Cruise veteran...Alaska virgin

tjatczak

I have been reading with interest (and excitement) all I can about shoretours and etc. for our upcoming Alaska cruise.

Although this will be cruise # 20, it is our first to Alaska. I need a bit of help with "best suggestions" for the ports.

We are cruising out of Seattle on June 3. (NCL Pearl)

Family of 4, late 40's, kids 21 and 15

1)Juneau - looking at whale watching with Captain Larry or Harv&Marv, is this the right place for whale watching? Are these the right tours to look at?

2)Skagway - ?????

3)Ketchikan - ??????

Should add this note - I am a BIG guy, so I don't think any of the helicopter or plane tours are an option...

What are the 'best bets' and 'be sure not to miss' ideas from all of my cruise critic friends????

Thanks for your help,

Ted

I'm on the same cruise as you! See my post in the roll call for our cruise to see what we are doing.

We are more on the independant side and book very few excursions, opting instead, to do things on our own.

In Ketchikan, we plan on hitting the visitors center and grabbing maps for doing the historic walking tour, walking up Creek St, taking the funicular tram ($3) to the Cape Fox Lodge, viewing the totem poles there, back down the mountain (again on the historic walking tour), and check out the boat docks. We are also taking either a cab or public transportation ($?) to Totem Bight State Park (free). If we have time, either the Lumberjack Show (whose tickets can be purchased on-site, $35) or the Tongass Historic Museum ($2)

In Juneau, we are taking a blue bus ($12 RT) to Mendenhall Glacier ($3) and check out the visitors center and surrounding area. Depending on the weather, we may check out Mt Roberts and take the tram ($25). We want to check out the shopping district and check out the Red Dog Saloon for a root beer. Perhaps check out the Alaska State Museum ($5) and the Alaskan Hotel Bar for a drink.

In Skagway, however, we are taking the Gold Rush Train, which I understand, is a must see. (approx $100), do a little shopping, another historic walking tour around town (get the maps at the visitors center or the museum), stopping at the Red Onion Saloon, the Golden North Hotel for a brewskie and a stop at the Skagway Museum.

My husband and I like to absorb the local culture and history of the places we visit.

Hope this helps!

Archived