New To Regent, Need Your Help Please

SaraMay

My husband and I are frequent cruisers and have decided to give Regent a try this June and have booked Alaska on The Mariner. We have been to Alaska in the past with Celebrity. We are hoping for a more upscale, luxury experience onboard this cruise line even though Alaska is a more casual destination. Does the ship meet the definition of a "luxury cruise line"? Can anyone help by offering opinions, advice? We're booked in The Mariner Suite, Deck 10. THANK YOU:)

We think Regent is definitely a luxury cruise line, and I am sure you will enjoy your experience. (We're planning a 26-day cruise in Asia on the Mariner this fall.) If you'd like a description of what we did on our 2004 Mariner cruise in Alaska, drop me a line at dreps@comcast.net.

Saramay, we were booked in a Grand Suite, Auckland to LA, 2006. Our butler took us to see an empty Mariner Suite on deck 10. We LOVED it and will surely book that catagory next time. Later, I looked at another suite which didn't come close to the Mariner Suite. You choose properly and won't be sorry.

My husband and I are frequent cruisers and have decided to give Regent a try this June and have booked Alaska on The Mariner. We have been to Alaska in the past with Celebrity. We are hoping for a more upscale, luxury experience onboard this cruise line even though Alaska is a more casual destination. Does the ship meet the definition of a "luxury cruise line"? Can anyone help by offering opinions, advice? We're booked in The Mariner Suite, Deck 10. THANK YOU:)

I feel sure you will notice a significant difference on Mariner over Celebrity. There are several opinions on the Mariner Alaskan cruise at http://http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=464841 which will probably interest you.

• 2 weeks later...

Having cruised many times on both Celebrity and Regent I can assure you that you will see differences; most good. If you cruised on the Mercury, rather than a Millennium-class ship, you will see even more positive differences. That said, don't expect to be swept away in lavish luxury, but rather expect to enjoy a more upscale and inclusive experience which is more intimate.

One thing for certain: if the naturalist is Terry Breen (sp?), you are in for a treat.

Also, you will have the ability to take the Tracy Arm extension, which is well worth it, and you will be cruising to some areas where Celebrity just can't go.

Enjoy.

One thing for certain: if the naturalist is Terry Breen (sp?), you are in for a treat.

Also, you will have the ability to take the Tracy Arm extension, which is well worth it, and you will be cruising to some areas where Celebrity just can't go.

Enjoy.

I endorse that wholeheartedly. Terry Breen is superb. She is a most informative and entertaining speaker. And the Tracey Arm excursion is the tops.

The Mariner is absolutely wonderful. I have cruised with Regent, 5 times.Food is great, service and smaller size very good. Complimentary liquor and gratuities in initial cost are such a big plus.

I'm going on the Navigator again in 2 weeks. The Caribbean is almost a cliche to me by now, but I love the ship and the food. I'm a food writer and restaurant critic and very picky!

Yes, I think you'll find this a true luxury cruise.

Lentil

Archived