Sharpen you pencils for math class

Ok, this question is going to remind you a lot of math class.

I want to know about Eastern Standard Time and Central Standard Time as it pertains to Legend of the Seas March 10th- 17th cruise out of Tampa. I also need to throw in Daylight saving time which mind you starts this year on March 11th, that’s right while we are on ship. So this is the schedule as best as I could figure it out:

March 12th Grand Cayman Islands – EST (no DST) Ship time 9am- 5pm Port time 8am-4pm

March 13th Costa Maya - CST (no DST) Ship time 10am – 6pm Port time 8am – 4pm

March 14th Belize – CST (no DST) Ship time 7am – 5pm Port time 5am – 3pm

March 15th Cozumel – CST (no DST) Ship time 7am – 11pm Port time 5am – 9pm

Ok now for the questions:

Does the ship change the ship time to the port time?

Please only answer if you know or have something really, really funny to say, we have read a lot of conflicting reports and when I spoke to a reputable tour operator he said “Based on the schedule that RCCL has given the port authority in Belize, we're assuming that the Legend of the Seas will be in Belize from 5 am to 3 pm March 14 7 am to 5 pm ship time”

I find it hard to believe that we will be having dinner (early seating) at 4pm Port time in Cozumel ( well we won’t we will be a Ponchos Backyard)

None of our previously booked excursions are in jeopardy, I just don’t want to end up standing on the pier while the ship pulls away, on Christmas, with my child on the ship, with nothing but a Speedo on……….

Sorry just had to get that in.

Thanks for the info if anyone knows.

Having graduated from Stanford with honors in math way back in 19X7 --

I have to say I am thoroughly confused!!??

;)

Seriously -- it has been our experience that the ship will keep you well posted on the time situation. Frequently they will change time at midnight, and there will be a notice in the program and usually on your pillow reminding you. On occasion, however, they do not change time, and the official ship's time will differ from the "island" time. This is rarely a problem, because everybody involved with the tourist trade is well aware of it and makes allowances for it. The time to reboard the ship will always be in the program as ship's time.

However, if you are making some sort of independent reservations, you do want to double check. You can always ask the driver or the bartender what the local time is!

Have a GREAT cruise!

It has been my experience that it will vary from ship to ship and captain to captain..........there is no definitive answer on whether a ship will or won't change it's clocks............keep checking the daily compass.......there really is no way to 100% answer this........you never know.

I don't think anyone can tell you with any certainty what will happen on your cruise.

I can tell you for sure that on my last Grandeur cruise, we changed our clocks for both the end of Daylight Savings Time as well as entering and departing the Central Time Zone. Each change was announced throughout the ship, as well as boldly listed at the top of the front page of the daily newsletter.

Theron

Daylight savings time always begins the first Sunday in April. I don't ever recall it being in March.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

DST commonly begins in the northern hemisphere on the last Sunday in March or the first Sunday in April, and ends on the last Sunday in October. However, due to the Energy Policy Act of 2005, beginning in 2007, the United States will begin observing DST from the second Sunday in March until the first Sunday in November. (Studies will determine if this remains permanent.)

Theron

Changing the time is what I experienced on our Voyager cruise in 2003, but they did not on Jewel in 2006, and I had read that they had gotten rid of changing the time and just stayed in EST I will wait and see.

Thank you for those who posted up and had a clue what I was talking about because it is TWO hours this time not just one. That is how you miss the boat.

Thanks Theron for setting me straight. I had old info, but I have to say that this change makes me happy, as I like daylight savings time. Do you know if it converts back sooner than the last Sunday in October?

Thanks again.

it seems to depend on the Captain. We did not change on the Freedom in October, but did on the Legend in November.

Just pay attention to the Compass as to time changes (or not, as the case may be). Also, the where you are channel on the TV has the time. It took a while for the time to change on the TV on the Legend as we sailed from CST to EST. But we still never missed a meal.

I am not so concerned about missing a meal, eating at 4pm would be bothers some.

Although if I did get off the ship at 5am or have to run for the ship after being in the bar in Cozumel until 11pm oh, wait the ship left two hours ago, It would be strange to me if they did not change it due to these or other scenarios.

I just was booking a tour for 9am local time Belize which is five hours so it would finish at 2pm local time which would be 1 hour before the ship left, now the tour operator set me straight as MercedMike said they would. I was just wondering if anyone knew if RCI had a set policy (which it does not appear they do) since they are already shorting me an hour on this cruise, Hey should I ask for compensation?

Thanks Theron for setting me straight. I had old info, but I have to say that this change makes me happy, as I like daylight savings time. Do you know if it converts back sooner than the last Sunday in October?

Thanks again.

Yep, end of the same text says: "until the first Sunday in November." :D

I know it's hard on the school kids who catch the morning bus in the dark, but I like that extra light in the evening as well!

Theron

You will always go by ships time. Do NOT change you watch. If you are booking on your own make sure the tour operator is clear when you need to be back by ships time not his local time.

My cell phone changes to the different time zones automatically. I was surprised the first time I noticed this as it is a fairly old phone.

Archived