Flying in the morning... ? Hope someone knows!

Buddyjay16

I planned on taking my empty Eddie Bauer Water Bottle in my carry-on. And tonite I see I can't do that. No empty containers. (I suppose you could fill it up with water after getting through.)

If I fill up my bottle with say, Goldfish or some other snack do you think I could take it in? I'm not going to fill it up later. I'd hate for them to confiscate it. I just have NOOOOOOOOOOO room in my other luggage which is packed in the van already.

TIA!

We just flew from Tampa to Toronto - I saw nothing that said you couldn't transport an empty water bottle, especially a non disposable one. My kids had their plastic sport bottles tucked in the sides of their backpacks. Is this another new rule??

Here's another thought - I bought a plastic caribbean logo water bottle on the cruise ship - a souvenier.

have fun - Judi

This was on Delta's Website.

----------

You'll go smoothly through the security checkpoints in most countries if you follow these guidelines for your carry-on baggage.

• Do not pack or carry any empty containers.
  • Limit all liquids, gels, aerosols, and pastes to a maximum container size of 3.4 oz/100ml.
  • Place all such items in a quart-size, clear plastic, zip-top bag.
  • Remove your quart-size bag from your carry-on and place in the provided bin as you approach the checkpoint.

In some airports it is possible to purchase these type of items and take them on board the aircraft once you've cleared security. However, if your continuing travel takes you through additional checkpoints where they're prohibited, they could be confiscated.

Special provisions are usually made for necessary items such as medications and baby formula. For specific guidelines, visit the additional resources below for links to the appropriate government agency

I am not aware of any ban on empty beverage containers. We flew roundtrip in December, and I go through O'Hare security at least twice a week with no problems. Our drill: we take the lid off the bottle and put it in our carryon and we place the empty lidless bottle in the bin with our shoes and quart-size ziploc bag of liquids and gels. TSA people don't even blink. Once inside the sterile area, we fill the bottle at a nearby fountain ... beats paying approx $3 for, yes, plain old water.

If you pack the bottle in your carryon, the security people may see it in the scanner ... while they won't confiscate the bottle, they may do a hand-search of your carryon bag, so be prepared for a slight delay at the checkpoint. Important to give the impression of being up front with your empty bottle.

Archived