No Reply to QM2 Emails

Larisa

My parents are on the current QM2 World Cruise and my husband and I are hoping someone here can give us a bit of perspective regarding reaching them by email. We know we have the correct (Cunard) email address for them because my brother both sent and received email from my parents a couple of days after the ship left Ft. Lauderdale. We have read all the Cruise-Critic postings regarding emailing. We have confirmed that the address we're using matches the one my brother used; we have also confirmed with Cunard that the address is correct. We also have my father's brief phone message just after they set sail, reciting the email address, indicating that my brother had emailed him and that my parents had accessed the email from their cabin, and asking that we send a test-email. So we know we've sent our three emails to the right place and that my parents have in at least one case checked email in their cabin and know how to read it there (not the most computer-savy people in the world, but they did it once anyway). However, it's been four days since we sent the first email, per my father's request, and we've heard nothing back from my parents. I know from talking to Cunard that the ship hasn't reached its first port yet (not until the 18th) and that emails (unlike ship phone calls) can be received whether the ship is at sea or in port. Generally my parents are trying to avoid making phone calls, so email really is the only way to communicate with them except in the case of an emergency. My question is this: has anyone had trouble sending or receiving email onboard the QM2 that might explain why we haven't heard from my parents in these circumstances? I see that a few people mentioned problems sending and receiving email on board; any possible explanation for my parents' silence would be much appreciated. For example, might a passenger fail to notice an indicator light, or similar signal, informing them of a newly arrived email?

Our primary concern is that we may be stuck with no ability to communicate with my parents throughout their 80-day voyage. We also have a second, more specific question: has anyone succeeded in emailing the ship at qm2@cunard.com? That is one suggestion that was offered in another context, and I'm thinking that, if nothing else works, I'll send an email to that generic address and ask that a message be slipped under my parents' door. Any thoughts/suggestions regarding how this might work would be much appreciated!

Sincerely, Larisa and Peter (future cruisers)

Larisa...so sorry you are having problems with the email. If your folks aren't really computer savvy, it can be tricky. I had trouble in the beginning too and had to ask my cabin steward to teach me.

Perhaps Karie (travel to go) has a way of reaching Randy and Mary , fellow CCers who are on the ship too. If you want to post their cabin number for us, I'll email it to Karie and see if she can get them a message through Mary. can't promise but Karie has been helping them post their blog of the trip, so maybe.

Frustrating business I know....

Cheers, Penny

Penny, that is so kind of you! I understand that it may not work, but it definitely sounds like something that's worth a shot. If it's ok with you, I will wait a couple of days and then perhaps take you up on your offer. Cunard Corporate is now trying to help me email the ship (the email provided originally by Cunard, qm2@cunard..com, did not work, but Cunard apparently has a more direct email connection to the ship). Thanks also for the kind remarks, Penny. I hope Mary and Randy are having fun. Actually, if you can share their blog address I would love to view it--nice way to get a sense of what Mom and Dad are experiencing while we're waiting to hear back from them. Take care, and thanks again! Larisa

My parents are on the current QM2 World Cruise and my husband and I are hoping someone here can give us a bit of perspective regarding reaching them by email.

We also have a second, more specific question: has anyone succeeded in emailing the ship at qm2@cunard.com? That is one suggestion that was offered in another context, and I'm thinking that, if nothing else works, I'll send an email to that generic address and ask that a message be slipped under my parents' door. Any thoughts/suggestions regarding how this might work would be much appreciated!

Sincerely, Larisa and Peter (future cruisers)

I can't comment on the Mary, but on Queen Elizabeth 2 (which doesn't have in cabin email) sending a message to qe2@cunard.com with the name and cabin number in the subject line has always worked perfectly.

I see no reason why it should be different with the Mary - it's worth a try.

Perhaps they are having too much fun to reply?

Matthew

Larisa,

Whether by phone or email, the ship at sea is dependent on satellite service. I have been on a ship when something happened to blow the antenna off kilter. It could happen that there is a problem. We also experienced someone before the Dec 2 cruise with weird keyboard problems from their cabin, so of course, anything could happen.

Your parents may be caught up in doing things, and if they are not computer savvy, may have spent a lot of time trying to figure something out and given up, to come back to it later. Even if you know computers on land, there are differences at sea. Additionally, there are differences in how emailing is done, depending on whether you are using a laptop, the computers in the library or the interactive TV in your room.

Randy and Mary's Blog is right here on the list. Just look for the thread. Their list names are therapst and therapsts lady (I probably got that wrong. I always leave out the wrong letters)! A little about your folks would be nice. What deck are they on? names? Maybe someone who is currently on the world or will be getting on at one of the ports can seek them out and will be kind enough to help them master the email system there!

I am sure they are having a marvelous time!

If you wish to email me b/c with their name and cabin number, I will see what I can do or find out. I snuck online at work, but will be home in an hour or so.my email is parrothead-av8r AT mindspring DOT com.

Karie,

Sneaking a quick peek at the new posts at work

It is also possible that they think they are replying to your message but not actually clicking the proper button and then exiting the system.

Just another thought because I found the the interactive tv to be an awesome tool for email, checking my folio, daily activties, menus, etc...

It is also possible that they think they are replying to your message but not actually clicking the proper button and then exiting the system.

Just another thought because I found the the interactive tv to be an awesome tool for email, checking my folio, daily activties, menus, etc...

We tried to post an update about my parents last week, but there was something wrong with the board. Sorry!

We wanted to tell you that it was, in fact, a technical problem with Cunard's email system, as we had feared. The purser emailed us to inform us of this fact. The malfunction seems to be fixed now, although Cunard says there is still a fitful problem reaching the generic email address "QM2" etc, which Cunard is trying to address.

Thanks to all who responded to the questions we asked in this post. We knew there had to be an explanation for my parents' silence and are we glad they are ok. Thanks especially to Penny and Karie for offering to help connect us to Randy and Mary, in the event the communication problems had persisted. We are now enjoying reading Randy and Mary's blog--it's a great supplement to my parents' news of their experiences aboard the QM2.

Happy cruising and happy surfing to a lovely group of people--

Cheers, Larisa and Peter

Hi Larisa....Glad to hear your email problems are resolved and your folks doing fine. I figured it had to be something like that but I know how frustrating it can be.

If you haven't read my "QM2 review..My affair to Remember," you might enjoy getting a sense of what your foks are hopefully finding for themselves. I'ts here on the main board on this first page somewhere.

We're always willing to help on this board, so don't worry about asking.

Cheers, Penny

Larisa,

So glad you were able to reach your folks.

When there is a lack of communications, it can be so scary. We tend to imagine the worst. So glad you heard from them.

I hope they manage to meet Mary and Randy who are on for the entire world. If they check the various meet and mingles at each embarkation port, they will probably get that opportuity. They are marvelous warm, kind people.

Even though I have plenty of experience in technical, including some IT background, sometimes these things are difficult to overcome. In fact, I have been on a conference bridge with a bunch of other techies for several hours now. We are going to shut down tonight and have another go at it tomorrow as it is 22 degrees here and one of our techs is outside.

So I am glad they are now in touch.

Karie,

who is tired and still has a two hour drive home, and I am still working!

Archived