Too little time, tuff decision in Hawaii

RockyTopMom

We are only in the Big Island, Hawaii, for about 9 hours. If you have to choose one over the other (apparently can't do both) would you go to VNP or drive up to see Waipio Valley? We already know we are renting a vehicle.

Thanks for the opinions.

I asked a similar question before my trip and everybody said to go to VNP. I have to agree it was worth seeing and it may be your one chance to do that. You did say "drive" in your post so assuming you will have a car you will have time to see other things besides VNP with nine (9) hours.

In my opinion you can see both if you limit your time in VNP. A couple of hours, check out the crater + some vents and hot spots and walk through the rainforest a bit, then head out. It's up to you if you want to see both in a hurry or do one and take your time.

Me personally, I'd probably want to spend the day in Volcanoes National Park, but then I haven't done Waipio Valley...

IMO, you should make VNP your focus and spend as much time there as you want. Travel time from Hilo is 45 minutes or so each way. You should plan on 2 hours minimum to do Crater Rim Dr. and add another 2 hours if you want to drive down Chain of Craters Rd. to, literally, the end of the road, where you can walk out on the lava fields (where it is safe; the rangers will know) and see the steam rising from where the current flow is entering the ocean.

I'm a huge advocate of not trying to cram every single minute to the brim. Again, IMO trying to do both will make your whole day a rush, rush, rush to get to VNP, rush through it, rush back to Hilo and then up the island, and so forth. You'll spend a lot of time just driving to get from one to the other.

I sincerely believe that if your (RockyTopMom: General "your" not directed at you specifically) purpose in going to VNP is just to say that you did and that you plan on hurrying through it, then you might as well not go at all. It would be like going to New York City, taking a taxi to the Empire State Building, looking at it, and then going back to the airport and leaving. There is only one VNP. It's awe inspiring and amazing, and it is worth the time to see and explore it properly and thoroughly.

beachchick

We are thinking of driving up to Waipio Valley from Kona when we stop there on our cruise. How long of a drive is it from Kona to Waipio?

I stayed down in Waipio Valley years ago in the Tree House B & B - not sure if it's still there. What an experience! I want to take my husband and parents to see the valley from the top and enjoy the little town. I'm assuming you still can't drive a rental car down that road into the valley - right?

Thanks for all of your opinions. I know I can't see volcanos many places and figured that VNP was the first option, but wanted to hear what others thought on the subject.

Beachchick: No offense taken, I know what you mean. I wasn't planning to do a "Micky Dee's Tour" (drive-thru) of VNP.:) You make me laugh, as I am originally from NYC and after having worked and lived there for over 25 years, I still didn't see everything I would have liked to.

sjl513: The drive from Kona to Waipio, from what I have been able to find in a number of locations, is 2 hours each way. I don't think you can drive down into the valley with a rental, but I was looking to do the Waipio Valley Wagon Tour. It sounds like a great way to see the Valley, and hands free for photography too.:)

http:http://www.waipiovalleywagontours.com

MikeKayee: We are doing both Hilo and Kona. We want to do VNP from Hilo as the drive from Kona to VNP would probably not allow us very much time in the park. I understand the drive to Weipio Valley is only 1 1/2 hours from Hilo however.

I would like to do the Wagon Tour from Kona, but with Kona being a tender port and it's supposed to be a two hour drive to Weipio Valley, I'm not sure we could make the tour on time, or get back to the ship before it sails:eek:

Any thoughts?

IMO, you should make VNP your focus and spend as much time there as you want. Travel time from Hilo is 45 minutes or so each way. You should plan on 2 hours minimum to do Crater Rim Dr. and add another 2 hours if you want to drive down Chain of Craters Rd. to, literally, the end of the road, where you can walk out on the lava fields (where it is safe; the rangers will know) and see the steam rising from where the current flow is entering the ocean.

I'm a huge advocate of not trying to cram every single minute to the brim. Again, IMO trying to do both will make your whole day a rush, rush, rush to get to VNP, rush through it, rush back to Hilo and then up the island, and so forth. You'll spend a lot of time just driving to get from one to the other.

I sincerely believe that if your (RockyTopMom: General "your" not directed at you specifically) purpose in going to VNP is just to say that you did and that you plan on hurrying through it, then you might as well not go at all. It would be like going to New York City, taking a taxi to the Empire State Building, looking at it, and then going back to the airport and leaving. There is only one VNP. It's awe inspiring and amazing, and it is worth the time to see and explore it properly and thoroughly.

beachchick

Thanks for the info, I am going to save it for our day there.

Archived