Alaska without an excursion in every port?

DaisyGirl55

One can see a lot in the Alaskan ports without spending an arm and a leg - as long as no planes, trains, or boats are involved! For a first-time trip anywhere, I try to see what I really want to see. I always hope I'll return, but there are no guarantees in life.

DaisyGirl - you can whale watch for about $115-$125/pp, take the WP&YR for ~ $100/pp (rail/bus combo I'm doing is $109); and flightseeing starts at ~ $200/pp ($199 Coastal helicopter in Juneau; $209 Misty Fjords floatplane in Ketchikan). Those are prices for independent vendors. If you do whale watching in Juneau for $115, train in Skagway for $109, and Misty Fjords in Ketchikan for $209 - that's $433/person - so about $900 for the "whizbang" excursions. Add another $100 for shuttles, admission fees, tips, etc. and you've spent $1000 for 2 people. While $1000 is a lot of money, most people spend at least that much for their cruise - and if they have a balcony they're spending that much MORE for it.

NancyIL - I noticed in your itinerary that you're going to the Glacier Gardens in Juneau. I've contemplated that and was wondering if anyone recommended that to you, or if you just thought it looked interesting? We are doing almost the exact same things that you are on SB Island Princess 6/18. Renting a car in Skagway instead of the train, and using a different vendor for Misty Fjords flight mainly because we got a better price for a group (we are 12 traveling together) We plan on spending no more than $300pp on all the excursions, but will have a balcony room for the first time. I really enjoy your common sense comments on these boards. Now if I could just find a guide to take us to the Saxman Village in Ketchikan (w/o booking the entire town tour as we thought we'd use Budget Queen's directions for our own walking tour) just for the tour of the village. Maybe we can find someone to do that when we arrive at the dock. :)

NancyIL - I noticed in your itinerary that you're going to the Glacier Gardens in Juneau. I've contemplated that and was wondering if anyone recommended that to you, or if you just thought it looked interesting? We are doing almost the exact same things that you are on SB Island Princess 6/18. Renting a car in Skagway instead of the train, and using a different vendor for Misty Fjords flight mainly because we got a better price for a group (we are 12 traveling together) We plan on spending no more than $300pp on all the excursions, but will have a balcony room for the first time. I really enjoy your common sense comments on these boards. Now if I could just find a guide to take us to the Saxman Village in Ketchikan (w/o booking the entire town tour as we thought we'd use Budget Queen's directions for our own walking tour) just for the tour of the village. Maybe we can find someone to do that when we arrive at the dock. :)

Sorry I missed seeing this before, and thanks for the compliment!

We have quite a bit of time in Juneau (8 a.m.-9 p.m.), so I want to see as much as possible without going on one of the pricier excursions involving planes or boats! I read good reviews of Glacier Gardens in several guidebooks, and there's a 2-for-1 coupon in the Toursaver book - making it an even better value. Once we decided to rent a car in Juneau - that made the decision to go there easier - since we won't have to figure out the city bus schedule or pay ~$40 for a RT taxi.

Maybe we can find someone to do that when we arrive at the dock. :)

You probably won't have any problems getting a Saxman tour from the dock. We've gone out there a couple times with Sourdough in just that fashion. Of course, it's been a couple years, so I'm not certain if they offer it anymore without the city tour.

-Monte

mbisson- Thanks for the info. Did I interpret things correctly- that you were able to get a tour that just went to Saxman? I've gone to the websites of both Sourdough and Rainbird and I can only find a 2.5 hr. tour that includes the village and the town. How long was your Saxman village tour?:confused:

mbisson- Thanks for the info. Did I interpret things correctly- that you were able to get a tour that just went to Saxman? I've gone to the websites of both Sourdough and Rainbird and I can only find a 2.5 hr. tour that includes the village and the town. How long was your Saxman village tour?:confused:

Yes, but like I say that was a couple years ago. It seems that the tour was about 2 hours. Looking at their website it appears that they are now including the "city tour" in that package, but that honestly shouldn't add a lot of time to the tour. Ketchikan isn't large.

-Monte

My goodness -- when did a TA bite you? Don't trust your trip to a stranger -- trust it to some nice familiar guy or gal who makes their reputation by posts on a message board??? Ridiculous!

...for picking and booking your cruise, a reputable local Travel Agent is the person who is the expert.

:mad: Despite using a local travel agency with so many certificates hung on the walls that it's a wonder they don't all come tumbling down, my family learned they don't know it all; a very expensive lesson. Oh sure, ours has been to Alaska numerous times, and you'd likely recognize the national travel group she's with... I trusted her... I have since gleaned (amazingly, from this 'bulletin board' and these posters which you belittle:rolleyes: ) that the ship and the itinerary she directed us to for our first Alaskan cruise was not the best for our family. And I'm pretty doggone easy to please.

Actually, I DO wish she'd bitten me the minute I walked in her door... I'd've known to run far, far away. And fast.

...brag about their ability to "research" their trip by reading bulletin boards like this one. Who are they kidding??

I planned our second Alaskan cruise almost completely based on recommendations from folks on this board who LIVE there, TRAVEL there, and/or LOVE Alaska as much (or more than) I've come to love it. I also read books, perused websites, comparison shopped, THEN called the TA with the best price and ended up with the most fabulous Alaskan vacation. I'm not 'bragging', but neither am I 'kidding'!!! Do you think I'm an idiot who doesn't know when she's had a great trip and when she hasn't... and where to give much of the credit? Certainly wasn't the TA.

My TA never mentioned TourSaver, Kenai Fjords National Park day cruises, Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine State Park, or explained the difference between the Shuttle or Tour buses for Denali National Park - Thanks Budget Queen. Car rental to Emerald Lake? Never even mentioned car rental. Much less shared a map highlighting points-of-interest along the way - Thanks Yukon. She couldn't share personal experience between 2 ships under my consideration since she hadn't sailed them - Thanks Coral. She sure didn't inform me of charter availability to Tracy Arm if port timing for set scheduled tours was lacking - Thanks CanCanCase. My TA certainly didn't mention the ease of shuttling to Mendenhall Glacier sans ship-booked excursion. AdventureBound?... one of the best tours we've taken... doubt she's even heard of them. All information I picked up HERE. There are SO many more posters who've shared their insight and knowledge of Alaska that I can't even begin to name them all. Just a post here, a post there, but it all adds up to a huge base of information I had for my second Alaskan cruise and will have for future Alaskan cruises. They didn't make a reputation by just posting on these boards... they earned a reputation for reliable posting on them. I recently read a post by Host Caroline reminding folks that these are only opinions posted, and not everyone has the same. I appreciate those kind of reminders. In truth, a TA is only giving her (supposedly more educated) opinion, also. MY OPINION - PERSONAL research is a KEY in finding the best cruise/vacation possible... I'm not letting a TA run the show. It's MY money, and MY vacation.

Now consider my DW, for example -- she is a CLIA Master Cruise Counselor, has over 15 years experience... has cruised to Alaska 8 times... training... documents... travel group... picture in a frame on her desk...

Rah, rah... RAH.... I'm glad she reliable, experienced, trustworthy, trained, documented, grouped, and framed. I'm sure she's a big help to those individuals lucky enough to procure her services... We can't all be so lucky. Eight Alaskan cruises, even. Impressive. But not here.

To say it's ridiculous to trust posters on the Alaska boards... That's HOGWASH! I THANK them. Most of us can discern between the postings of value and the postings to disregard. I've used the TA's advice and I've used advice from posters here. I know which has been of more value for my trips.

Kind of funny when ya' think about it... if posters here are just ridiculous, then why would you think your constant posting to get to a TA ASAP, trust only a TA, and that a TA is the only expert isn't just as ridiculous??!!

These boards are for opinons... you're welcome to opine on TA's (wife included) all you want. But please quit denouncing this messageboard and the invaluable postings from posters who find joy in helping others plan for Alaska. We don't all want or need hand holding. Been there, done that.:)

:D Very well said sym1966 - and I, too, want to salute those that you've saluted!! They sure know more about the place than my TA and from what I've read, and from friends I've talked to who have been there, I've definitely learned to highly respect the opinions of some of the posters here! ;)

I agree!! Without the all the info I got here and some cruise/line boards, I would never have had the courage to book my first cruise to Alaska last year.

We were back 9 days when DH asked about 2007. Because of all the info I already had, I was able to book within 24hrs.

AND because all the info I was able to give DH last time, this time he trusts CC, and I've got got the 2 excursions I wanted to do last time :D

Honestly, I don't think it is an "either/or" thing between researching and booking totally on your own or doing it through a travel agent. For me, half the fun is the planning so I like to do a lot of research myself. But if it costs you nothing more to do part if not all of the booking through a travel agent, why not? For cruises, travel agents still get paid commissions from the cruise lines so it should cost you the same whether you use one or book on your own. If you find an online agency that offers a great price, a local agency should be able to at least match it if not beat it.

So combining our own experiences and information from this board and using a travel agent can be most beneficial when used in tandem.

I know many people who have been stranded - after 9/11, after the snow storms in Denver - who were basically on their own. The airlines' phone systems were overloaded and after a short recorded message, they disconnected you. So there are very distinct benefits in using a travel agent who is more accessible and more personable than a phone agent of an airline or cruise line. Just my two cents of course.

Honestly, I don't think it is an "either/or" thing between researching and booking totally on your own or doing it through a travel agent. For me, half the fun is the planning so I like to do a lot of research myself. But if it costs you nothing more to do part if not all of the booking through a travel agent, why not? For cruises, travel agents still get paid commissions from the cruise lines so it should cost you the same whether you use one or book on your own. If you find an online agency that offers a great price, a local agency should be able to at least match it if not beat it.

So combining our own experiences and information from this board and using a travel agent can be most beneficial when used in tandem.

I don't disagree with a word you've posted. :)

The difference between an Alaskan cruise I let an 'expert' TA take the lead on, and the one that I researched on my own then booked through a TA (albiet not the same local one again) as an informed consumer was just phenomenal.

Alaska cruises are an expensive investment. I don't wish to see others make the same mistake I did... believing the TA to be the 'expert'. Perhaps that's why I'm a bit hot on the subject.

What I take exception with is being ridiculed for trusting in more sources for expert advice than just a TA. I ended up with more of a rant than I should've over the subject in my last post; thank you to those who understand. :)

Back to the subject... my personal opinion is that you needn't have something booked for each port. Especially if budget is a consideration. We have chosen a couple of excursions that really interested us and booked in advance, then let the rest fall into place.

Flightseeing, helicopter tours, whale-watching... I don't think I'd leave to chance. Things like tours of Dollys House, Mendenhall Glacier shuttles, Mt Roberts tram, museums, etc are always available and are enjoyable and interesting time-fillers if you don't have something specific planned.

Ketchikan and Skagway are easily walkable. It helps to have a city map from the CoC or other non-ship procured map. Juneau is a bit larger. We enjoyed taking the city bus when we had an unplanned early arrival in Juneau... and it was an eye-opener to get away from the typical tourist areas.:)

I don't disagree with a word you've posted. :)

The difference between an Alaskan cruise I let an 'expert' TA take the lead on, and the one that I researched on my own then booked through a TA (albiet not the same local one again) as an informed consumer was just phenomenal.

Alaska cruises are an expensive investment. I don't wish to see others make the same mistake I did... believing the TA to be the 'expert'. Perhaps that's why I'm a bit hot on the subject.

What I take exception with is being ridiculed for trusting in more sources for expert advice than just a TA. I ended up with more of a rant than I should've over the subject in my last post; thank you to those who understand. :)

Back to the subject... my personal opinion is that you needn't have something booked for each port. Especially if budget is a consideration. We have chosen a couple of excursions that really interested us and booked in advance, then let the rest fall into place.

Flightseeing, helicopter tours, whale-watching... I don't think I'd leave to chance. Things like tours of Dollys House, Mendenhall Glacier shuttles, Mt Roberts tram, museums, etc are always available and are enjoyable and interesting time-fillers if you don't have something specific planned.

Ketchikan and Skagway are easily walkable. It helps to have a city map from the CoC or other non-ship procured map. Juneau is a bit larger. We enjoyed taking the city bus when we had an unplanned early arrival in Juneau... and it was an eye-opener to get away from the typical tourist areas.:)

Another option in Juneau instead of the city bus is the trolley.

http://juneautrolley.com/

It may be more expensive than the bus but it goes all over town and you can get on and off as many times as you want.

Archived