NCL credited my $1000 vouchers to someone else's card & won't give it back to me

Stillfloatin'

I just got off the phone with NCL. After 3 different supervisors, bottom line, my problem. They somehow took my 2 $500 vouchers with MY NAME on them and credited $227.53 to my card and another $772.47 to someone else's visa card. Now, I'm supposed to track that person down and get them to fax a release for NCL to take the money back. And worse, the attitude was just terrible. Pretty much defensive, too bad we made the mistake, we can't explain how it happened or why the weird distribution amounts, but it's your problem now if you want the money back.

I just left messages for all the people traveling in our group to see if any of them had a credit to their cards in this amount. I'm hoping that whatever nimrod at NCL made this error, at least attributed it to someone in our group. This is a new low for a notoriously horrible customer service reputation. Wish me luck in getting this fixed. :eek:

As bad as the lost money is, and it IS bad, it was made just so much worse by their complete lack of concern. I was amazed that they were not in the least apologetic. If even one person had said they were sorry, let's see how we can get this resolved, I would have felt better. The last supervisor flat out stated, "if you want your money, you'll have to do what we say." Which, unfortunately, is a herculean task. When I asked each person I spoke with why it's not THEIR responsibility to recover MY money that THEY gave to someone else, their response was always the same. They can't take back the money without the person's permission. I said, well you GAVE it to them without MY permission, so it's your problem, not mine. But they still refuse to credit it to me. Unbelievable.

Your post makes me even more sure that if it happened to me, I'd let Colin Veitch know that this happened.

IMO-and probably that of any sane person-they should automatically credit your account AND since it was their mistake, they should figure out how to get the money back from the account they put it in by mistake!!!

-Monte

Don’t be intimidated by NCL

If I was you and without hesitation, I would contact the Attorney General’s Office of your state for help…. You may not get him/her directly but, you can bet your (you know what) his/her office will get to the bottom of it!!....They love this type of consumer run around crap.

And don’t forget…their elected officials and should be protecting YOUR interest in matters like this….

Best of luck and hope you can bail out of this mess

Could you perhaps call Bank of America and see if they would be willing to help you straighten things out? They know that they sent you the certificates, and they would be able to find out that you didn't get credited. If they have the date the money was credited to your account, they could probably see who had the other amount credited to their account on the same day. I don't know what they would be able to do about it, but they may be able to help, especially if the other person has not received their statement yet showing the credit. And who knows, maybe the person who received the credit will notice the "gift" they received on their statement and call NCL or BoA to straighten it out.

Good luck to you, I understand your frustration.

Don’t be intimidated by NCL

If I was you and without hesitation, I would contact the Attorney General’s Office of your state for help…. You may not get him/her directly but, you can bet your (you know what) his/her office will get to the bottom of it!!....They love this type of consumer run around crap.

And don’t forget…their elected officials and should be protecting YOUR interest in matters like this….

Best of luck and hope you can bail out of this mess

Excellent suggestion. I'll give it a try. Also, thanks mrleo3 for posting Colin's email. I'm also going to go this route. Very frustrating.

You might consider using words like these in your email:

-- misappropriation of funds

--theft

--possible embezzling by an employee

--fraud

It's NCL's problem and they have to tidy it up. I would also get B of A involved, as it is their business partner that is screwing this up.

Could you perhaps call Bank of America and see if they would be willing to help you straighten things out? They know that they sent you the certificates, and they would be able to find out that you didn't get credited. If they have the date the money was credited to your account, they could probably see who had the other amount credited to their account on the same day. I don't know what they would be able to do about it, but they may be able to help, especially if the other person has not received their statement yet showing the credit. And who knows, maybe the person who received the credit will notice the "gift" they received on their statement and call NCL or BoA to straighten it out.

Good luck to you, I understand your frustration.

Thanks, this is another avenue for me to approach. It makes me a little nuts knowing that the folks at NCL can jack around my money and there are absolutely no consequences for their errors or attitudes. If I could just get a name I could blame and a throat I could choke! :eek:

--theft

--fraud

It's NCL's problem and they have to tidy it up. I would also get B of A involved, as it is their business partner that is screwing this up.

Fortunately, I'm in the process of writing the email now, so I'll be sure to use some of these terms. Thanks for your help.

I agree this is NCL's responsibility to correct not yours. They made the mistake let them fix it but before you call in the NG, the media and the AG try Colin Veitch first...he reads these boards occassionally....btw I would just tell him what happened no threast no invective no hyperbole....IMO

Is there a consumer advocate you could contact about this on any of your local TV news programs?

Good idea. Even better if a segment was run right after or before an NCL commercial. :D

By the way, I'm on hold right now with B of A who are seeing what they can do. And they are amazed that NCL will not properly credit me because it was their error. I'll keep you aprised.

Something similar happened to me last summer. NCL had credited part to me and the rest to my travel agent's "group" account, even though I wasn't part of the group.

I got the date of the NCL credit (from NCL) and give it to my TA so he could have their accounting check it out. It took a lot of time and frustration, but my TA refunded the "overpayment" when he verified that it had been credited to them by mistake.

--theft

--fraud

While it's obvious that mistakes have been made by NCL, it takes an extremely overworked imagination to think that any of the above terms yet apply! :eek: Unbased accusations could end up in a letter being taken less seriously that it should be.

I happen to agree 100% with smeyer and have found that often times, just giving the facts is a better way to go (at least to begin with ;) )

-Monte

How do they expect you to track down the other person? What information do you have about the other person? Their accounting dept. should have a record of who the credit was given to and they should be the ones to get the money back. I would call the accounting dept. at Norwegian and see what they can do. Did you book through a travel agent. If so, I would see what they can do about this. Hopefully, it wasn't sent back to the travel agency. Good luck with this.

One more point, Citibank once declared me as dead. It stopped all my credit cards and they wanted me to fix it. What finally happened(no threats) was I faxed them a copy of my drivers license and they took care of fixing everything. I never threatened them(and I am attorney), if I had I could have spent weeks rpairing something that was their problem but mine too. As I said email Colin tell him the problem and ask HIM to have someone fix it and let you know what is happening. I think his secretary name is Patty and its a good chance she will get back to you....

Just got off the phone with B of A who were astonished that NCL would not credit me. They confirmed they had mailed me the vouchers. Here's the funny part, even THEY don't have a phone contact to straighten this out. However, they do have an email contact, so they've emailed on my behalf. They said if I don't hear from NCL within a week, to contact them again. There's really nothing they can do except inform NCL that the money needs to be credited to me. What NCL does with that advice (and this is the scarey part) is up to NCL.

Ok, on to the Colin email. And I agree, the best approach, especially in the beginning, is to politely state the facts and ask what can be done about the situation. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I will keep you updated as to the final resolution.

I agree this is NCL's responsibility to correct not yours. They made the mistake let them fix it but before you call in the NG, the media and the AG try Colin Veitch first...he reads these boards occassionally....btw I would just tell him what happened no threast no invective no hyperbole....IMO

Excellent approach and it will work.

carlg your fine print approah would just turn it into a real mess. Keep in mind the rules state you must submitt the vouchers before or as part of final payment. They have in the past credited folks cards back but they could just as easily mail the vouchers back :eek:

A mess like this is perhaps the reason they want the voucher early.

" it is a shame that people cannot take the quiet, direct approach as a first step. We will respond accordingly." Colin Veitch 7/20/2005

" it is a shame that people cannot take the quiet, direct approach as a first step. We will respond accordingly." Colin Veitch 7/20/2005

Well, I've tried a quiet and direct (albeit frustrating) approach with NCL accounting. I've tried a polite (and more rewarding) approach with B of A. And now, I'm gonna take Colin up on his statement and see if a polite approach directed to his email will help. Gee, I'm even surprising myself with my calm attitude. Even though I'm firmly convinced someone in accounting was smoking crack when they split the $1000 into such weird amounts. :D

AnnieKiriazis, thanks for your excellent contact info. If my "quiet, direct" approach with Colin doesn't work, that will be my next step.

Also, candydane, I've contacted my TA and asked him to call NCL accounting (I could hear his groan from 300 miles away!) to see if he can try the approach you suggested.

I'm leaving no stone unturned in my quest to retrieve my money. It took me a dang year to earn those vouchers. And lesson learned (Shoreguy) about sending them in as early as possible. Unfortunately, it wasn't possible this time because I didn't qualify for the second voucher until 2 crummy weeks after my final. Oh well, that's how we all learn from each other on these boards.

Ok, I'm back to my letter to Colin. I will run it by my very reasoned, calm-headed, professional tech writer DH for a final edit before submitting. He'll reign in any excesses I might indulge in.

Archived