Any idea who the Captain will be on Sapphire ??

S&D

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there is any information yet on who the Captain of the Sapphire will be for the Australia/Asia season from next December thru to March?

Does anyone know where we can find out. Thanks for any replies ;)

S&D

:)

Hi S&D

I believe the schedule will be:

July - September 2004: Captain Christopher F Rynd

September 2004 - January 2005: Captain Attilio Guerrini

January - March 2005: Captain Christopher F Rynd

Captain Attilio Guerrini

Captain Attilio Guerrini was born in a small village in Tuscany, Italy in 1948 and was the first of his family to choose a career at sea, when he went to sea on a fishing trawler at age of fourteen.

In 1968, after graduating from the Livorno Nautical Institute, he served two years in the Italian Navy as a Reserve Officer on minesweeping units. He then spent the next ten years on various cargo vessels before making the move to the passenger fleet, and Sitmar Cruises, in 1981.

Captain Guerrini has served as Staff Captain aboard the old Star, Sun and Dawn Princess and has enjoyed being in command of the Fair Princess, the original Star Princess (including her final voyages as part of the fleet in 1997), the Crown and Regal Princess and the Dawn Princess.

In 1998 he was appointed Relief Captain of the new Sea Princess for inaugural season and, in 2003, oversaw the launch of the new P&O Ocean Village brand, before taking command of the ship for her maiden seasons in the Mediterranean and Caribbean. He then took command of Sapphire Princess for her inaugural season in 2004.

As Captain, he has sailed throughout the world on cruises to the Caribbean, the Panama Canal, the South Pacific, Hawaii, Asia, Alaska and the Mediterranean. He lists his two favourite cruising areas as the tropical South Pacific and the cultural Mediterranean.

Captain Guerrini currently resides on Queensland’s Gold Coast of Australia, with his wife, Joanne and daughters, Annalisa and Francesca, who enjoy traveling with him as often as they can.

When on leave, he enjoys spending time with his family, visiting Tuscany, cycling and other outdoor pursuits.

Captain Christopher F Rynd

Captain Rynd was born in New Zealand and grew up in the Far-East, Fiji and Samoa. He went to sea at the age of seventeen as a cadet in the Union Steam Ship Company of New Zealand, before joining P&O Cruises in 1974.

He gained his Master's Certificate in 1979 and widened his professional experience as a reserve officer in the ship's of the British Navy. He has previously commanded the Royal Princess, the original Pacific Princess, the Pacific Sky, the Regal Princess and the new Pacific Princess before being appointed Relief Captain of the new Sapphire Princess in 2004.

His interests apart from a full family life include sailing small yachts, hiking, gardening, fly fishing and amongst his passive interests are classical music and history. He is married and has three teenage children.

Hope this helps!

Andrew.

We'll whoever it is I hope he has command of the english language....seems every Italian Captain or Norweigan you can't understand the mumbling that comes out of those PA systems...for all I know he could be ordering an abandon ship!:cool: :eek: :cool:

Sailed three times with Capt. Rynd, while he was still Staff Captain, and found him to be very friendly with passengers, and very proper with the crew.

I would imagine that as Captain, he would continue to be passenger friendly, but perhaps a "task master" concerning the crew.

If memory serves correctly, he did say that had he not gone to sea, he might well have become a "man of the cloth" pastor. He did conduct the non-denominational services several times while we were sailing on his ship (sailed with him on both old Pacific Princess, Sky Princess, now Pacific Sky in Australian service, and Royal Princess.

Crowsie

I think you are misreading when Diamond Princess is going out to the Far East. The thread says Dec 2005 drydocking in Singapore, not December 2004.

That being the case, it will not affect our sailing on Sapphire Princess Mar 2005.

Michael

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

We are cruising for the very first time in August on the Sapphire. My husband jokes all the time about all the time I spend reading messages in Cruise Critic's. Says, I should know the name of the Captain of our ship by now. I would love to be able to say, "as a matter of fact I do." Can anyone tell me how to find out?

Archived