Something new to consider when booking

ron46936

Just got back from the Norwegian Jewel and overall had a great time.

On the down side tho we were surprised the find out the cruise was a special one for fans (over 800) of a rock band named "Moe." In order to accomodate the performances of Moe, some of the regular cruise passenger events were rearranged. The most disturbing though was the fans making a lot of noise in the hallways at the wee hours. Overall it was much more of a Carnival Cruise than what I've come to expect from NCl.

Next time before I book I have my TA check to see if any special bands or groups will be aboard before I book.

Next time before I book I have my TA check to see if any special bands or groups will be aboard before I book.

Unfortunately this is easier said than done. The cruise lines (and I've seen this discussed on the other boards as well) can't or won't share that information. It becomes a hotly debated issue. The cruise lines need the groups and the individuals don't want to book if they know there is a group. Keep in mind that just about all cruises have "groups." I had a "group" in July, but there were only 25 of us.

It would be good to have a board or even a thread where members could posts Ship and dates of large groups they are aware of.

There was a thread on the "Bear" cruise and some issues on RCCL. The plan was for that group to be on the Nov. 2, 2007 Pearl. This thread made me check on the old link I saved. They have moved that cruise to late Oct. on The Emerald Princess.

It would be good to have a board or even a thread where members could posts Ship and dates of large groups they are aware of.

There was a thread on the "Bear" cruise and some issues on RCCL. The plan was for that group to be on the Nov. 2, 2007 Pearl. This thread made me check on the old link I saved. They have moved that cruise to late Oct. on The Emerald Princess.

Yeah, and the debate is going hot and heavy on the Princess board

Ron- I was also on this cruise and only found out about the Moe people a couple of weeks before the cruise. I am a TA and only heard about this group when mentioned on the roll call board for this trip. I had NO idea there were going to be 800 though!!

I agree, we kind of got the shaft on entertainment because of the large group but overall I was not disturbed by the fan base. I had issues with loud talking late at night from our balcony neighbors but they were not MOE'ers.

It would be great to know ahead of time..I had booked this cruise though in August of 2005! We had a great time regardless and only really disappointed at missing the private island of Stirrup Cay. Marilyn

Within the next few weeks there will be a Cruise Critic article on this very subject... a round-up of (obviously not every) theme cruises and special interest cruises.

Look for it!

Jana

Archived