Question about weight gain

indiaksue

Thursday I had lost 1/2 lb. That same day I injured my wrist. Doctor is not sure if it is tendonitis or gout. It has swollen up and is very painful. On Friday I gained 3 lbs, according to my scale and the doctors scale. Since then 1 lb of it has come off but it is unexplainable. I have done nothing different, plus I have had the same level of activity as usual. I have had a huge appetite but have kept my calories within range.

My question is does your body store up when you are injured to repair itself. Or could it possibly be just water. It is very strange and it coinsides with this injury. If anyone has an answer for me let me know.

Angie

Angie, I am sorry that you hurt your wrist. I hope it gets better soon. Good question about your body storing up due to an injury. I wonder if there are any nurses or docs out there who can answer this question.

Don't panic about the 3 lbs. Everybody's weight fluctuates daily due to what we eat and water. That is why it is recommended that you only weigh once a week or less. I weigh every day and all it does is stress me out. I just can't seem to keep of the scales. :rolleyes: My weight fluctuates a lot. Just follow your program and the weight should come off.

Angie, I hope your wrist is doing better. Your question is a good one. I'm not a doctor and have not researched this, but since you said the wrist was really swollen, then it would make sense that the extra weight is in your wrist. I believe your body is trying to protect itself from further injury. JMO.

I have been lingering at about 11/2 to 2 lbs above my last Thursday's weigh in. I have had a huge appetite, which I attribute to the injury. I have tried to not eat too much extra, but have been taking in about 200 extra calories a day. I am going in to have x-rays today, and once I start the healing process, maybe I can get back on track. :( Feeling a little down right now. This is the first big snag in my weight loss.

Angie

• 2 weeks later...
Angie, sorry to hear about your wrist. Hope it is doing better.

I agree with Miriam, try not to weigh yourself everyday. This will only discourage you. I would actually suggest weighing yourself once a month. Use the mirror as a judge for how you are doing, not the scale. And definitely don't fret over a 2 or 3 pound increase. Just keep eating healthy and stick to it. Eventually you will reach your goals.

Good luck,
Mike

Sorry to hear that you've hurt yourself. :(

I've had water retention problems for over 30 years and take diuretics for it daily. To give you an idea of weight vs fluid retention relationship, my Dr told me once that 10 lbs = 1 gallon of excess fluid. :eek: Over the years, I've found that to be pretty accurate.

Beth

Thanks for all your feedback. I am on the mend now and the extra 3 lbs have come off plus 2 more. I was asking the question mainly because I try to stay very in-tune with my body and signals it gives me. It usually doesn't act in this manner. Usually I do not gain weight unless I have had an excessive amount of food during a day. So when I gained suddenly after not doing anything different I was just curious. Also the fact that I was suddenly so hungry all the time for several days, led me to believe I was trying to repair tissue.

Oh well it is done and over with and I am once again on my way down.

Angie

Archived