Paying to eat

blondblueeyes

I've been on two other cruise lines and I'm really concerned about either waiting over an hour for the "free" evening dining rooms or having to shell out even more money. What do they serve on the Star as far as the dinner menu?

Thanks-:confused:

NCL Star - 2007

RCL Vision of the Sea - 2006

Carnival Paradise - 2005

First, stop listening to those who want to discredit Freestyle by saying there are waits over an hour. That would be very rare, just when everyone decides to eat at the same time. I've never waited over ten minutes. I've waited longer than that with traditional waiting for them to open the doors (Late).

NCL star, sept 2006 alaska..family of 7

1 night versailles - all 7 of us.. made reservations for FIL's health reasons. he can't wait to eat. he really wanted the lobster on captain's night. after that..no reservations (6:30pm)

all 7 at aqua..no reservations. no wait..great service. (7pm)

5 at aqua..no reservations, no wait. (7:30 pm)

2 at endless summer, no reservations..20 mins way (8:30pm)

all 7 at cagneys'..reservatons day before, early for 1/2 price dinners.

other nights were buffet.

beef wellington at main dining rooms got major raves. lobster tails on captain's night were very good. i had a lasagne that was to die for..very different..no cheese..a plum/tomato sauce..noodles were almost crispy.

rack of lamb was excellent, great sauce (burgundy type)..cook just right (med rare). all of these were available at the main dining rooms.

the meat and taters guy ordered just that every night, even if it wasn't listed on the menu.

don't forget blue lagoon at afternoon or late night snacks. especially for alaska..hot chili, wings. pound cake, cookies, coffe, tea..all available around the blue lagoon.

the younger couple had a date night at the soho..surcharge restaurant..they loved the service, didn't care for one of the dishes, love the other.

our ship was sold out ...FULL..never saw a line for food..EXCEPT for the chocolate buffet.

I've been on two other cruise lines and I'm really concerned about either waiting over an hour for the "free" evening dining rooms or having to shell out even more money. What do they serve on the Star as far as the dinner menu?

Thanks-:confused:

NCL Star - 2007

RCL Vision of the Sea - 2006

Carnival Paradise - 2005

The dinner menus are the same fleet wide so if you search for the new menus which have been posted recently you will see what will be on offer.

Like the previous poster, we have found wait times to be minimal. I also consider the surchages to be minimal ($10 - $20) but, if money was a main consideration, I would have no problem eating every night in either a main dining room or in one of the no-charge specialty restaurants.

you are listening to stories that are exagerated like retired said: The only time we waited at all was a party of about 20 on the Jewel. We were CCers, last get together before the end of the cruise: yes, we did wait about 15 minutes or so and no, we didn't get to all sit together. Other than that, I am not sure we have waited more than 2 minutes: we have eaten as early as 5:45 and as late as 8:30, normally about 6:45. With many free dining places, extra charge places, etc none are ever overflowing. The groups that do occassional have a wait are 8 or more who choose to eat at 7:00-8:00 pm. Many who claim they waited forever cruised NCL before they had the bugs worked out. I have clients that sailed the Star in November, they loved everything about the ship, food, entertaiment, crew and never complained about a wait. My boss and his entire family cruised her in October. I am doing a group for this coming October. Now, take the negatives with a grain of salt and don't worry. BTW, I think you should try one of the specialty dining rooms; it is worth the extra bucks. NMnita

We have never waited more than 5 minutes except one 10 minute wait on captain's night & we got there early. The food in the dining rooms is comparable to Carnival and Royal Carribbean, the other lines we have been on. In fact, in our opinion the best dining room food we have had was on the Norwegian Sun. Service on all 3 lines was about the same - all great. Speciality restaurants are available if you choose and are fantastic. We enjoy traditional dining, but given a choice prefer free-style. We're trying different lines & making our own comparisons.

Archived