? for those that cruise Europe

My husband & I are wanting to do a Mediterrean cruise next week. We've narrowed it down to mid May or mid June. I've noticed that the best prices are usually 90 days out from sail date.

My ? is will the airfare if booked only 90 days out be more expensive than if I try to book it right away? We figure we won't know what cruise we'll be on or port we'll sail out of so that's why we can't book airfare right away

What is your experience/recommendation?

Thanks in advance

I've yet to find the "air" secret...you're only hope is to have a travel agent who will check cruise prices for your frequently...these may change up until cruising day...they may put a Senior Special on ( 1 person in the cabin must be over 55)...or lower balcony pricing....good luck !!Depends on what they need to get rid off !!

Sharon

if you don't book through the airline and go last minute.

I knoe HAL told me they have great deals last minute (at least to Carrebean - not sure about Med), but the problem is that they do not have any air availability.

I am trying to change a flight for July (a diff situation since using frequent flyer miles), HOWEVER, shocked to find out that 7 months out (call was in December) over half the seats were already booked and less than 100 left on my desired flight. So, finding a specific flight could be difficult if going from the US to Europe last minute.

As mentioned previously, the best prices seem to come out 6 months ahead of the trip. If you book airfare within a month of travel, especially during the summer months, that price as compared to 6 months out could easily be 50%-100% greater.

Last year we had booked with Royal Caribbean for a July trip. Even after we had paid in full, I kept checking their rates and when I saw them drop (about $200) I called and they refund the difference. So keep your eye out! No such luck on airfare.

I checked Air prices in May 06 for our April 07 Med cruise. We didn't book the Air then and prices rose quite a bit shortly thereafter. On a fluke I checked again in Aug. and found airfare for what I had originally seen. Booked immediately then. Since that time, airfare ranges anywhere from $200 to $400 more per ticket. Base on what happened to us, it was about 8 months and it was as I said on a whim that I checked. I have not seen it at that price since and I check at least weekly.

Here's my best advice:

1. Book as EARLY as possible. Often, those early prices ARE the best available. Besides, you aren't obligated until final payment day (depending on the cruise line 60-90 days out). If you find a better deal before that, you can always cancel and get the better deal...or have your TA call the cruise line--they'll match that better price. You also get the best selection of cabins. Often, these cruises DO sell out.

The only thing you risk is the "interest" or "carry" on your deposit. But, let's say your deposit is $900 and you typically get a 3% return on your money...Your carry is a mere $27 a year (not worth bothering compounding calculations)...and chances are, nowadays you are NOT even getting close to 3%...It's like buying an option on a cruise for less than $2.25 per month...

2. Book your air THROUGH the cruise line. This can also be cancelled at any time up to final payment...and you can keep the cruise only portion and merely sever the air portion--ask your TA. That gives you all of that time to shop the net for better deals on air. If you don't find anything better than the cruise line offers, well, you've got it...if you find something better, you merely book it and convert to cruise only...Again, you've hedged your bets and can't lose...

BTW, one of the good things about just using the cruise line's air is that, if you have to cancel (anytime up to final payment) you aren't stuck with nonrefundable tickets...and you don't have to shell out the money until final payment day...

I have had the experience where I've booked early and then had my price adjusted twice, ending up saving a couple of thousand dollars...

...and I have had the experience of booking early only to watch the price on my cruise go UP a couple of thousand dollars while I was safely booked at a low price...and have had the ship completely sold out before 90 days out...

Good luck...

air (unless you can use miles). However, note that trip insurance (at least with HAL) has to be paid at the time of initial deposit and you can't get that back. I paid early this time to get a verandah Sale, but the cecision was hard because of the potential trip insurance loss. Do you not get trip insurance? My husband wanted to skip it (it cost us $700.00 for 3 in the cheapest Verandah), but I thought it was necessary.

$700 for insurance ?!? :eek: never buy your insurance through the cruiseline. part of what you are insuring is faults against the cruiseline (breakdown, financial insolvency, etc.). you want an advocate for yourself. check insuremytrip.com instead.

i totally disagree about the cruise air. they pick the cheapest seats for them, without concern for the passenger. they also charge extra if you want to fly in early or stay after the cruise. only in rare circumstances is cruise air cheaper than what can be arranged on your own. one other point - you give up control over where you are seated. you really don't want to be stuck in the middle seat on a transatlantic flight.

air (unless you can use miles). However, note that trip insurance (at least with HAL) has to be paid at the time of initial deposit and you can't get that back. I paid early this time to get a verandah Sale, but the decision was hard because of the potential trip insurance loss. Do you not get trip insurance? My husband wanted to skip it (it cost us $700.00 for 3 in the cheapest Verandah), but I thought it was necessary.

You can probably save money by not using HAL's plan. And you'll get better plans. To keep the costs down, you can also under insure your trip's cost.

Go to www.google.com and search for "trip insurance". You'll find some good sites that offer reputable companies.

I hope this helps.

Archived