Best Itinerary

madisonswims

My 40th birthday is this year. My hubby wants to take us on a cruise. We aren't sure whether a Southern Caribbean or Eastern Caribbean cruise would be better for snorkeling. Can you please make recommendations? Also, which islands do you prefer?

We have done Grand Caymen and Cozumel - so we are trying something new.

Thanks much for all your thoughts!

Thanks for the information. I found a southern itinerary that includes: Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbasdos. Is this a good snorkeling/diving itinerary?

We had the opportunity last month to go to Cozumel and Grand Caymen. I am worried we may have gotten spoiled...

I'm looking at the south itinerary with Carnival Destiny myself. It starts at San Juan, and includes USVI, St. Lucia, Dominica, Barbados, Antigua (not in that order).

Last year we went on Carnival Miracle. It started from Tampa (we drove north from there to Crystal River with manatees and Rainbow River drift dive) and goes to Cayman, Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. I dove at all ports while wife and family snorkeled. The drift diving in Coz was excellent.

Last year we went on Carnival Miracle. It started from Tampa (we drove north from there to Crystal River with manatees and Rainbow River drift dive) and goes to Cayman, Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. I dove at all ports while wife and family snorkeled. The drift diving in Coz was excellent.

Where did your family snorkel in Cozumel? We are really up in the air on what to do there and wanted to snorkel but heard that it isn't that good from the beach. There is a 3 reef excursion with Carnival but I can't find anyone who's done it.

I went on a Southern Caribbean Cruise. We went from Puerto Rico to St thomas, St Kitts, Grenada, Venezuela, and Aruba. (on the Golden Princess) I went diving in St Thomas and in Grenada. It was just awesome. We dove with a husband in wife both in St Thomas and Grenada...The also went diving in Aruba and Said it was Excellent. Aruba is my favorite port by far even though I didnt dive there.

Where did your family snorkel in Cozumel? We are really up in the air on what to do there and wanted to snorkel but heard that it isn't that good from the beach. There is a 3 reef excursion with Carnival but I can't find anyone who's done it.

We had 7 people and hired a private charter. I dove and my family and friends snorkeled. We first went to Columbia Deep where I and the DM was left off to drift dive. The boat then took the others to Columbia Shallow for snorkeling (it is supposed to be very good for diving too). We then took a SI in Palancar Beach. After that we went to Palancar Gardens for both diving and snorkeling. There was a second DM for the snorkelers. My family and friends really enjoyed.

Snorkeling from the beaches may not be that good, as Wilma damaged some of the reefs near shore. But it will be amazing dive/snorkel a little bit out of the beach (i.e. need a boat).

If you can get a few people together, hiring a private boat will be a great way to go.

Is this an RCCL cruise? DH and I have a cruise planned in 2008 and I think it might be the same... You haven't been spoiled yet ;)

Yes, I am looking to book through Royal Caribbean. But, I am open to the itineraries. We love to scuba and snorkel and want to do the best itinerary.

Have a great time on your trip!!!

I'm looking at the south itinerary with Carnival Destiny myself. It starts at San Juan, and includes USVI, St. Lucia, Dominica, Barbados, Antigua (not in that order).

Those were the ports we went to on our last trip! I couldn't agree more with your comment regarding Cozumel. We LOVED it!!! We also enjoyed the nurse shark and rays we saw in Grand Caymen!!!

We went out with Eagle Ray Divers. I highly recommend them. We dove the Palancar reef which was incredible, three stops in all. A man with Eagle Ray Divers, whose nickname is Fish, was a great man!!! Enjoy!!!

We were recently on the Tahitian Princess & if you like snorkelling, then this cruise is fantastic. In most cases we just snorkelled off of a beach or our overwater bungelow & it was unbelievable.

Crystal clear water, lots (and I mean lots) of fish & coral. Stingrays are almost like seaguls (not dangerous in the least) and the people very friendy & honest. Some of the locals have private excursions & they are truley great. It's worth looking into. Much more $ than the carribean though, but IMO worth it!

For us, it was a trip of a life time.

Dan

skneu1,

I love most of the itinerary you mentioned so much, I'm leaving in 60 days to do it again. :D The SCUBA and snorkeling at most of the stops is great. Barbados gives the choice of wrecks, like the Stavronikita, as well as reefs or combinations of both. The diving below the Pitons in St. Lucia is simply awesome, and thats snorkeling and SCUBA. St. Maarten offers some gorgeous reefs, and Antigua, offering mostly shallow reefs, is simply great. St. Thomas and St. John offer fantastic snorkeling, and really for snorkeling, the short trip to St. John from St. Thomas is really worth it. I don't dive San Juan, the fort and Old Town and worth stopping there just to see them.

By the way DANofNORTH, I agree, French Polynesia offers probably some of the top 5 diving sites in the world, and I've dived pretty much all over. I'm still editing a couple of hours of absolutely fantastic underwater video ofthe sharks, turtles, mantas, eagle rays, tropicals and don't know what to cut out. Incredible diving, somewhat like the Caribbean used to be 30 or 40 years ago. I will absolutely dive there again soon.;)

When we were in Cozumel we went out with the Eagle Ray Divers and went to Palancar reef! OUTSTANDING!!!

Archived