Making Cell phone calls from Mexico???

galvezhome

Hi, my parents are just about to leave in afew hours on Ectasy and when they get to Cozumel and Progresso they want to call from their cell phones. Last year I did this in cozumel when i asked a worker from a cruise line shopping around town he gave my i guess a area code or country code to dial with the number i was calling. But that was last year so i dont remeber, does anyone know how to dial from the cell to US, we have cingular if that makes a difference. Not worried too much about cost just want to be able to contact while in port. Thanks

Best bet is to call Cingular. I had to have t-mobile turn on some special thing on my phone so that I could make and recieve calls from the Bahamas.

I know you said you're not worried about cost, but it is probably worth asking. With t-mobile it cost us $2.99/minute, but only 35 cents for a text message. I told everyone to text me if they needed me.

Last April, we went on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera. I called Cingular and enabled roaming in Mexico. There was no monthly charge. I believe the per-minute rate was $1.99. If I had signed up for a $4.95 per month service, the per-minute rate would drop to $0.99.

In Mexico, I had to dial the country code for the US, which I believe is 01. This was a bit of a pain, because none of the numbers in my speed-dial list would work, because none of them had the country code, and most lacked an area code.

Call Cingular and ask them. They will give you the best information. Sometimes these things depend on which plan you are signed up for. What worked for me via Cingular may not work for you, if you have a different plan.

Archived