Marking Your Luggage

I understand that there are luggage tags that will be mailed to us - my question is this: when using an airport we always mark our luggage with some bright ribbon for easy identification - is this necessary for cruising? We will be driving to New Orleans, so I didn't know if this was something that would be helpful at departure or not. How does that work?

Thanks!

Yes! If you think finding a piece of black luggage is hard in an airport, wait until you see 2,000 pieces of luggage on a pier.

The bigger and brighter, the better to mark with. I wish someone would come up with an alarm that can be put on luggage that would beep when you pushed a remote so you can find your luggage like you do a car!

Can you image the chaos if everyone had a remote and all were going off at the same time? It's a great idea if only you and I are allowed to have one!

I have a number of bath net scrubbies (I can't think what they're actually called a the moment) with the rope handles. They are very strong and easily attached. Mine are bright pink to contrast startlingly with my red luggage - very easy to spot!:D

We put multicolored security bands around the outside which provides more support for the contents, make it more difficult for others to get in quickly and helps us identify our bags among many other similar looking bags at the airport and cruise terminals.

Yes, even more so. On average there will be 8000 pieces of luggage.

Shortly after arriving/borading they will ask you to fill out a form that will be placed on your bed. This form will ask you when your flight is. The earlier the flight the sooner they will try to get you off. They will ask the flight number and time and if it is international or not. Armed with this information they will decide on your colour tag.

What they do on the thrid to last night is they will give you colour coded tags. These go according to when they will let you off. The night before after supper you put your bags out in the hall (don't forget to lock them (or zip tie them) with the colour tags attached. This way you will only have your carry out bag. (Carry-on bag sort of thing with your valuables/meds).

The morning of departure/disembarkcation they call out colours starting with in RCCL case white. Then they call various colours such as purple, red, brown ect until all have been called. This is to help0 get you through immigration. Have your id and cards ready. Once through you pick up your bags just like in an airport in the baggage area and go outside and head home.

The colours are based on when your flight is, then on your location on the ship starting at the top suites. they also consider those going on departure tours. In RCCL case these are purple tags.

Some cruiselines have self disembarkcation. This is where you do not put your luggage out in the hall the night before. You carry everything off yourself. These are the first people off the ship. After the ship has cleared customs they will make an announcement that those wishing to self debark may do so. Usually shortly before/after 7am. This is good for those who are driving, live near the port are want to go.

Now some tips and tricks. If you want to get off early ask at Front Desk or on here what is the early tag colours. Then the night you see you have tags take them to the Front Desk area and switch them for earlier tags (ther will be an area with a bunch of tags for you to do this). You will get off earlier then others. This is good advice if you are on a lower deck as you will be one of the last ones off. If you are in no rush you can stay on until the last colur is called.

I go to the Dollar store and get bright flourescent duct tape. They usually have green yellow and blue to choose from. I put the tape on each bag (ours are the dreaded black) in the form of an X on each side. Then I wrap the tape around the luggage so it looks like a star. The bags are so easily noticable at end of cruise. Never had an issue.

We use luggage straps/bands or large/brightly colored tags. I won some luggage straps on a Princess cruise a couple of years ago, and they've come in handy. They're bright blue and wrap all the way aroudn your suitcase. Even on our next Princess cruise, hardly anyone had them, so it made finding our black luggage much easier!

A lot of poeple have mentioned bright colored tape and ribbons, and it does help. We use alternating bright colors (Neon Yellow and Orange) that even stands out among the standing out other bright colors.

i just have a quick question....

We got our docs by email and will not receive luggage tags by mail what do I put on my luggage to get my bags to my room??

thank you for any help:D

You can get blank tags at the pier, just be sure to fill in your cabin number when you attach them to your bags.

All right, since somebody brought up the whole topic of disembarkation, what time do we need to be off the ship? We don't have a flight until 1:30PM, so I don't think we will be in a big hurry. I would like to wait until the crowd leaves, and do the self-disembarkation (is that a word?).

My wife is a decorative artist, you know the kind that paints images and scenes on everyday items.

Well she painted roses on one of our suitcases and ladybugs on another. We have no problem spotting them on the airport carousels and have received many complements.

attachment.php?attachmentid=34987&stc=1&d=1169070218

We use the VERY colourful puffs you use when you shower. They have a string on them and we attach them to the handles. They come in very vibrant colours at the Dollar Store for a package of four. You can certainly spot our suitcases LOL

Teri

Archived