Kings Bay and try to see Manatees .... you can find places to rent a John boat and gear - they give you a map and off you go. Did this once ... that was enough for me. Google it.... http://destinsharks.com/v/places/hangouts/crystlriver/

From Tampa either plan is gonna require a rental car and a very early start .....

May I recommend a trip to Bush Gardens Tampa, or maybe just a day on St Pete Beach? Head all the way south to Pas'a'grill beach and the Hurricane Lounge for a great grouper sandwich.....

We flew into Tampa two days before the cruise. On the late afternoon that we arrived, we rented a van and drove north to Crystal River, and stayed there one night. I did a night dive at King's Bay cavern while my wife and friends just joined on the pontoon for a evening cruise.

The next day (Sat.) we did the manatee snorkel and I did one more dive. In the afternoon we went to Rainbow River and did a very nice leisurely drift dive/snorkel. That night we went to Tampa to stay there one night. Then went on the cruise to W. Carribean ports (did dive/snorkel at all ports).

I should add that I did also look into diving near Tampa area in the morning before getting on the cruise (in the afternoon). Unfortunately there isn't much diving close by. Clearwater does NOT have clear water for diving. To dive, the boat trips leave early in the morning and usually don't get back till the early afternoon - not enough time to get on the cruise ship.

I should add that I did also look into diving near Tampa area in the morning before getting on the cruise (in the afternoon). Unfortunately there isn't much diving close by. Clearwater does NOT have clear water for diving. To dive, the boat trips leave early in the morning and usually don't get back till the early afternoon - not enough time to get on the cruise ship.

yes - concur

if by 'free day' that means for example fly in Thurs PM and board ship on Sat leaving all of Friday ... you could go to Crystal River. If 'free day' is part of a day you have no dive options....

The off shore stuff leaves from the Gulf Coast, near 'Johns Pass' altho there may be more farther north - most I know of are a good hour drive from Tampa and then the boat ride is out about 10 miles or more. They only did 1 a day....pack a lunch

hey - what about Weeki Wachee? An oldie but a goodie! I've wanted to dive their mermaid pool...but I don't think they allow that

http://www.weekiwachee.com/

More than 15 years ago (!) I got certified at a little shop in St. Petersburg. The name of the place was Diveboat Moorings, they had their own boat, and it may still be there.

Diving off the West Coast of Florida can be an acquired taste. Typical conditions are a bit murky, but beautiful days do happen. One of the finest Florida dives I ever did was on Hammerhead reef between Venice and Sarasota, just a few miles offshore.

If you want to do a dive or just hit the beach for shark's teeth, go to Casperson Beach, which is the next beach south of town in Venice (behind the airport). Sharky's at the pier is good for a fish sandwich and beverage afterwards.

Venice Beach itself was renourished a few years ago and I HEARD (take that for what it's worth) that the nice little reef offshore a couple hundred yards was buried as well as the best section of shark's tooth hunting. It may be all washed out again as I have not been down there in a couple years.

I like Capt_BJ's idea of going down to St. Pete Beach to the Hurricane for a grouper sandwich & beer best. They also had REAL crabcakes, which you don't often find in Florida.

Actually, you CAN dive Weeki Wachee! I just found this link. That sounds like a fun trip for a summertime weekend! http://diveweekiwacheesprings.com/store/index.html

Wendy

More than 15 years ago (!) I got certified at a little shop in St. Petersburg. The name of the place was Diveboat Moorings, they had their own boat, and it may still be there.

Diving off the West Coast of Florida can be an acquired taste. Typical conditions are a bit murky, but beautiful days do happen. One of the finest Florida dives I ever did was on Hammerhead reef between Venice and Sarasota, just a few miles offshore.

If you want to do a dive or just hit the beach for shark's teeth, go to Casperson Beach, which is the next beach south of town in Venice (behind the airport). Sharky's at the pier is good for a fish sandwich and beverage afterwards.

Venice Beach itself was renourished a few years ago and I HEARD (take that for what it's worth) that the nice little reef offshore a couple hundred yards was buried as well as the best section of shark's tooth hunting. It may be all washed out again as I have not been down there in a couple years.

I like Capt_BJ's idea of going down to St. Pete Beach to the Hurricane for a grouper sandwich & beer best. They also had REAL crabcakes, which you don't often find in Florida.

Actually, you CAN dive Weeki Wachee! I just found this link. That sounds like a fun trip for a summertime weekend! http://diveweekiwacheesprings.com/store/index.html

Wendy

That's cool! (pun intended - I find Spring diving a might bit chilly myself) - diving the head of the spring would be almost as cool as doing the tank @ Epcot - might have to check it out next time in Central FL....

Intersting thought...isn't the aquarium next door to the cruise terminal?

Next door to the Carnival terminal - a bit of a hike from the HAL terminal, but I think there are shuttles. We parked our car, dumped our luggage and did the dive just before boarding. On board in time for lunch.

Next door to the Carnival terminal - a bit of a hike from the HAL terminal, but I think there are shuttles. We parked our car, dumped our luggage and did the dive just before boarding. On board in time for lunch.

Is there a web link for this? I did the Epcot dive & is was a hoot. I go to Tampa fairly often...do you need ur own gear or is it like Epcot where you MUST wear theirs? (good reason...they don't want you to bring contaminants into the tank)

I'm very interested

Thanks everyone. The input is helpful. We are there a day and a half but the fish sandwich idea sounded the best up until the Aquarium idea. That may be a goodie. Thanks for tip on Epcot also. That's next year's trip with family.

Thanks everyone. The input is helpful. We are there a day and a half but the fish sandwich idea sounded the best up until the Aquarium idea. That may be a goodie. Thanks for tip on Epcot also. That's next year's trip with family.

The Epcot - living seas - dive is a great one. Epcot Dive Quest

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/tourDetail?id=EpcotDiveQuestTourPage

I did it several years ago and it was a BLAST. You become a Disney cast member for a few hours (and are expected to perform to their standards)

One of my MOST memorable Christmas presents.

^^^^^

trust me - the grouper sandwich at the Hurricane may be better than the aq' dive....it's THAT good. Whenever in Tampa I WILL drive the hour to p'grill beach just for one. Last trip I had two car loads follow me and EVERYONE said it was worth the trip. Hit John's Pass on the way back and visit the little store that still has original paintings of clowns by Red Skelton ... but keep one hand on your wallet cuz u may be tempted. Last visit they still had $20,000 paintings.....

http://www.flaquarium.org/html/l2/l2_explore_dive.html

Here is the address for the shark dive. We had to use their stuff - I can't remember if we used our own masks. You don't swim around like you do at Epcot. You kneel down and the sharks explore you. There is a huge grouper and he decided I was his new girlfriend - sat on my head the own time. The picture is hysterical, but you'll just have to trust me since I don't have an electronic copy.

If you go to the aquarium, be sure to take time to look around. They have some great exhibits.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived