Dress Code

retiredbrit

OK this is one for the gentlemen. My husband is ex Brit Military and he always ties his own Bow Tie (or gets me to do it if we're on the same continant!!!). It was frowned upon to own a made up Bow Tie, and woe betide anyone turning up for a dining in night in one. The question is 'self made ties are more proper?' Agree or disagree.

In the military bow ties must be self tied. Outside the military either self tied or pre-tied is proper. Those who want to impress people learn to tie their own. Probably no one will notice that someone tied their own unless they untie it and wear James Bond style......

In the military bow ties must be self tied. Outside the military either self tied or pre-tied is proper. Those who want to impress people learn to tie their own. Probably no one will notice that someone tied their own unless they untie it and wear James Bond style......

Before our HAL cruise my DH purchased a "real" bowtie. Unfortunately he didn't practice tying the silly thing before the cruise and ended up getting very frustrated. Thank goodness we had brought his back-up tie. On our last cruise we were both better prepared and got it right!

OK this is one for the gentlemen. My husband is ex Brit Military and he always ties his own Bow Tie (or gets me to do it if we're on the same continant!!!). It was frowned upon to own a made up Bow Tie, and woe betide anyone turning up for a dining in night in one. The question is 'self made ties are more proper?' Agree or disagree.

My answer to your "question is 'self made ties are more proper?" (for a formal wear evening, such as a dining-in, is that self-made bow ties are more proper. But in the American military, a made-up bow tie is not improper, just not as nice as self made formal bow ties. Let me also suggest that one who has served in the military should also wear appropriate medals (miniature in the case of American military) on formal nights. I am a Colonel of U.S. Marines (Retired)

We too cruise Celebrity as we seek high standards which includes formal/informal and casual dining and the appropriate dress code to be observed.

Quite honestly I feel sorry for those who do not observe the code. It is always terrible to find that you are under dressed for an event, better to look fabulous and be overdressed which is the attitude that I adopt on every cruise.

It is sad and weak of Celebrity or any other line feel unable to enforce their codes but the way forward is to ensure that we who subscribe to these standards of excellence continue to uphold the code, so chin up, big smile, dress to kill and put the rest to shame

Archived