travel insurance -when to buy

njs

The Carnival Holiday cruise is tagged as a Western Caribbean, so that's what I will go with!

You will be fine with that :) As I mentioned if you are leary in anyway call the insurer you booked thru.. I have had nothing but great help from them.. we used insuremytrip.. and CSA works for us.. as we are Canucks;)

Is it alright to have policy sent to my home and then give to my daughter, even though the cruise documents are being sent to her house? I just wanted to make sure having different mailing addresses would not cause a problem with claims.

It's OK as long as you both live in the same state. Each state has their own insurance dept and they can insist on certain wordings or modifications to the policy. For example, some plans include rental car CDW coverage in with the base premium. OR and TX do not allow this so that coverage is void for residents of those states. The printed information sent by the insurer will reflect all of the changes.

If your daughter lives in another state from you and you use your mailing address to purchase the policy, the plan information may not be exactly accurate for her. In a claims situation, there may be some confusion -- she thinks such and such is covered because she's looking at a different description of coverage than the claims people are.

i don't always do this, but i prefer to wait to add my trip insurance until the penalty phase sets in or until final pymt is due. b/c if you have to cancel b/4 those times, your deposit is fully refundable. trip ins, however, is non-refundable. so you will definitely lose that $ if you have to reschedule or cancel your cruise. w/ me i buy ins for 5 so it adds up, and is worth the wait.

Hi truecruiser,

I can't speak for all travel insurance companies, but the ones I'm most familiar with allow you to change your coverage dates as long as you do that before your departure date. That way you don't lose the money you paid for your insurance.

I hope this helps.

Hi truecruiser,

I can't speak for all travel insurance companies, but the ones I'm most familiar with allow you to change your coverage dates as long as you do that before your departure date. That way you don't lose the money you paid for your insurance.

I hope this helps.

i'm guessing you mean if you have to re-schedule and you know which ship you'll be on, right?

i cancelled a land vacation last year (to Hawaii) to go on another cruise instead and to take a second vacation out west. i completely lost that $, but got all of my hawaii deposit $ back. and it always says, non-refundable, though no one ever offered to "transfer" it to the new trip. if i'm understanding you correctly that you can do this, that's great to know. thank you!

i'm guessing you mean if you have to re-schedule and you know which ship you'll be on, right?

i cancelled a land vacation last year (to Hawaii) to go on another cruise instead and to take a second vacation out west. i completely lost that $, but got all of my hawaii deposit $ back. and it always says, non-refundable, though no one ever offered to "transfer" it to the new trip. if i'm understanding you correctly that you can do this, that's great to know. thank you!

Hi truecruiser,

Actually, you can change the travel dates to any other trip of any kind. If you end up with a lower trip cost, some plans give you a partial premium refund. And if your cost is higher you can increase the coverage if it's needed.

IMHO I think some of people who sell trip insurance don't tell people this because it's more work for them & they don't make extra money to do the change.

Hi truecruiser,

Actually, you can change the travel dates to any other trip of any kind. If you end up with a lower trip cost, some plans give you a partial premium refund. And if your cost is higher you can increase the coverage if it's needed.

IMHO I think some of people who sell trip insurance don't tell people this because it's more work for them & they don't make extra money to do the change.

well, thanks to you, they now have one less dummy to contend with;) . i'm all the more wiser now to insist on transferring the coverage if ever faced w/ that situation again.

of course i ended up buying insurance (again) w/ a diff company for the cruise. it wld have been nice to know that i cld have kept the same ins. company and transferred what was paid and have it applied toward the ins. for the cruise. thank you for that info.

I don't want to throw a wrench into this thread but "MAKE SURE" to read the fine print in your policy. Some policies "DO NOT" cover airfare if the airline is in bankrupcy. I.E. If your flying in on Delta your policy may not cover your trip if Delta folds (won't happen) . Save some grief and read the policy you choose carefully.........

It's generally true of almost all major third-party plans that you can transfer the premium to just about any replacement trip if done prior to the originally scheduled departure date.

But if you purchased the tour company's own coverage (either insurance or a cancellation fee waiver) your options may be severely limited or none at all. The premium may not be transferrable even to another trip through the tour operator and will certainly not be transferable to any trip not booked through them.

the best trip delay insurance I've found so far is specialty risk which has a 3 hr delay refund.Carnival says that their insurance is 49.00 each and I get my money back if i miss the ship.It's not like I can just fly to the Keys and get on there if I miss the boat,you cant't board any other port in the US other than the one scheduled.I'd have to fly to Calica and get on the boat there.By then the trips almost over! Does anyone know any other insurance with less than a 3 hr. trip delay??

Archived