Role Call - Concordia Apr 5th

UMASSJAG

I have yet to see a role call for this sailing in the Med. Despite all the posts I am looking forward to the trip. Looking for anyone else out there who will also be aboard. I have signed up for the Egypt excurision so far and will be sailing with spouse and two children (7 and <1).

Hi - we will miss you by one cruise. Our Egypt cruise leaves March 24th and returns on the 5th on Concordia. We are both really looking forwrd to it. We are also staying two days in Rome for a post-stay at the Michaelangelo - anyone that has stayed there before and has info re: how it is - it would be greatly appreciated.

=-CCM

Hi UMASSJAG & CCM

We are joining the ship on 4th April at Rome. So there's potential to meet up with you both I think. Not sure what the easiest way is to meet however! It would be nice to see other CC member on board, so if you like the idea then let me know before we sail!

All the best

Graeme

graeme_rigg@hotmail.com

PS UMASSJAG, I think you provided your email address some time ago, although I'd need to find it!

will miss you all... seems that most who travel with costa not go the same time but just want to greet during embarking and disembarking... we're on the Concordia from 14 till 25 march...

That's a shame Hans, I went to university with a good friend who lives in Groningen. I see you are down in Zeeland. Afraid we haven't got anywhere further South than Den Haag & Rotterdam, but hopefully one day.

Hope the cruise is great...

G

• 4 weeks later...

Hello fellow travelers! Just adding my name to the roll call for the Concordia. My husband, son (11) and I will be on the ship from 4/4 till 4/15 (only 6 weeks and counting). Last summer our family did a Mediterranean cruise on the Carnival Liberty and loved it so much we're back to the Med for a new adventure.

The only ship excursion we've chosen so far is in Egypt (Pyramids/Camel/Jeep). We're working on setting up our own excursions in the other ports. Last year we were able to do this with some other CC travelers on the Liberty and had a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello CCM, graemerigg and UMASSJAG!

Are you getting excited? Less than 1 month away and I can't wait.:p

A little nervous though about the lack of a large roll call. I guess I'm just use to the comfort of the large roll calls on Carnival's cruises. This will just make this trip more adventurous.

UMASSJAG - did you find out any info on Athens for Easter Sunday?

I contacted Mike Barrett at greecetravel.com and he said that the Acropolis and museums are all closed that day and that most shops and restaruants will also be closed. When I checked out websites like the offical Greece site, Rick Steves, Fodors, etc., the only thing I could tell for sure was that state run museums were closed for the holiday. He also mentions that many people leave town for the countryside or the islands at Easter, so I'm not sure what the taxis/guide situation will be either. We were going to use the metro and go into town ourselves.

Have you set anything up for Izmir yet? I'm still working on that one. Private tours are only cheaper when you have a group of like 6 or more (there's only 3 of us -- guess we should have opted for a large family -lol :rolleyes: ).

If you want to meet up on the ship, let me know so we can arrange something (www.bobkats13@yahoo.com).

Ciao!

I am also looking forward to the cruise. This will be our first cruise. I guess the lack of a large roll call is proof that maybe there won't be a lot of English speakers on board. I have not heard anything on Athens for Sunday. I am asking my travel agent to call the ship to see what will happen to the excursions on that day. Looks like everything except for churches will be closed. I am hoping that I will get to see some of the sites even if it means looking at them from the outside.

I have not booked anything for Izmir because I have been to most of the sites around there already. I have a friend who lives there and I am going to get the low down from him on where to buy carpets and I will probably make my way to the bazaar.

I signed up for excursions in Olympia, Cyprus and Egypt. Everything else I plan to do on my own.

Meeting up will be good. Graeme proposed the first night or so when we are at sea. I get on board in Savona on the 5th. I have signed up for the early dinner seating since I have a 7 year old and an infant. How about you?

We have signed up for the first dinner seating also. Do you know if graeme has the first seating also?

Eygpt and Cyprus are the only ship tours we have signed up for. In Izmir we are going to do a private tour with Nejat Incedogan to Ephesus. Savona, Athens, and Rhodes we are gonna do on our own. Katakolon/Olympia I'm still pondering. I'd do it on my own, but just not sure about the time frame - what with it being a 1/2 day and not sure what time they let passengers off that are not on ship excursions.

It's great that you have a friend in Izmir who can help you out. I would love to look at, possibly purchase a Turkish rug, but have not a clue what I'd be looking at. We have some family that have been there in the past, and obviously knew what they they were doing. Their house is filled with different types of Turkish rugs. My uncle-in-law said the best part for him was haggling with the salesmen.

Is your 7 year old a boy or girl? My son wanted to know.

Hi all

We are also first sitting. Would usually go for second but just a little too late this time & most of the days don't get back very late. Only signed up for a tour in Egypt - two of us are doing the Pyramids/Museum, the other two are doing Alexandria half day.

Katms- at Katakolon last time we took a taxi - there was a huge line of them immediately across from the gang plank. Was lucky to have walked past the first person to approach us, since the next driver had a brand new VW Passat, spoke good English and was friendly. Their main (only!) trade is Cruise ships so almost no risk of them getting you back from Olympia late. The historic site and Olympia town are some distance apart so advantage of doing it yourself is that you can decide on your own length of time in each - it is also cheaper. I'm pretty sure we paid 50 euros for the half day for the taxi for up to 4 people (we didn't try to haggle since the price seemed reasonable). Only negative might be was that we were aware that we weren't getting as much knowledge from our small guide book we purchased as others did from their Costa guide. All and all however prefered to wander on our own than stand for too long being told everything in great detail.

Dan - good point re:Easter sunday in Athens. I'm trusting the Acropolis is open to see the Parthenon even if the museum is closed? I can't remember any gates although its possible that there were some limiting access to the site, that you walked past without realising.

All the best

Graeme

Graeme, Good info about Olympia. I will have to consider that.

Katms, I have two boys. The 7 year old asks every day when we are going on the boat ride. I went to Ephesus about 16 years ago...you should definitely enjoy it. I lived in Turkey for 15 months so I can give you some info on carpet buying if you are interested. I am hoping my friend will show me where a reputable dealer is. If you want, feel free to email me at jacklemieux77@hotmail.com.

KATMS/Graeme,

Here is some info from someone I know in Athens who called the Tourism office

The office said they have good news and bad news. The good news is the weather will probably be beautiful here and you won't have to fight a lot of crowds. The bad news is the national cultural sites will be shut down. The tourism ministry did seem to think there will be tours leaving from the cruise ship. Probably it will be busses that drive you by the things you want to see. Also, there will be some restaurants open that day.

My friend said I would get the most bang for your buck if I had a taxi drop me off in Monastaraki or the Plaka.

From those areas you can look up at the Acropolis and walk through the flea market. A lot of the flea market shops will be closed, but you might find a few that are open and some restaurants should be open too.

The Parthenon will be high up on the hill, but it still looks impressive from that area. Other sites in the area you can get pretty close to are the Temple of Hephestus, the Ancient Agora, and Hadiran's Arch. Theres a little walking involved but its not that bad.

:)

Thanks Dan

That's good to know re:Athens. I did a few searches on google on Athens and Easter. There was some good stuff at virtualtourist mostly saying that Greece is a great place to be in during Easter because there are festival everywhere and it is a very special time (bigger festival than Christmas). That said a bit unsure where to go exactly that will be open!

Also seems that lot of people head out of town so it should be peaceful anyway.

I hope all of you report back!!!

Yesterday we just booked for Feb 29, 2008 and one of the members of our cc group from our Galaxy Caribbean cruise booked also.

I won't even think about trying a roll-call yet. I can hardly wait to hear how about the wonderful trip you have.

Just good reports and insider tips---have a great time.

If you haven't already seen it, excellent 7 min movie/commercial for C Concordia at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO-LYkur29M

or www.youtube.com

& put costa concordia in the search bar, and it's the first movie.

Although should warn you that it shows lots, so you may not want to ruin the surprise?

Mountainmare - we promise to write a review on return!!

AJR - hello!

Hello fellow travelers! Just adding my name to the roll call for the Concordia. My husband, son (11) and I will be on the ship from 4/4 till 4/15 (only 6 weeks and counting). Last summer our family did a Mediterranean cruise on the Carnival Liberty and loved it so much we're back to the Med for a new adventure.

The only ship excursion we've chosen so far is in Egypt (Pyramids/Camel/Jeep). We're working on setting up our own excursions in the other ports. Last year we were able to do this with some other CC travelers on the Liberty and had a great time.

Hello Katms and fellow travelers departing Arpil 4. My husband and our 3 kids (boy 12, and 2 - 12 year old girls...think you'll be able to pick us out?) can't wait to "live" their history books. We have first seating as well and have only booked the camel tour so far.

Graeme - a bit off topic, we will actually be in Glasgow before the cruise. Our son is dancing in the Irish dance World Championships in Glasgow on the 2nd. We were thinking about going to Edinburgh for a day by train, are we being unrealistic? If we did go, besides the castle what else could you recommend for kids with only having a day?

Safe trip to all.

Hi niteowleo

Great to hear that someone else is on the trip. We really will have to arrange to all meet up on board (should we all be ordering Cruise critic hats or tshirts, so we can spot each other (only joking). We leave next Friday since we have a few days in Rome first - so not long to go now. Sounds like you are joining the ship the same day as ourselves in Rome.

The idea of going to Edinburgh for the day from Glasgow is definately realistic - it's only a 50 min train ride (quick train is the one via Falkirk) and there's trains every 15 mins or so - hence no need to book or plan which exact train in advance. Train goes from the very centre of each city (note get off at Edinburgh Waverley)

train website http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/index.php

I'd highly recommend that you make the effort to come to Edinburgh for part of the trip. Glasgow is going through a very successful period of regeneration with a boom in retail, property and new restaurants/bars. However Edinburgh still has old charm and heritage that is special.

In terms of attractions, it really depends what you are into. There is the High street also called the 'Royal Mile' in the 'old town' with the Castle at one end and Holyrood palace http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page559.asp at the other (about a 15-20 mins walk). Beside the castle are attractions called http://www.camera-obscura.co.uk/ and

http://www.whisky-heritage.co.uk/

Which are both good places.

Other family attractions are-

http://www.dynamicearth.co.uk/ (near the Holyrood end of the Mile)

www.realmarykingsclose.com (nearer the castle end)

http://www.the-dungeons-tickets.com/edinburgh-dungeons.html#content

http://www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk/ (a bus ride away in Leith)

I'm not a huge fan of the Edinburgh Dungeon, it is rather goolish

but (older) children may find it fun.

In terms of restaurants, if you want a good lunch - Jacksons at 209 - 213 High Street/Royal Mile T. 0131- 225-1793 is very good, or a good basic, popular & excellent value (£7.95 for 2 courses) French restaurant is La P'tite Folie

61 Frederick Street (off Princes Street the big shopping street) T. 0131 225 7983. Note behind Princes Street is a small shopping street called Rose street and then an attractive more tasteful street called George street for shopping/restaurants and cafe/bars etc (also nearby are the usual TGI Friday, Hard Rock Cafe, fast food + Starbucks etc)

Any questions are welcome

Best regards

Graeme

graeme_rigg@hotmail.com

Welcome aboard niteowleo!

We're glad that you will be joining us. My son is especially excited as you have a 12 year old son. I think I have everything planned, and what I don't well -- we'll just wing it. I'm taking a break from backing. Only three more days before we leave. We are staying several days in Rome pre-cruise. I hope that the weather will cooperate. No rain please! Looks like the high temperatures will be like Florida's lows. So it should be good sightseeing weather.

It would be nice if all of us could meet up, maybe before dinner since we all have the first seating. Does anyone have any ideas on where we can meet? I'll look at a layout of the ship to see if I find an easy place. We're staying on the 7th floor - midship so any direction would be fine with us. Hey, we might even find that we're sitting at the same dinner table if it's true that they seat people by their native language.

Ohh, I'm so excited, I can hardly wait! :D

Kathy

PS. Hope we don't disappear into that European Bermuda triangle that seems to occur with this ship. There were several cruisers that sailed on the Concordia the beginning of March and said they would report back, but have heard nothing yet. :confused:

Hi Niteowleo

Think we may be sitting at the table next to you at dinner! the table for four closest to the stairs!

Ship very impressive, v casual other passengers, good meal, currently sailing for Savona

50 euro cents a minute posting here from the ship hence byeeee

Archived