Do you lock bags on checked bags

texasnana

Absolutely, positively lock your bags. We lock ours before we leave home and prior to putting them out in the hallway.

If you have suitcases that have zippers, I recommend getting the TSA approved locks. If you have hard cases, then try the TSA approved straps. Either can be found on www.Magellans.com or www.travelsmith.com and are sold in pairs. You can also find them at luggage stores and I believe that someone also posted that you can find them at WalMart.

Just like TSA does not trust us..........we do not trust anyone once our bags have left us.

It's not just what someone could take out of them, it's also what someone could put in them. Occurred to me that people could smuggle stuff that way.... If you use TSA approved locks, and your bags are inspected, they can be unlocked/relocked with no problem. If you use locks that are not approved and your bags are inspected, they will cut off the locks and not replace.

We use plastic zip strips. I know anyone can cut them off, but I still feel safer than having nothing on the luggage, and don't want to put regular locks on every available zipper. There was another post recently that showed how these locks can get caught in the conveyer belts, doing damage to your luggage. We put a nail clipper inside an outside pocket and cut off the zip strips when we arrive at our destination. On the rare occasion the TSA has opened our bags, they left a note inside and placed zip locks back on the luggage (usually in a different color). You are asking for trouble if you pack valuables (cameras, jewelry, etc) in your luggage. We keep anything of value with us at all times. I think that is the key.

We use colored plastic zip( straps ) ties also so that you can see immediately when claiming bags after your flight whether it has been removed. I have also read here that TSA will replace tie if they remove yours. We don't pack valuables in our luggage.

They will make you take them off at the airport - you can only use TSA locks on your luggage if you are flying.

They've never made me remove my locks at the airport or anywhere else. And they're not TSA approved locks.

They've never made me remove my locks at the airport or anywhere else. And they're not TSA approved locks.

i am not meaning at the airport i mean when you check your bags at the curb at the port for the cruise.

.....i never lock them flying .. let alone i hardly check my bags any more i have a small rolling suit case that fits under the seat or over head that i can fit a weeks worth of clothing in.

i am not meaning at the airport i mean when you check your bags at the curb at the port for the cruise.

.....i never lock them flying .. let alone i hardly check my bags any more i have a small rolling suit case that fits under the seat or over head that i can fit a weeks worth of clothing in.

We rarely check a bag at the cruise terminal but when we occasionally do it's always locked.

A thousand times yes. Although I realize locks can be cut or broken, it's a small deterrent and perhaps a thief will go to the next bag.

I don't pack valuables like jewelry, electronics, cameras, etc... But, our clothing and shoes are not cheap and I'm not about to try to haul it all along with me. I'd hate to lose anything that could have been prevented.

We also use those zip strips...also called cable ties. I buy the package of brightly colored ones and put 2 cable ties on each suitcase zipper. Yes they can be cut off, but I agree with the others, its more of a hassle and easier for someone who is determined to get into someone's luggage to just go into someone else's without anything on them. I can also tell if someone has opened my bag.

Archived