Sitka?

SunFunCruiser

Sitka is full of Russian/American History. There is the hill where that was Baranoff (sp?) Russian had his residence, and the first flag of the US flew when we purchased from Russia.

There is a shuttle (city center I think) that makes about 7 stops at different important places. We took it up to the Raptor Center (Eagles, hawks, owls) and walked a path back (downhill) through the rain forest (saw Russian Memorials) on down to the Museum and carving center (totems and canoes). Once at the Museum, you can pick up the shuttle again and continue on.

There is a nice little Russian Orthodox church that is beautiful to see.

There is an old Home for Pioneers (that didn't have money back in the 1800"s (??) that is still in operation today. It's a beautiful old building to see. If I remember correctly it's almost the first building you see, once in port.

Nice small walking town. Port is small, I believe you still have to be tendered here.

We were there in 1999, so not sure if they have added tours or anything else to see. It's a lovely port.

As mentioned, Sitka is a wonderfull little town, with lots of history and fun things to see. I would definately recommend the self-guided, aimless-wandering approach in this town.

I've heard good things about the marine wildlife tours, but be sure to find one that includes St. Lazaria Island... it's your best chance at seeing puffins unless you already have some extensive touring planned up North in Whittier, Seward, etc. Other attractions not to be missed are the Russian Orthodox Church, Raptor Center and charter sport fishing - if you get the chance.

Sitka is one of our favorite cities to take my family when we need to get out of Juneau for a few days. You don't hear nearly as much about it simply because not as many ships include Sitka in their iteneraries. A few ships each week is all they seem to want over there.

Incidentally, it's only 65 miles from Juneau (by air), but when we take the boat, it's about a 6 hour ride... 20 miles north, 60+ miles south, 50 miles zig-zagging through the narrows roughly west, then another 10 or 20 miles south.

-Case

Sitka was one of my favorite ports! It is very good for wandering. Definitely make a point to go to the totem park. You can watch someone carving a pole and see some real old ones in the visitors center, but if you walk along the trail they have poles set up every so often along the trail -- like a dozen poles or more. The trail follows the shore of the bay there, and it's just beautiful. We saw a TON of eagles just hanging out around there. We also "found" a nice art gallery on the way back into town from the park. Had a lot of local stuff (or at least regional to Alaska), that in my opinion make the best souvenirs. Got a pair of mammoth tusk earrings there.

There are also a ton of excursions you can do ... I was most intrigued with a bike tour, but we just weren't feeling up to excursions on that trip (had just had a death in the family), so wandering was our preferred speed.

Sitka is our favorite port, and it's pretty walkable. The raptor center was outstanding. If you are into Alaskan artifacts, the Sheldon Jackson Museum is tops.

If anyone in your group has a Golden Age pass for the US Park Service, take it along, as then you can get in free to the Bishop's House and the Totem Pole park. It's also good in Ketchikan for the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center (near the Lumberjack show).

:) We were in Sitka May 2003 .It is a great port to visit as stated by other posters. We went to 2 shows one put on by Women who do russian dancing 9some dress as women & some dress as men).That is a terrific show to see.We also went to the Indian show;but,I liked the russian dancing the best.

Climb up Castle Hill where the Russians fought the indians .Lots of stairs up.

Cruise around & take in as much as you can.It is a beautiful port.

Happy Cruising

PS going back May 2008 God willing:D

A good many years ago when we were in Sitka we saw the New Archangel Dancers doing Russian folk dancers. We liked that very much.

For Sitka this August we are booking the ship's wildlife/otter trip, and then the town and Dancers tour.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Sea otters and wildlife from Carnival... do you get to see much, and is it a very large group on each boat?

As far as I know, any marine excursion (wildlife tour, whale watch, etc.) sold on ship will be serviced by Allen Marine in Sitka. They run great tours, but it will likely be one of the larger, double-decker catamarans - 100-150 passengers.

I'm always a fan of private chartered tours, but the smaller boats and higher prices aren't always right for everyone.

-Case

We are looking into www.puffinsandwhales.com Its a small private company that takes only 6 people at a time.

Here's a thumbs up for Puffins and Whales!

We went with Cap'n Davey Lubin of the Esther G Sea Taxi last August in Sitka (Puffins and Whales). You don't get more personalized service than this! We saw humpback whales, seals, and puffins galore on our trip with Cap'n Davey. He's great:)

Karin

Here is another thumbs up for Capt. Davey and the Ester G (puffinsandwhales) We went out with him in August. It was the best tour we have ever taken. Only 6 people on the boat and Capt. Davey makes sure everyone gets to see what they want (eagles, whales, puffins, etc.) He knows the Sitka Sound very well and knows where the best wildlife viewing is. Plus, you will also have plenty of time left to see other areas of interest in Sitka.

Archived