Two Zuiderdam questions

Moose Tracks

DH just surprised me with a 3/3/07 Zuiderdam cruise (a 50th BD gift). We were last on HAL and Zuiderdam in 2003. At that time the Rosario Strings were gone...replaced by the Champagne Strings in the Explorer's Lounge. Are there currently any violinists playing in any of the lounges? As well, when we last sailed HAL the casual dining in the evening was served buffet style in the Lido. Has this dining been replaced with casual table service in the Lido? Do you need a reservation?

Lynn

I can't answer your question about music, but no, you don't need a reservation to eat in the Lido. Breakfast and Lunch are buffet. I'm not sure how it works on the Zuiderdam, but normally you get your salad buffet style and the dinner you ordered is brought to your table. What a wonderful b'day present. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

We dined in the lido for most evenings on our Zuiderdam cruise. As stated above, you get your salad/appetizer etc. buffet style, and a waiter takes your entree order and within a few minutes, delivers it to your table. I have to say dinner in the lido was really enjoyable - nice and quiet, much more so than the dining room, and the food was usually quite good.

Hi Lynn,

We just got off the Zuiderdam on Saturday...had an absolutely wonderful time, so I know you will enjoy.

There was a string quartet (with a violinist) playing on board...I believe they played in the Explorer's lounge. For the life of me I can't remember their name. I saw them play once...as they played at the Mariner's party. They were very good and I'm sorry we didn't get another chance to see them.

As for the dining, we ate in the Vista dining room every night as the good was very good and we had wonderful table mates. So, sorry I can't give you any info on that.

Anyway, I hope you had a wonderful time on the Zuiderdam!

Colleen

Hi Lynn,

We just got off the Zuiderdam on Saturday...had an absolutely wonderful time, so I know you will enjoy.

There was a string quartet (with a violinist) playing on board...I believe they played in the Explorer's lounge. For the life of me I can't remember their name. I saw them play once...as they played at the Mariner's party. They were very good and I'm sorry we didn't get another chance to see them.

As for the dining, we ate in the Vista dining room every night as the food was very good and we had wonderful tablemates. So, sorry I can't give you any info on dining in the Lido restaurant. We did however eat lunch up there every day and really enjoyed that.

Colleen

Thanks all for your responses. We ate most of our dinners in the casual dining on Milliennium and loved the peace and quiet and gorgeous views so we will likely do the same on Zuiderdam. So glad to hear about the Arcadia Strings. I know where we'll be most evenings enjoying our liqueurs and the sweet sounds of the violins.

Happy cruising everyone.

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

As for the dining, we ate in the Vista dining room every night as the good was very good and we had wonderful table mates. So, sorry I can't give you any info on that.

Colleen

So wonderful to hear of someone just off the Zuiderdam! We sail 3/24/07 our first time with HAL and I have so many questions for someone, like yourself, just off the Zuiderdam. Since the OP asked the question of musicians can you tell me what other types of music can be found in the lounges? For instance, any "live" bands that play 60-70 and 80's rock? We are in our late 40's early 50's and that's the type of music we like to dance to. Doesn't look like HAL is much on anything other than classical.....?

any "live" bands that play 60-70 and 80's rock?

I don't know if it qualified as "rock" but C-wind played 60s and 70s music in the Ocean Bar and the dance floor was always occupied (not always full). They were great. I wish we had found them earlier. We had always hung out in the Crow's Nest, but it was a little too rough to be up top so we headed downstairs and found them.

The HAL cats (female lead and backing band) played a pretty wide assortment of music all over the place during the week. Usually in the Crow's Nest at the end of the evening, but they played the deck BBQ on Tortola night and a couple other Lido deck occasions.

Archived