New amputee first cruise

didis

My husband and I have been planning an Alaskan cruise to celebrate 30th anniversary (7/07) for a couple of years. We were suprised with a motorcycle accident and BK amputation a few months ago. Husband can use his new prosthetic for a limited amount of time with a cane but will need a roll in shower and room for his wheel chair for the second half of the day. Are there any particular cruise lines I should be partial toward for good HC service. My other concern is excursions. We are adventurous travelors but this will be a first time with the accesability issues. Any advise from seasoned disabled travelors is welcome.

we have been crusing with an AK amputation for almost 15 years now and have found the Radiance class ships of RCCL to be the most accessible both cabin wise and all of the ship. the accessible bathrooms are all large and have roll-in showers with fold down seats, lots of grab bars. no lips into the bathroom or out on to the balcony if you have one. and since you are going to Alaska, you should find not problems with accessibility ashore, because of mandatory ADA compliance. in Skagway, even the whitehorse and yukon railway trip has an accessible car with a lift, and of course we found cored curbs and ramps in all ports. another advantage to Radiance class ships in Alaska is the amount of glass - wonderful for sightseeing from on board and in the inland passage. my second choice would be Celebrity ships; the older HAL ships such as Statendam are not as accessible. If you choose RCCL, they have a special needs department which is very helpful - call their regular number and ask for special needs. they do have their own no. but i do not have it handy. we always travel with both a scooter and wheelchair because the scooter provides independence on board - not having to rely on another to push a manual wheelchair and hence adhere to another's schedule. you will have lots of fun planning; there is a wealth of info on these boards. suggest you also go to the Alaska board :)

Archived