Group celebration cruise summer 2008

maryella

I am starting to research a celebration vacation for my daughters HS graduation next summer. From Villa rentals to Disney etc I think a cruise would be the best idea for our family of 12. I like the idea of NCL freesyle cruising and LOVE their garden villas but not crazy about their size (too big). We'll go anywhere but Alaska and Bermuds (been there).

I am looking for a similar concept (freestyle) with rooms that would connnect to hold 12. Would love a suite with a huge LR for eveyone to hang out and other bedrooms connected. I like an upscale cruise line but not one with thousands of people. And finally there will be 5 teen girls so a ship that caters to families is important. Is there anything like that out there? Thanks for any help!!:)

Take a look at the Presidential Suite on RCI's Freedom of the Seas or Liberty of the Seas.

The problem you are running into is this. You want an "upscale" cruise line. The upscale lines are Crystal, Seaborne, Regent, etc. Those will not suit the group of teens travelling with you.

With this diverse group, the mainstream lines like RCI, Princess, Carnival, NCL, etc will do. The Liberty of the Seas debuts in a few months and is a brand new ship.

To expand further on what Aquahound said...

It is possible to have a semi - "upscale experience" on Carnival or RCI if you book a larger suite. You do get extras when you book the more expensive cabins.

You can book spa appts, and purchase other "extras" as well, and still be cruising on a line that will be friendly to the teens. I wouldn't dream of taking my teen daughter on anything other than Carnival or RC right now. Definitely check out the suite cabins - they can be quite nice.

Thanks for the info. I have checked out the Presidential family suite on RCL and all I can say is WOW!!!!!

That is exactly what I am looking for. It looks like it will fit 12 people and the deck is unbelievable!! Thanks so much for the tip!!

Does RCL have the same experience like NCL where you can pick when and where you eat? I like that feature.

I also like NCL garden villas but with 3 bedrooms it says it can only accomodate 6 people with no other connecting cabins.

I see that RCL Liberty of the Seas will be debuting soon. Where do these 2 huge RCL ships ususally cruise during the summer?

I really like princess-now I have only stayed in a balcony room-but I understand there are connecting rooms and junior suites which you can look into.

I did not care for the RCI voyager class ships- they are much too crowded-but the Princess Grand class-seems to care for the crowds better and has personal choice dinning.

My 22 year old daughter actually liked the Caribbean Princess better then Mariner of the seas. she was disapointed in MOS that she could not rock climb on sea days because of the wind and had excursions already booked on port days-so she did not get to do that. She did enjoy iceskating on MOS though.

Princess also offers personal choice dinning and the food is MUCH nicer then RCI.

I suggest if you go with RCI-look at the radience class ships and not the 5000 passenger ships-even the voyager class was too crowded as I said.

Thanks for the info. I have checked out the Presidential family suite on RCL and all I can say is WOW!!!!!

That is exactly what I am looking for. It looks like it will fit 12 people and the deck is unbelievable!! Thanks so much for the tip!!

Does RCL have the same experience like NCL where you can pick when and where you eat? I like that feature.

I also like NCL garden villas but with 3 bedrooms it says it can only accomodate 6 people with no other connecting cabins.

I see that RCL Liberty of the Seas will be debuting soon. Where do these 2 huge RCL ships ususally cruise during the summer?

It is a very nice suite. I was one of the first to board the Freedom on my trip and was able to tour the room. You will not be disappointed.

Unlike NCL, RCI does not do "Freestyle" dining. The early and late seating are assigned times and tables. However, there are two specialty restaurants, Chops Grill (very good steaks), and Portofino. There is also the Windjammer, which is buffet style. In the Windjammer is Jade, a sushi and Asian cuisine.

With the Presidential suite, you also receive concierge service.

Archived