renting a dive camera?

BalconyLover

Hello! Does anyone know if Carnival (and/or dive ops used by Carnival) offer rentals on dive cameras?

We are on the Valor 2-4-07 and my DH is diving at all but one port of call, he thinks he would like a camera, BUT it sounds like a lot of money for a good one, and not even sure he would like and/or use --- IMHO it would take away from the dive experience, anyhoo....any ideas out there on rental and/or suggestion of a good inexpensive dive camera? Thanks!

If you should consider buying a point and shoot digital camera for general use, some--such as Olympus, have uw housings available for purchase. Or, if you already have a digital, there may be a housing in the $100.-$200. range. The cheapest would be one time use cameras for uw. Try a couple of different ones I suggest. Then, if it proves interesting; move up.

Bruce-r pointed to a couple in Cozumel, I don't know who Carnival uses--but they very likely have cameras for rent in all the Valor ports. In Belize the contractor is probably still Hugh Parkey's dive shop. They pick up at the ship, so one would have to make arrangements by email or phone.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just reading another thread and they were recommending this camera..

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SS01&cpc=SCH

it is about $15.00 and reuseable. The other thread is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=469496

(if the link doesn't work, search in the scuba forum for

Best bargain in an underwater film camera?)

Good luck!

Steven

1. That bag idea won't work very long ... remember that pressure thing. What a housing does is protect the shutter release from the xx pounds pushing down (among other things). Bags are OK for surface snorkeling.

2. That $15 job 'good for 100 feet' looks interesting for a beginner. If it leaks what have you lost? But a 100 foot cert' is trustworthy for 20 :p in my opinion. A decent dive watch is certified to way more than that right? But like I said, no major loss @ $15, 'cept the pix. On the plus side a first time u/w photog' probably wants point & shoot ... super simple.

3. Wanna go farther? Have you checked your home dive shops that rent gear? You may find one that rents decent cameras by the week. I know that Sunset House and a couple of other places in Cayman rent 'the good stuff' including u/w video. You may find a local shop that rents a decent digital housing or a Nikonos' 35mm. (yes, some people STILL shoot film :D ). 'course ya gotta drag it then.....

BUT, referring back to #2 - you may want to keep it simple the first time out. I've used a Hannimex 35mm for (too many) years. Fewer settings than the Nik' {and motor drive}. Have rented u/w video a few times ...

If U do go for that $15 special don't get your hopes up .... and remember u/w you need to be CLOSE to your subject. Long shots work 1 in 1000.

Archived