REVIEW - Beach dive in CocoCay

w&k

Fellow divers -

We're just back from the Sovereign – we did the beach dive at CocoCay on May 11, 2004 – not too bad of a beach dive.

Divers were asked to report to the 2nd floor lobby at 8:15 am. A couple of tables were set up with dive and snorkeling staff handing out release forms. Our landing at CocoCay was delayed by an hour, so we did the paperwork, and were asked to come back at 9:00 am for the first tender boat. The release form was pretty standard – initial lines all the way down the front, and answer questions on the back. We were asked for certification agency, level, number of dives, and date and location of last dive. One of the staff checked our forms and C-cards, but we were not asked for our logbooks. However, we are both Rescue, had lots of dives (200+ and 300+), and were wearing real dive watches and our beat-up skinsuits half on, so it was obvious that we were not newbies.

Returned at 9:00 for the meet and first tender – luckily our cabin was on deck 2, and we hid in the movie theatre to avoid the crowd until they called for divers. People were crammed into the lobby and packed up the stairs for several decks. Once over on CocoCay, we met at the ‘Dive Shack’. Tanks were already waiting for us on the concrete porch.

We only had one diver carrying full gear – he grabbed a tank and started getting ready off to one side. The rest of us needed varying levels of equipment. Regs were distributed – standard grade, and I think I got a US Divers. BCs were SeaQuest ADV/Spectrums, and Keith got a XXL that fit just fine (6’5â€, 280 lbs). Weights were blocks and bullets on straps with plastic buckles, and fins were full-foot (we brought old socks just in case they were). Shorty wetsuits were available for those who wanted them. Fills ran 2700-2900 lbs. Our personal stuff was locked in the dive shack while we were diving. When everyone had their gear together, we went over to some picnic tables, had a short dive briefing, and buddied up in teams. We then put our gear on and headed for the snorkeling beach.

Once in the water, everyone got their fins on and tested buoyancy. Weights were adjusted, and we hitched a ride on two Jet Skis that had a rescue basket attached. To get on, you sank the back of the fiberglass basket, grabbed a rope across the front, and you were off at full speed out to the giant rock at the far edge of the snorkeling area. COOL!!!

One of the instructors was leading the dive towing a buoy, and one of the jet skis stayed to serve as surface support.

When all the divers had arrived at the rock, the leader verified everyone was ready, and we then swam around the left side of the rock and dropped down on the other side of the ledge to begin the dive. Visibility was a whale snotty 40, water temp just cool enough to be refreshing in a thick skin (~78-80 F). We followed the leader down through some algae-covered rocks and into some rock/coral formations. Sponges, and hard and soft coral growth was patchy, with some of it being quite lush on the sides of the cuts. Unfortunately, many of the corals and sponges were diver-damaged to diver-destroyed. The bottom of the cuts varied between sand, sand/rock, rock/beat up coral. Fish were also patchy – we found a couple of schools of yellowtails, assorted parrotfish and butterflyfish, a couple of large burrfish and trumpetfish, and lots of small territorials. We did see the resident school of spotted Eagle rays from about 30 feet away. Crustaceans were a bit scarce - we only found one lobster and a couple of arrow crabs, but no spider crabs were inside the sponges or underneath outcroppings. (I thought that was strange)

Divers that were low on air ascended on the line, and got a ride back to the beach on the Jet Ski cradle. The leader called the dive after 45 min, and those of us left had to swim back (no Jet Ski ride).

As I was emerging from the water, one of the ‘beach waiters’ came into the water with me and snapped a picture. ONLY on a cruise! One of the other dive staff pointed me to the dive shack, and was absolutely shocked that we rinsed out and hung up the gear before leaving to find beer and lunch.

***Soapbox time***

(I am a Floridian, and an environmental professional, so please excuse me for ranting)

There was no mention of buoyancy control for staying off the coral in the dive briefing. At the beginning of the dive, the leader actually stood on the bottom with his fin on top of a brain coral! ACK!!! One of our divers was all over everything – hopefully some of it was fire coral. I actually swam over to him with the intention of yanking him off the bottom and inflating his BC to get the point across. I didn’t do it because I was afraid I would get kicked off the ship. We do recognize that many of the divers are once-a-year weekend warriors, but we were quite disappointed at the condition of the corals.

I wish for two dives in CocoCay – leave this beat-up beach dive for the weekend warriors and newbies, and another, boat dive for experienced divers only to keep the coral beautiful.

Happy cruising and diving!

Wendy and Keith

Excellent report. I appreciate the effort you made writing it and I agree with your rant. The once a year warm water diver should at least start the dive off in the sand, where they can stand without damaging the coral.

So, are we going to see some photos?

<font color="FF6600">

if there's a way to construe my post as non-argumentative, please do so.</font>

Cruise photos on my Home page <font color="990066">

Spring Break was on the Grand Princess </font>21, March 2004

So when is the next cruise?

Bruce-

I just downloaded my new toy this afternoon (Sealife Reefmaster) and was quite suprised that I got some good pix first on the first time wet.

Could you tell me how to post pictures? I don't have a clue how to go about it... icon_confused.gif

Thanks for all your help!

Wendy

Sure thing Wendy,

you need to have the photos hosted somewhere on the web so you can link to them. They need their own "URL", which is just a way of saying web address. There are a number of free photo hosting sites, and I'll bet that your internet service provider also offers you web space.

Here is one place you can upload photos. Once you create a gallery, it you want to find the URL to an individual photo, just open the image in it's own window and the URL will be in the address line at the top. Use that when you click on the ubb_code_img.gif right above where you type in your message.

I look forward to seeing the results.

Wendy,

Sounds like our experience when we were there in April. Our divemaster was very good about not standing on the coral. Also most of the divers we were with were experienced as well. But I know what you mean. They should give standard instructions to keep the area protected. None were given, we just knew.(We had a great certification trainer.)

Thanks for the thorough report.

Sea Princess 2/02

DisneyWonder 6/03

Mariner of the Seas 4/04

Golden Princess 1/23/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;1;23;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

• 2 weeks later...

Bruce-

Thanks for the lead on posting pix. icon_smile.gif Unfortunately, my computer would not cooperate with that site, but one of my co-workers pointed me to Webshots.

Please remember that these are my first attempt, and these are just happy snaps - I'm definitely not a photographer. icon_wink.gif

Enjoy!

Wendy

webshots:wendyandkeith

Wendy - Thanks for the review and photos. I will be on the SOS next September and was contemplating doing a dive at COCO cay but may pass based on your review of the condition of the dive site. Will let you know and will also post my photos when I return.

In the meantime, I will be diving the Speigal Grove in Key Largo on June 19th along with two or three other dives that weekend. Hope to get some photos then also. Will keep you posted.

John

sea-jay at cfl dot rr dot com

First Cruise:

Explorer of the Seas 8/31/02 Western Caribbean

Then:

Sovereign of the Seas 8/28/03 Nassau

Last Cruise:

Mariner of the Seas 11/23/03 Eastern Caribbean

Archived