Tendering with a scooter

tlm

I have a Pride Go Go traveller which weighs 100 lbs.

The last two cruises we have done involved no tendering at the ports. Next January, we are doing the Mexican Riviera and there is a tender stop at Cabos san Lucas.

According to Royal Carribean's website, their tenders, as of November 2006, will be accessible.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/mobilityImpairment.do;jsessionid=0000DwAMtEHSVTgm67FvbjcWjms:10ktmeta1

Has anyone had experience, specifically with RCI, tendering with their scooter.

Thanks for your help

Toni

If you will be on the Vision of the Seas, it is pretty easy to tender. Just keep in mind that Cabo can be rough, and they will not allow you to tender ashore if they determine that it is not safe for scooter or wheelchair users. They use an elevator to get you down to the tender boarding platform.

Saying that, I would not recommend using a scooter ashore in Cabo. You won't find many curb cuts, no local accessible transportation, and many of the shops and restaruants have 1-2 steps to get into them. A manual wheelchair is much better for Mexican ports, tendered or not.

It depends on what you want to do, but a scooter is totally impractical in the Malacon or Old Town area of PV. Even for the shops along the pier, many have one step up or down for access. You will also have a hard time finding a cab that can take a scooter, esp. a large one.

Wow more sad news.. Splinter you have answered several of my questions in the past. I am so looking forward to coming to your city next friday.. I am saddened also to find out out about the mexican islands we are visiting that are not scooter accessible.. I guess I just pick the wrong cruises before I book.. On the last cruise I took on Princess,, I couldn't even get off the ship for Belize because the tenders were the kind you had to walk down steps to get too.. I can walk down steps without my scooter but I can't walk back up them so I had to stay on the ship and miss that island.. Sounds like I will be missing Cabo too.. As far as PV goes. I hope I can at least make it to the Krystal hotel for my massage on my scooter.. If taxis can't accomodate scooters, guess we are out of luck.. Maybe my husband can bring back a few souveniers.. I think I have learned my lesson.. The next cruise will be an all docked cruise with no tendering.. But then again who knows what islands are even scooter accessible.. I just wanted to thank you for all your help here on the boards.. Looking forward to my Holland America cruise next week.

Rhonda

Why don't you take a manual wheelchair with you? You can then easily transfer into cabs, and if your husband can help you bump up over a curb or two, or a step or two, or up and down the 40 degree "curb cuts" in PV, you can still see a lot. My mother uses a power wheelchair and when we go ashore in Mexico (docked or tendered) we always use the manual chair for this reason (the power chair stays on the ship).

HAL has a tender lift, but you cannot ride in a scooter on it (or a power chair). You have to use a manual wheelchair of no wider width than an 18" seat. It works pretty well if the sea is calm (which you can never tell ahead of time in Cabo).

Also, you won't be on any islands in Mexico on your cruise. Cabo is at the tip of the Baja peninsula, and PV and Mazatlan are on the Mexican mainland.

I went on Holland last October., to the Southern Carribean. I was able to either ride my scooter on the planks or walk down and they brought the scooter to me at the bottom of the gangway. At Half Moon Cay I walked down the steps, sideways, like a crab, and they were going to bring my scooter down. I told them no as i didn't expect to stay over there and was going to return with the tender which i did. I crabbed back up the steps as well. I just let the majority of the crowd go first. At least now i can say i was there...lol. It isn't easy but depends on how bad you want to do something. I for one paid the money to see so i went and saw.

Ihope you can figure out a way to see the things you wanted to go and see. I am leaving on the Star in March and yes, will take my scooter and tender it, or ride it off, carry it off. What ever works. Enjoy your cruise;)

Unfortunately, my DH cannot push me in a wheelchair as he has medical problems himself. It's one of the reasons I got a scooter.

I can walk, very slowly mind you as I am also on oxygen, but I always feel I'm holding everyone up. Also some days are worse than others, so I really need the scooter at times.

Perhaps we need to rethink our itinerary.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Toni

Hi Toni,

My husband uses a Go Go. We sailed on Celebrity Infinity. We tendered into Cabo with it. He can slowly walk up and down stairs as long as there are railings. The crew brought the scooter off and on the tender and onto the dock in Cabo. My husband and I walked around the dock area. If there is a curb, he can get off of the scooter and I can lift the front and then the rear of the scooter over the curb. People don't get upset with us because we are slow. Sometimes they even help. We just waited til the crowd thinned out. My husband just said that it was a bumpy ride because of the pavers that they used along the dock area. We didn't see alot in Cabo, but we were there and it was a beautiful day to be alive.

Don't get discouraged. I guess it all depends on if you can walk a little and your husband can lift the scooter a little.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Judy. I was thinking maybe it would be better to do an itinerary that we have done before and are familiar with. There is another couple that will be travelling with us and the wife will be possibly bringing or renting a scooter. So we have them to consider as well as they really haven't cruised before.

Toni

Toni I have used my auto go portable 93 lb scooter on many cruises.It collapses.We have cruised the Mexican Riviera. In P V you can get off the ship & shop at the shops by the ship .There are cut outs to get up to the shops.

Might I recommend speaking to or e-mailing RCCL's special needs dept.Phone RCCL & ask to speak with the special needs dept .We took a 14 night Hawaii R/T from San Diego Nov 2005 on Celebrity Infiniti .Here is what I did I asked if the tours I selected(buses) would accomodate my scooter. We took tours all over the islands & I even rented a car on Kauai & put the scooter in the trunk. This is a option for you to get out & see things off the ships. In Lahania they tender in & they placed my scooter on & off the tender.We took a bus tour there.

Tomorrow I have hip surgery for my hip replacement ,left hip.Still may need my scooter tho ;because I have bone on bone in my right hip as well.But, it doesn't hurt like the left one.Will need surgery there as well ;but, want some time in between.

Hope every thing works out for you:)

Archived