disabled message boards?

canuk05

don't know what you have in mind to ask, but our experience tells us that this is as good as it gets as far as access on shiips, in ports, wheelchairs/scooters, insulin, MS - name it and you will find some one or ones here who will have the answer or direct you to where you can find it if it relates to cruising.:)

don't know what you have in mind to ask, but our experience tells us that this is as good as it gets as far as access on shiips, in ports, wheelchairs/scooters, insulin, MS - name it and you will find some one or ones here who will have the answer or direct you to where you can find it if it relates to cruising.:)

Well I can think of a few.

New Mobility (http://www.newmobility.com) is pretty much a rough a tumble environment, but it deals honestly and openly with all dis issues. Be prepared to be questioned when you first post there as the regulars (pretty much a community) want to make sure you aren't a devo.

Care Cure http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3 is pretty much a (how do I say this) rah-rah community, they are looking for the cure and very enthusiastic about it all. It's pretty white bread and heavily moderated. That said, if you have a medical issue, there are SCI nurses that can offer advice and resources.

Then there is Power Quad (http://www.powerquad.net) which is kind of a good place. Lots of SCI folks there, and not as rough and tumble as NM, but again expect some scrutiny to make sure you aren't a devo.

My favorite? Right now, Power Quad. Good people, honest advice and no BS. I post on all of them but then I really limit my posts to care cure as it's just too sanitized (very heavily heavily moderated) for me.

Candy

yeah, adam has a good site, but it's not very active and it certainly doesn't discuss disability issues (outside of travel) which is what the poster was looking for. The poster is looking for dis issues not dis travel issues, which are very different.

Candy

Care Cure http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3 is pretty much a (how do I say this) rah-rah community, they are looking for the cure and very enthusiastic about it all. It's pretty white bread and heavily moderated. That said, if you have a medical issue, there are SCI nurses that can offer advice and resources.

I really limit my posts to care cure as it's just too sanitized (very heavily heavily moderated) for me.

Well, isn't that nice??? We don't go around slamming your website, do we?? I certainly won't be referring anyone there after this. I don't think it is "rah-rah" to be pushing for more research for a SCI cure. Not everyone is happy to be disabled by a spinal cord injury. Are you? Yes, CareCure is moderated, which is why it is so much better a site than the others that you mention...with over 15,000 registered members from all over the world. There is a travel discussion board there that would welcome any members here as well.

:confused: Hi, everyone, I just found this really cool site about cruising and especially travelling with a disability. I appreciate all the advice I have gleaned just tonight! All the reports on Ports and guides and how to get from place to place is great! My husband, myself and our 29 year old multi-disabled son are going on Carnival Freedom this May to the Mediterranean. We have cruised with Disney and Royal Carribean and have had wonderful experience with both because the companies give so much helpful advice on their websites (such as room sizes, choices, docking, etc). I was worried about Carnival because they seem so difficult to get info from. I am not even sure what type of accomodations we will have in stateroom 7228. I was told it was an accessible family suite. I just hope it's as nice as Disney or RCCL!

Anyway, I'll be reading all the great posts and learning so much!

It's been great! Connie, Orlando

Well, isn't that nice??? We don't go around slamming your website, do we?? I certainly won't be referring anyone there after this. I don't think it is "rah-rah" to be pushing for more research for a SCI cure. Not everyone is happy to be disabled by a spinal cord injury. Are you? Yes, CareCure is moderated, which is why it is so much better a site than the others that you mention...with over 15,000 registered members from all over the world. There is a travel discussion board there that would welcome any members here as well.

i don't belived I slammed it. I just pretty much gave a description of it. And, I've never known you to refer folks to my site before -- but it doesn't matter. And FWIW it's a magazine, not just a website. Do you subscribe? We are a magazine that is subscriber supported -- no advertising.

CC is too moderated for me -- sorry.

Way toooooooooo moderated.

Lot's of folks realize that there isn't going to be a cure in their lifetime so they just are happy doing what they can. And living life. That's all. That's what I meant by the "rah-rah" and i said that in quotation marks -- folks that want something to happen in their lifetime. A lot of folks here know that won't happen. And they just want to have a good cruise. And that is what i do -- or rather provide info for them to do that. In our magazine. Our website is just a portal.

Candy

Lot's of folks realize that there isn't going to be a cure in their lifetime so they just are happy doing what they can.

How sad for you that you have given up hope. Many others have not, and great strides are being made in research daily that will eventually lead to a cure. If you don't support that, it is your loss, but CareCure is MUCH MORE than just a website about SCI cure.

They asked for disability discussion forum sites, not for your personal use, beliefs or editorializing.

You also assumed that this person has a SCI, which I did not. There are many discussion boards on the internet that are specific to specific disabilities. CareCure is primarily of interest to those wtih spinal cord injury or diseases (MS, ALS, etc.). That is also true of Powerquad. New Mobility has a wider variety of disabilities. There are also other forums that offer specific discussion boards for a wide variety of disability groups such as NeuroTalk and BrainTalk. Neither of these has much participation at all from people with SCI, but are good places to find people with MS, for example.

If we know what the specific disabling condition is, we can also make further recommendations for other sites.

Hi not sure if I am the right place for advice

but here goes

My husband has major surgery last year dec o5 and had a rod and titanium cage put in his back .since then he has had a knee replacement NOV 06. and cannot get off crutches. He has limited mobility say coul walk for shot distances on crutches. I have emailed rcl several time but have had no response.

Can he get a wheelchair on board?

how easy is it to get on tenders ? we are on legend 10/2 west carribean

what is the ship like for ease os use ? Any advice on good trips to take ?

thank you

I am at my wits end worrying about this he had thought the knee surgery would have helped hi mobility but ist seems nerve damage is not recovering

thanks again

Marie

Archived