Arriving at Hobby Fri, leaving LaPorte Sat... what to do?

RFA

We're flying in to Hobby late on 2/16, then leaving on the Dream 2/17 AM. There's two of us, we need a hotel and I'd rather not rent a car. Are there any places that will shuttle from the airport and then to the pier? We're flying back right after debarkation on 2/20. Any ideas? Thanks!

I've tried the search forum route and haven't found anything.

We're flying into the other airport (IAH) on Friday, and there's a Sheraton about a mile away with shuttle service. Go to one of the travel websites and look for hotels around Hobby. You can usually get a map and see which ones are close, then look for one that offers a shuttle. :)

NCL doesn't have a shuttle to the port at Hobby like they do for Bush International. Therefore you have limited options at Hobby.

You could take a cab to either the Comfort Suites or La Quinta Inns in La Porte. They will provide a hotel shuttle to the port at Barbours Cut. Comfort Suites is very nice.

You can take a cab to any motel or hotel in the Houston area, and take a cab to the port.

Call Enterprise, rent a car for a couple of days and stay at any hotel or motel in the Houston area. Enterprise has a small lot where you can park the rental for a small fee at the port, and they will pick it up on Monday.

Most choose either option 1 or 3. I prefer the Enterprise option, this allows for more freedom.

Thanks for the quick replies!

We're landing at 11pm Friday so I doubt that we'll be doing much that evening, and hopefully heading right for the pier in the AM.

Would renting the car be worth the $$? the hotel in La Porte sounds like the best idea. Any thoughts on how much a taxi would be to the hotel, then from the pier to Hobby on Saturday? Are they available? I've always flown in day of and used cruise line transfers.

We're leaving afterward at 12:50 so we don't have a whole lot of time to play with.

Thanks!!

Thanks for the quick replies!

We're landing at 11pm Friday so I doubt that we'll be doing much that evening, and hopefully heading right for the pier in the AM.

Would renting the car be worth the $$? the hotel in La Porte sounds like the best idea. Any thoughts on how much a taxi would be to the hotel, then from the pier to Hobby on Saturday? Are they available? I've always flown in day of and used cruise line transfers.

We're leaving afterward at 12:50 so we don't have a whole lot of time to play with.

Thanks!!

We're flying in the night before our cruise also and staying at the Comfort Inn in Laporte. I've booked a rental car thru Enterprise at the airport and have the option to drop it off right at the NCL pier. It's less than $45, but we're coming from IAH - so not sure if the cost warrants a look from Hobby. I've also set up the return and they'll have a car waiting for us there.

If you are renting a car, one of the more interesting places to go is the Kemah Boardwalk. Get on the highway that runs in front of the hotel (LaQuinta/Comfort Suites) and go south and when you cross the big bridge (6-9 miles) the boardwalk is to your left. Lots of restaurants and rides for children - not to mention the water!

You say that it may not be worth it to rent a car going down... taxi is listed as about $60/tip, etc. Car rental is half that, plus you would have it to get to the pier Sat am at your leisure. (Also, if you are hungry after landing, you could stop where YOU want, on the way to La Porte... I'm always hungry, so that is a big consideration!!;)) Lastly, there are other hotels that you could stay at without depending on the Comfort Inn or LA Quinta.

Jus tmy humble opinion...

KayM (On Dream after you...)

I thought you were on OUR sailing the 3rd????

If you want to stay near Hobby airport. I got a real good rate using priceline.

I posted in the sticky, but here is the info again.

Date: March 23 2007

Number of nights: 2 (pre cruise)

Hotel: Holiday Inn

Rating: 3 star

Area: Houston Hobby

Site: Priceline

Winning Bid: $50 (per night)

Taxes & Service Fees: $26.98 (total)

136.98 for 2 nights total.

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

We fly into Houston the night before our cruise. We will stay at the Hilton on Lamar and then the shuttle will take us to the port. I am thinking of renting a car from the airport but I would like a oneway and leave it at the Hotel. I am wondering if they do that as well as leaving it at the port? It would be nice to have the use of a car while we are there. Happy Sailing, Joy

Several times on these boards I have heard cruisers say that NCL has directed them to the "Hilton on Lamar" and offering a shuttle to the Port of Houston. Does anyone have any idea why NCL would be putting people in the middle of downtown Houston (across from the George R. Brown Convention Center, I assume) when the ship leaves from LaPorte? Just seems like a strange choice. Does NCL, perhaps, own a lot of Hilton stock???:D

There is a movement back into the downtown area and, with the advent of the light rail along Main Street, new restaurants and clubs have been opening weekly. Many of the older buildings are being transformed into condos and the number of full-time residents has grown at a fast pace over the last five years.The area is quite safe and there are typically crowds of people walking around the area on work days and week-end nights. There is also a theatre district which draws a lot of people to the various performances.

Have you ever eaten barbeque at Thelma`s I have read good and bad about it? I think it may have a cross street of Lamar. My hotel the Hilton is on Lamar so I thought it might not be too far away...

I had never heard of Thelma's - and my family is a large bunch of foodies - so I looked it up and read the reviews. Must admit that the reviews sound great but I really don't recommend that part of town for a tourist. It is getting better but is still not somewhere I would go unless I was with a large group during the day.

I would recommend Goode Company Barbeque (5109 Kirby 713-522-2530). It's a local restaurant - not a chain - and is classic Texas. The decor is something to see also. If you have a car, it's not a bad drive west on Hwy 59 (Southwest Freeway) and south on Kirby. There is also Goode Company Hamburgers & Taqueria at 4902 Kirby with great hamburgers and Mexican food.

Archived