POA in hawaii

pbinn

we would like to snorkel in hawaii..and will probably bring our own gear. can someone tell me where would be good placed to snorkel right off the beach. I'm not too crazy about going off a boat if i dont have to.

we will be on the pride of aloha and stopping on each. sorry i didnt say that. just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. i have gotten a few ideas from other posts. someone had posted that there was a beach at the pier in kona

In Oahu---there are some great spots right on Waikiki Beach. I use to recommend Hanauma Bay, but it has gotten too commercialized--although it is a beautiful beach.

In Kona----Kohaluu in a really nice beach with great snorkelling and right in Kona. It has a lifeguard and is free.

In Kauai---Poipu beach, Lawai Beach and Saltpond in the south are all great in the winter. Kee, Tunnels and other northern beaches are great for snorkeling in the summer. I'd rent a car and go one way or the other. It's a small enough island that it's hard to get lost on. Kauai is our favorite island so far.

Don't know about the other islands---those are the only ones I've made it too so far.

On Big Island, right next to the Aston (or at least there used to be an aston there) there's a beach with almost guaranteed turtle sighting snorkeling. I swam with several turtles, they came right up to me and this was VERY close to the shore.

In Maui, on the highway between Lahaina and Kaanapali is this great stretch of beach around mile marker 24-27 i think and it has fantastic snorkeling.

Kauai, I second Tunnels and Poipu but there's also the beach area right in front of the Princeville hotel that's good snorkeling during high tides.

Lanai has terrible beach snorkeling--rough entry b/c of waves.

If you rent, go to Snorkel Bob's--they have hand outs with good snorkel sites on each island and if you rent on Maui for example, you can return on Big Island or wherever. Their equipment is okay, pretty standard. The tip sheets are what's most worthwhile.

Archived