Tell Us About Your Negative Experiences With Table Mates

Acey

with all the unhappy cruisers because of missed ports, i can only imagine what great tablemate conversations are going on now.

i do not eat in the dining room very much because it seems my husband starts talking with someone at the table and forgets i am on this other side. i really do not like sharing my life story with strangers. does not bother my husband at all.

Gah, this thread has me really worried. In all of my cruises we have never really had a truly bad experience, which leaves me wondering, is my family the one that everyone complains about later! LOL I certainly hope not, and can't really imagine why, but who knows?

On our first cruise I was a bit young so I don't remember, but I guess one older woman would complain about each and every food item brought to her ad nauseum. Other than that, the only "bad" tablemates we have had, are those who never showed up, or only did once or twice. Luckily that has only happened at large tables and at least one or two other groups has been there no matter what.

on our med cruise we were put in a booth for 4 people. what a scare that was. lucky for us the other couple did not show up the first night. we were so happy. the next night they did not show up again. the following day we met a fellow cruiser on the hoho bus. we had a great visit with them. believe it or not, when we came to dinner that evening the fellow we met on the hoho was seated at a large table adjacent to ours. he came over and invited us to join their table since one of the couples at their table had changed to late dining. he went to a lot of trouble with waters, etc. and got it done. we joined them and met 5 other really nice people. the best tablemates we have ever had on any of our cruises.

and yes the next night our original tablemates showed up but we were at another table. do not know how that might have worked out but we were glad we made the change.

My only bad experiences have been with open seating at lunch. In one case on X, my DH and I approached a 10-top table behind the waiter who was leading us. I was carrying my 14 month old son who was absolutely quiet in my arms just looking around at all of the people, lights, etc. The couple already at the table shot daggers at us with their eyes. Taken aback, we hesitated and I asked politely if they minded if we joined them. The woman stood up, threw her napkin down on her plate and stomped off without speaking to us, and the man followed her. Either we walked into a marital tiff already in progress, or we happened upon some of those people who think children don't belong on 'their' cruise.

Other times when cruising solo, I've encountered women who apparently think that the only reason a woman would cruise solo is to find some extracurricular action and were not reticent at informing me of this fact. So memo to also you female solo travellers - don't forget to pack your scarlet A. ;)

Best dining experience ever? While cruising solo, I was seated with a mother, her son and a friend of his. The two men were gay, though not a couple. We had an amazing time. Great conversation, lots of laughs, we took turns buying a bottle of wine for the table each night and the gentlemen ran interference when I was repeatedly stalked by the Yum Yum man - who apparently *was* looking for some extra-curricular action.

Funniest line of that cruise? From one of the men - "If I woke up in the middle of the night and saw that little red hat on the floor, I think I'd just have to shoot myself!"

I was just thinking about this thread a few days ago.

This wasn't truly a bad experience, but I one time I sat at table during breakfast with a bunch of very wealth individuals. They were all older and although no one was rude I felt like Jack Dawson on the Titanic during dinner.

I thought this was a funny experience..This guy at our table from the Dominican Republic asked this other guy where he was from and the other guy said " Utah," then the guy asked " so are you a Morman or a poligamist?"

I totally agree with you, it would be incredibly easy for them to make sure solo travelers are at he same table or at least in similar age range. I appreciated the fact when we sailed two years ago, they matched my daughter and I, who brought a teen friend with, with a like family. It made the cruise that much more fun to have that commonality.

Yes, I hope too that Carnival does make attempts at compatibility. That story on this thread about "Lester the Molester" was disturbing! Would Carnival really grant a man's request that only single women be assigned to "his" table? It seems an obvious imposition on other passengers. I hope Carnival does not really disregard the comfort of other guests to grant out-of-line requests.

On my honeymoon, my tablemates probally thought i was crazy! My husbanmd would not shut up about me trying the escargo. SO finally i tried it, in a effort not to taste it i tried to swallow it whoole and ended up choking.. after a few seconds my hubby pat me on the back and out it came. Right in front of another womans dinner plate.:eek:

hahahaa. This is a good thread. This is basically what deterred us from going to the diningroom again.

There was one couple that were celebrating their anniversary. He was a huge guy and putting on aires. We couldn't even get our drinks because he was ordering special wine and taste testing it. He was also ordering other drinks and items constantly. I guess he wanted us to think he was all important. I felt sorry for his wife because she did appear like she was somewhat embarrassed by the whole thing.

The wait staff was catering to him too. I guess if he wanted that much attention, he should have asked for a table for 2.

We almost got up and walked out because the others were getting their drinks and appetizers and it was as if we weren't there. It didn't not hamper our trip, we just didn't eat there again. That was my first cruise and my first and lasting visit to the dining area.

About 10 years ago my family of 4 was seated at the same table as this family of 4 from Beverly Hills who never made us forget that they came from Beverly Hills. The husband thought he looked like Burt Reynolds but he really looked like Harvey Korman. Anyway, the daughter had extreme psychological issues and had actually tried to kill her younger brother. Younger brother, on the other hand, was a near genius kid. Crazy daughter insisted on "babysitting" our boys (8 & 5 y/o) one night so we could enjoy our evening. Yes, we'll enjoy our evening knowing that our children are being taken care of by a loon with homicidal tendancies. It didn't make for a good situation and I nearly came to blows with the father over the babysitting.

We are usually a table of 7 ourselves and have done most of our cruising on NCL, so we have not had tablemates so far. I do recall a very loud woman seated at table next to us though. Whenever something struck her as funny (which was, unfortunately, every few minutes) she absolutely shrieked like a hyena for several minutes. This was accompanied by banging her hands on the table and feet on the floor. Luckily, we only had to endure "Miss Hoot 'n Holler" (as my DH referred to her) for one meal, as it was open seating.

Almost every cruise we go on is a "family" cruise. My husband and I go with my sister and brother-in-law and my dad. Usually, we are at a table by ourselves, but for some reason we were seated with another couple.

The husband was really nice, but the wife was so full of herself. She got a huge pendant on the cruise and proceeded to tell us how she bought it herself. Every time the photographer came by, she fluffed her hair, and smiled as though she were the only person in the dining room. All week long we listened to how wonderful she is.

They didn't make it to dinner the first night, and our family chose seats. The next night, they came to dinner and took two of the seats we had chosen. None of us said a word about it though. The next night, we got there before them and once again took the seats we had the first night. She was really angry and asked us, "What did you do, line up half an hour early to get your seats?" I sooooooooooooo wanted to smack her.

The rest of the nights we got there before them, so we had our seats. We didn't rush or anything, they just went to the Concierge Lounge early ( This was on RCI) and we went just an hour before dinner. When we arrived in the lounge, they were just leaving to go get ready for dinner.

The second formal night, the photographer wanted to take a picture of everyone at the table. She said to the photographer, "I don't know these people well enough to have my picture taken with them." I almost laughed 'til I cried.

She was/is without a doubt the most pompous a$$ I have ever met on a cruise. It's funny because she posts on CC. Her profile tells she is sooooooooo much younger than her husband. Maybe someday she will grow up and see that her husband is the one with the class she wishes she had.

On our honeymoon cruise we were seated across from a couple who were basically mute. Until one night the husband got up and ran off in the middle of dinner....the next night they actually spoke.....about the reason for his sudden departure.......Montezuma's..........:eek::eek::eek::eek:

They didn't make it to dinner the first night, and our family chose seats. The next night, they came to dinner and took two of the seats we had chosen. None of us said a word about it though. The next night, we got there before them and once again took the seats we had the first night. She was really angry and asked us, "What did you do, line up half an hour early to get your seats?" I sooooooooooooo wanted to smack her.

From reading the rest of your post, I don't doubt that she was an, um, interesting tablemate, but this particular statement has me scratching my head a little bit. If they weren't there for the first night, how were they to know what seats you had chosen? I just can't imagine how one should be expected to know this, or why/how anything could be said to them. People aren't mind readers. :confused:

From reading the rest of your post, I don't doubt that she was an, um, interesting tablemate, but this particular statement has me scratching my head a little bit. If they weren't there for the first night, how were they to know what seats you had chosen? I just can't imagine how one should be expected to know this, or why/how anything could be said to them. People aren't mind readers. :confused:

I have often wondered why it is that people tend to always sit in the same spot at a table once it has been claimed. On one of my earlier cruises somebody actually told me I was in their seat. To me it makes things more interesting to move around and not sit in the exact same spot, though sitting next to family/friends can still be accomplished. I don't like that sense of ownership when it comes to seats.

I have often wondered why it is that people tend to always sit in the same spot at a table once it has been claimed. On one of my earlier cruises somebody actually told me I was in their seat. To me it makes things more interesting to move around and not sit in the exact same spot, though sitting next to family/friends can still be accomplished. I don't like that sense of ownership when it comes to seats.

Interestingly enough, this correlates with introversion/extraversion, which is an inborn personality correlate. Introverts prefer to sit in the same place in classroom, in a lecture hall, in a cafeteria, in the MDR, etc. And yes, they may feel intruded upon if someone purposefully or accidentally sits in 'their' seat. as introverts, they will be reticent to cause a confrontation over it, though they *will* often look for a way to reclaim their seat if they can do so, such as by arriving early.

Extraverts typically like to move around, meet new people and generally don't understand the 'that's my seat' thing.

Neither one is wrong, per se, just different. Here's one way to look at it. One of the theories of introversion/extraversion involves the sensitivity of the central nervous system. Introverts respond more strongly to stimulus than extraverts, so they often seek to *reduce* extraneous stimuli. You can see this in their preference for dimmer lights, soft or no music, fewer but closer friends.

Extraverts respond less strongly to stimulus, so they often like to increase stimuli by turning up the music, having all the lights on, talking on the phone while watching TV, etc.

Sitting in the same place over and over reduces new stimuli. The view of the room is the same, the people around them are the same, the visual distances are the same. For the introvert, this is comfort-producing and conducive to things like concentration, learning and enjoyment.

Interestingly enough, this correlates with introversion/extraversion, which is an inborn personality correlate. Introverts prefer to sit in the same place in classroom, in a lecture hall, in a cafeteria, in the MDR, etc. And yes, they may feel intruded upon if someone purposefully or accidentally sits in 'their' seat. as introverts, they will be reticent to cause a confrontation over it, though they *will* often look for a way to reclaim their seat if they can do so, such as by arriving early.

Extraverts typically like to move around, meet new people and generally don't understand the 'that's my seat' thing.

Neither one is wrong, per se, just different. Here's one way to look at it. One of the theories of introversion/extraversion involves the sensitivity of the central nervous system. Introverts respond more strongly to stimulus than extraverts, so they often seek to *reduce* extraneous stimuli. You can see this in their preference for dimmer lights, soft or no music, fewer but closer friends.

Extraverts respond less strongly to stimulus, so they often like to increase stimuli by turning up the music, having all the lights on, talking on the phone while watching TV, etc.

Sitting in the same place over and over reduces new stimuli. The view of the room is the same, the people around them are the same, the visual distances are the same. For the introvert, this is comfort-producing and conducive to things like concentration, learning and enjoyment.

I just learned a lot.

Well this was certainly interesting. Even though I like to change seats, I would probably identify myself as an introvert though.

OK......here's mine. First night at dinner, me and the kids dressed to the nine's and having a ball when who walks up to the table?....The Beverly Hillbilly's......lol. Now, let me state for the record that I am certainly not judging anyone, but when the male of the trio threw his Marlboro's on the table and shouted, " How ya'll doin'?....", I knew it was going to be interesting to say the least. The other two ladies already seated at the table were sitting there with there jaws dropped and looking at me like ," What in the world ????". Well.......it gets better. One of the ladies in the Hillybilly trio decided on unsweetened tea for her beverage and if I'm lyin' I'm dyin'......after she put her Splenda in the tea she stirred it for a good 10 minutes ( seriously !!! ). She stirred it for so long all the ice melted !! It made so much noise ( the spoon banging on the glass ) that other diners at adjacent tables started turning around to see what the noise was. Well.....we got through that meal with some other memorable comments ( some of them racial and very inappropriately spewed out from the male of the group ) along with mispronunciations of menu items that were hilarious to say the least.

The next day, I ran into the male of the trio on deck and he asked me if I was "goin' to dinner tonight ?". I replied "Yes", and he said, "Well we aint because I saw one of them lobsters and they ain't even a whole lobster......it was just the tail !". Thanking the Good Lord that they weren't going to be joining us and busting a gut laughing inside, all I could respond with was, "Well...that's too bad". He also stated that "we didn't even brang any dressy clothes to wear "..........needless to say we didn't have the "pleasure" of dining with them the rest of the trip. The truly bad part of this whole experience was that the two lovely ladies that were dining with us the first night were so shocked from the initial meeting that they changed their dining times. Luckily, I had the chance to speak with them during the cruise and had some lovely conversations and even went with them on a shore excursion. Can't wait until July.....:) ;)

I just learned a lot.

Yes, that was a very interesting post. I wonder too if different family habits play into this one. When my daughter first met her fiance he would sit down at the head of our dinner table not seeming to realize that this is my husband's seat. Turned out he just comes from a family with a round dinner table and no "assigned seating". He was just unfamiliar with the concept that the seat at the head of the table might hold any special significance in some families. That said, I certainly would not expect others in a public dining room that we do not own (like a ship) to cater to our family habits.

One strange experience with tablemates was on our last cruise. The first night we ate at a table for 4. The lady with the other couple had a notebook, and every question they would ask us, she would write down something in this notebook. I am bad with remembering names so I could understand writing that down. But everything we said, she wrote something in her notebook. She would put her fork down while eating to write. It made me feel terribly uncomfortable during the conversation. We had requested a change before we ever met them due to our dining time being late and we requested the early time. I was glad we didn't have to sit with them each night.

Archived