Galaxy Holiday Cruise 12/22/06 - 01/02/07 Transportation to San Juan & Embarkation

Arubalisa

Galaxy Holiday Cruise 12/22/06 - 01/02/07 Transportation to San Juan & Embarkation

Transportation to San Juan --

Due to a sailing right before Christmas and anticipating being unable to obtain affordable airfare, the 10 of us were booked through "Celebrity Air" from our 3 respective home cities. All flights were on the same airline, Delta and were routed in each direction, through Delta's hub in Atlanta. This included 3 people who lived in Florida and departed from Fort Lauderdale only to have to fly north to go south. Weather up and down the entire eastern US was terribly rainy on the day we sailed and there were numerous flight delays. Luckily everyone in our party made their connection in Atlanta.

Arrival in San Juan was about 30 minutes to 40 minutes late. Celebrity representatives were waiting for our flight at the baggage claim. After claiming luggage it was outside to deposit it all at the luggage truck and then across the street to the waiting motor coach. Porters were readily available to assist people out to the awaiting trucks. With families traveling for 11 nights, believe me when I tell you there were tons of luggage EVERYWHERE. My brother with 2 teenage girls opted to pay the excess weight limit charge and limited them to one suitcase each. IMHO, in his case, a porter would have been less expensive. :rolleyes:

Embarkation --

Upon arrival at the terminal, everyone entered the terminal and were greeted with juice or water and, even if you had completed your paperwork and completed your online check-in, there was yet another form to fill out, this one for Tortola immigrations. So close yet so far and not aboard just yet.

Lines for check-in and security were not long if existent at all. Cruise line agents were efficient, pleasant and plentiful. It was at this time that my brother realized he had left his jacket, brand new and a Christmas present, on Celebrity's bus which transported us over from the airport. Needless to say, by the time he ran outside, that bus was long gone. Celebrity, to their credit said they would try to track it down and sure enough they did and the jacket was delivered to his cabin 2 days later in St. Martin!

Our daughter was issued an ID bracelet with her lifeboat muster station in the event there was an emergency and she was separated from us. Ship staff could then easily take her to where she was supposed to be. As a parent this was very reassuring.

The ship was due to sail at 8 pm and it was just before 4 pm. Eventually due to the heavy rain up and down the entire east coast of the US, the ship delayed departure as well as the muster drill. First stop was Tortola, being a quick hop from San Juan it was not a big deal. Upon boarding we were greeted by some of the ship's staff, offered juice or champagne and pointed in the direction of our cabins. Finally! We begin our voyage!

Sounds like you had a very eventful cruise. We have been debating booking a cruise over the holidays, and your very detailed review will surely help us make a decision. Thanks for posting such a complete ship board report!

petert

Hi Lisa:

Your review was very helpful to me as we will be sailing the Galaxy next month.

I have a couple of questions; if you don't mind. Upon arrival to the ship, is it docked down in town or the farther away pier? Also, on my roll call, there are conflicting reports as to formal nights. Since it is such a port intensive cruise, are there still 3 formal nights?

Last year I entirely planned my land vacation to Aruba from your valuable information, so I know you will have the answers to these questions too.

I'm glad for the most part that you and your family enjoyed your trip.

Sounds like you had a very eventful cruise. We have been debating booking a cruise over the holidays, and your very detailed review will surely help us make a decision. Thanks for posting such a complete ship board report!

petert

You are welcome!

I had typed up this list for our roll call way back in September...

My mother-in-law says "how could you possibly be away from home for Christmas?" Well I have news for you:

1. No fretting over cleaning the house for company over the holidays OR trying to remember where all the Christmas decorations are OR fighting with those darn Christmas lights.

2. No worry choosing a menu for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinner...Turkey or ham...turkey or ham? Everyone is sick of Turkey, Mom doesn't eat ham. Enough already!!!!! :eek:

3. No stress...just visits to the Spa. Big decisions though: what excursions, where to eat lunch, what to choose for dinner...

4. <<Insert your peeves here>>

5. Christmas Eve Dinner, Christmas Day dinner and this year for us, New Year's Eve dinner and New Year's Day dinner (always a big deal in our house for some reason)...

a. No dragging out the good china and tablecloths, where did we put the leaf for the dining room table anyway?

b. See #2 above, everyone can eat whatever and however much of what you want. Dd loves Celebrity's pizza and shrimp combo that our waiter had done for her :)

c.
MY FAVORITE
- NO cleanup, no clearing, no dirty dishes, no dirty pots, no dirty stove and oven...

d. The ability to sit down and actually enjoy a dinner with my family without worrying about all of the above.

e. <<Insert your peeves here>>
PRICELESS!
:D

Hi Lisa:

Your review was very helpful to me as we will be sailing the Galaxy next month.

I have a couple of questions; if you don't mind. Upon arrival to the ship, is it docked down in town or the farther away pier? Also, on my roll call, there are conflicting reports as to formal nights. Since it is such a port intensive cruise, are there still 3 formal nights?

Last year I entirely planned my land vacation to Aruba from your valuable information, so I know you will have the answers to these questions too.

I'm glad for the most part that you and your family enjoyed your trip.

The Galaxy departed from the Pan American Pier which is across the harbor from Old San Juan.

There were 3 formal nights and they were nights 4 (day at sea), 8 (day at sea) & 10.

Not sure how this affects your itinerary because our last formal night (night 10) we were actually in port (Aruba) until 7:30 p.m., BUT it was also New Year's Eve.

I hate to think you would be gypped of a 3rd formal night. Enjoy! :D

Were they working on the Galaxy's pool deck at all on your cruise? We are cruising Feb. 2 and hoping the deck will be completely finished by our cruise. The group that just got off her said the deck was only about 25% completed at the end of their trip.

Any info on when the pool deck will be done?

Were they working on the Galaxy's pool deck at all on your cruise? We are cruising Feb. 2 and hoping the deck will be completely finished by our cruise. The group that just got off her said the deck was only about 25% completed at the end of their trip.

Any info on when the pool deck will be done?

No there was no work being done to the pool deck at all. It would have been extremely difficult though since the deck was always "covered" in people. :) There was one day (at sea) there were no chaises available anywhere and a few others when they were far and few between. Thank you chair hogs.

I can't imagine how they can shut down half the pool deck during a cruise but the group that just got off said they only had about half the amount of lounge chairs availabe, only had access to about 1/2 the pool deck, lots of noise because of the work going on all day long, no food outside because it was to dusty, etc. They offered them one free glass of champagne for the inconvenience.

We really like to hang out by the pool, but since they only got 25% of the work done on their cruise there is one more 10 or 11 day cruise then us so I'm thinking they may only have half of it done when we board, oh well we will just go with the flow and enjoy our vacation no matter what!!

Archived