Pre-Paid Credit Cards

We're going on the Conquest in a few weeks, and we're trying to decide whether or not to take pre-paid credit cards. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I've given them to my brother and he used them in Utah, Nevada and Mexico with no problems.

I was given a pre-paid credit card for my birthday (VISA) for $100.00. I had a HECK of a time trying to use it at a local Sears....of all places! I had purchased about $89.00 worth of items, and the CC would not go through. Calls back and forth to VISA from me and the Sears employee, which went on for an hour. Apparently, it would not go through because I was trying to charge LESS than the pre-paid amount, and it thought I wanted the change back in cash rather than credit. The whole thing was a pain in the b***, and I definitely wouldn't take one on a cruise, since I wouldn't be able to call VISA if there was a problem. I've heard that the AMEX pre-paid cards are much better, and you shouldn't have a problem with one of these. Good luck!

I purchase them for my parents a lot when they go on vacation. You can buy them at http://www.visa.com. Be sure to check rates at each vender offered as their personal fees vary. Also keep in mind there is a charge to withdrawl cash at ATM's. In general they have worked very well, but those little fees can add up quickly. No probs at vendors for acceptance as a regular Visa card.

I pulled this text off the American Express site.

Good at retail stores and restaurants in the U.S. that welcome the American Express Card. This excludes hotels, airlines, car rental agencies, gasoline merchants, telecom providers and ATMs

Packaged in a special gold envelope with a personalized message from you

May be used all at once, or over time at various retailers and restaurants

Replaceable if lost or stolen*

24-hour customer service available

Available in prepaid amounts ranging from $25 - $500

Personalized with the recipient's name in raised letters on the front of the Card (online/phone orders only)

Delivered to you or directly to the recipient - the choice is yours (online/phone orders only)

Notice the exclusion as well as the U.S. I'm thinking this card might not be that great for a cruise or any vacation outside of the U.S..

Just curious why anyone would want a prepaid credit card. WHat would happen if you lost it? Would your money be gone? Wouldn't a regular CC be a better option? THen you would not be responsible for charges if the card was lost or stolen. Or travelers checks if you don't like the CC idea.

Stefanie

Just curious why anyone would want a prepaid credit card. WHat would happen if you lost it? Would your money be gone? Wouldn't a regular CC be a better option? THen you would not be responsible for charges if the card was lost or stolen. Or travelers checks if you don't like the CC idea.

Stefanie

I think the main school of thought is to control spending. You have this much to spend, and no more. You get the benefits of using a credit card (great exchange rate, etc) without paying it back later.

Prepaids are also great for people with little/no credit! For example, my brother has horrible credit. I can just sign up for a $3000 limit card to spend on vacation, but he doesn't have that option. He can save up the money, though and get a card to spend. The kind from my bank also have loss protection, though getting another card in the middle of the carribbean would not happen, I'm sure.

Bank Of America is doing a lot of television ads showing that they guarantee their card for next day replacement if lost or stolen. Not for or against them, we are citi bank people.

Jim

:D I just bank locally so I'm trying to imagine First National Bank of Omaha arranging a card to be picked up in Grand Cayman

I think pre-paid cards are primarily for gifts and possibly to give children going to college or on vacation to limit their spending. With the fees and everything they don't seem to make much sense to give yourself a pre-paid card. Use a regular credit card, pay the balance each month and the extra cost should be $zero.

If you are worried about running them up too high, ask the card company to reduce your credit limit. They hate to do this and would rather INCREASE your limit but be firm about what you want. If they say no, get another card.

One of my vendors pays my spifs and bonuses on a prepaid Visa... I actually paid for my cruise with one last year... I can use them anywhere. The only place I have ever had a problem is at gas stations (pay at the pump... not sure why). What we did for our spending money, was opened up a secondary checking account through the credit union, deposited the money "budgeted" for the cruise, and requested a Visa Check card.... there were no fees associated and unlike credit cards, no interest... I wish I could say it kept us within our budget, but we spent MUCH more than we anticipated :D

Archived