GBR : Coral Princess vs. Captain Cook Cruises

awingatect

We are considering a cruise on one of the above lines in early July '07. The options are Capt. Cook 4 nights northbound (cairns - two islands - cooktown -lizard island - ribbon reef # 5 - cairns) on MV Endeavor, vs. Coral Princess 3 nights northbound (Townsville - Palm Group of Islands - Hinchbrook Channel -Dunk Island - Family Group of Islands - Nathan Reef - Thetford Reef - Cairns ) on Coral Princess I or II.

I am a diver, my wife will just hang and perhaps snorkel a little. Any comments regarding (or contrasting) the two lines in terms of food, accommodations, ambiance, itinerary, etc would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

My husband and I cruised with Captain Cook Cruises a couple of years ago and did the same itinerary as you are considering. While the accommodation is very basic (beds are comfortable enough), the whole experience was fabulous. The food is excellent,evenings are fun and the crew most helpful. As a diver you are sure to have a wonderful time and there is also use of a glass bottom boat for those who do not wish snorkel or dive.

Never been on Coral Princess so can't comment but would thoroughly recommend Captain Cook Cruises. Enjoy!

We haven't been on Coral, but we were on Captain Cook as well, and enjoyed it immensely. We are Americans, and one of the things we enjoyed is that there were only 5 Americans on board--most of the passengers were Aussies and Kiwis, and they are fabulous, fun and friendly people! We do not dive, but the snorkling and glass bottom boat trips were great.

• 6 months later...

I too am considering these two lines for 2008. Anyone have info on:

How does the food compare to the big cruise lines: Princess, HAL, RCCL, etc. It appears that Coral Princess is always buffet, and Cook is a-la-carte for dinner. True?

Does the ship sail at night and also day?

How many snorkel oppportunities are there each day?

Are the fish and coral very different in each of the locations the ships stop?

Are there mostly divers on board, or a good mix?

Thanks

We did the 7 day cruise on Captain Cook from Cairns to Thursday Island last October. We enjoyed the cruise. The ship is small and I think only holds 150 passengers. We had sailed on Infinity before and it is certainly quite different. The food was excellent with both breakfast and lunch being buffets. Pre dinner nibbles were very simple but tasty. Dinner was a small choice a la carte but food was varied and well presented. Lots of Australian wines to choose from - also cocktails etc. The cabins - very basic but bed was comfortable and the entertainment was simple but fun. Lots of Australians on our trip. There was only 1 diver but lots of snorkellers. They had a dive master and a marine biologists on board who were very knowledgeable. Also had an aboriginal elder on board who we found very interesting.

Archived