Quick newbie question

michaelark

How long does it take to get off the ship when you've reached the port? If the itinerary says arrive at 7:00a, when should I expect to be off the ship? I will be in a SS suite - do suites get priority? (Actually, I have no clue as to whether they assign you numbers, go deck by deck in a certain order, or what??) I don't plan on booking shore excursions through HAL, except for renting a cabana at Half Moon Cay.

How soon do you need to be back to the ship prior to departure? If ship departs at noon, do I have to be back by 11:00? or would 11:45 be okay?

Thanks!

Usually after the ship arrives in port, the various port/govt officials come aboard to clear the ship...this takes about 1 hour or less and then they make an announcement telling the passengers that they may disembark. As far as I know only "S" and "PH" cat. get priority for disembarking. If the ship is docked portside disembarkation goes pretty fast (the thing that holds it up is the damn photographers taking pictures) If you have to tender to shore now that does take time. Don't worry, you will have plenty of time to take tours (if your are going on your own) and If you have booked a tour on the ship they take care of all details. The tell you numerous times when to be back on board and when the ship leaves. I hope that this has answered some of your questions. Have a great cruise. I have sailed on HAL 7 times and think they are the greatest.

If the ship will be tending allow a lot of extra time. Often those who have bought ship tours get off before us mere SS mortals.

If the ship is docked, it is much quicker for everyone to get off at once !

Usually its all aboard a half hour before sailing.

All of the times that are listed are subject to change- they are not written in stone. You will get the exact info in the daily news that you recieve and usually also at the gangway is a reminder.

:)

And if you do have a tendering port, you will have to report to a certain lounge to get a tender ticket. The time and place will be posted in the daily program. If you want to get off the ship early, then be in the meeting place early. There are times when very few tours are booked and as a result there are more people waiting for the tenders. Those booked on tours are among the first ones to use the tenders.

We have gotten to the point that when we get near the photograghers, we just shake our heads no and keep moving on. They are a pain at times. And they do hold up the lines.

:)

If the ship docks, you are advised (it is posted at the gangway and in the daily info) to be back on board 30 minutes before departure.

If it is a tender port the "last tender" time is posted. In Stornoway, I called the front desk at 5:45 (6pm sailing) and asked if all the tenders were back as my husband and son had not arrived in the cabin. I was told that there were still 2 tenders at shore.

Many of you may know this, but we watched them load the tenders after sailing many times on this last trip.

We had no long lines or delays on the transatlantic either docked or tendering.

The only problem seemed to be in the Isle of Man where HAL chartered a local boat as a 5th tender. The problem was the local boat had a hard time abutting the ship and had to come in next to a ships's tender for people to cross to the gangway. There was quite a chop, and even the HAL tenders were having problems.

I realize that there are fewer tour options in Europe than in the Caribbean, but many people go off on their own in Europe so it probably evens out. Of course "S" and "R" have fewer passengers than Vista class; it's probably all relative.

GN

Be sure to get the exact times that you have to be back on the ship if you are taking any excursions, especially those not run by HAL. When we were in Key West a couple was taking a sailing excursion independent of HAL and didn't notice that their trip ran past the time when the gangway was raised. There were a couple of red faces as they climbed up the rope ladder on the side of the Z...it it wasn't because of the heat either. :)

What exactly does "tender" mean?

Does anyone know which of the following ports are "tender ports?"

Nassau

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Road Town, Tortola

Half Moon Cay - I'm pretty sure I've read that this one is.

Thanks!!

The tenders are motorized vessels accomodating approx. 150 passengers that are used for transport in harbors that are not deep enough for the ship, or where the docking facilities are not adequate. They are stored aboard ship and raised and lowered when needed. They are also part of the lfe boat contingent. They are covered and enclosed. They leave from the gangway on the main deck.

We watched the lowering and retreiving process from our veranda many times. It's quite interesting to watch the crew enter and exit through the hatches in the roof while securing them aboard.

GN

Half Moon Cay is a "tender only" port. It depends on how many ships are in port that day for the others but we were able to dock at Nassau and Road Town.

Tenders are the little boats that take you to shore when the ship can't pull right up to the dock.

Archived