Cruising with a Gluten Allergy

KJHorton

I was recently diagnosed with a gluten allergy. My husband and I are cruise addicts and I am wondering how accommodating RCCL is?

I remember seeing on our on-line reservation a box about food allergies and was able to check gluten. I was wondering if they really pay attention to that and have a special menu/options ready and waiting for you? Or do you need to approach them first? In any event, I know I will need to do both but I'm just wondering how proactive they are.

Thanks for your input.

I was recently diagnosed with a gluten allergy. My husband and I are cruise addicts and I am wondering how accommodating RCCL is?

I remember seeing on our on-line reservation a box about food allergies and was able to check gluten. I was wondering if they really pay attention to that and have a special menu/options ready and waiting for you? Or do you need to approach them first? In any event, I know I will need to do both but I'm just wondering how proactive they are.

Thanks for your input.

I suggest that you contact the Special Needs department: 1-800-722-5472, ext. 34472

My son's girlfriend (who has Celiac Disease) and her family just returned from a lovely cruise aboard the Voyager of the Seas. She reports that they were extremely accommodating regarding her gluten-free diet. Every night there was a choice of two or three entrees that were mostly gluten-free, in addition to a special meal prepared just for her. Please give them a call ahead of time to confirm, but be assured that they are very conscientious about these kinds of things on Royal Caribbean. Have a good time!!!

I also travel with someone with celiac and posted the same question a month ago. I recieved some very positive responses from others who had cruised on RCI with this problem. First thing is to make sure they know of the problem:

"Send an email that includes the guests' names, reservation ID number, ship's name and voyage date to one of the addresses listed below.

Food allergies - foodallergies@rccl.com

Kosher meals - kosher@rccl.com

Indian-style vegetarian meals - Indianvegetarian@rccl.com

Gluten-free/celiac meals - glutenfree@rccl.com

Fax requests may be sent to 305-539-6018 Attn: Special Meals Request"

Then, when you get on board "check in" with the Matre'd to make sure the dining room has your information. Our experience (with Carnival) was that after the first day the head waiter reviewed the next nights menu with us and we could get almost anything gluten-free (including a flourless chocolate cake :>)). We had absolutely no problems on that cruise and everything I've read assures me that RCI will treat us just as well. And RCI bakes their own gluten free bread!

Happy sailing

Thanks for the information. It sounds great.

Has anyone had actual experience with RCCL? Can I make a request for a specific food or dessert? How will I ever go without ranger (coconut) cookies on a cruise?

I'm wondering how they work things in the Windjammer.

Thanks!

First of all, I am responding for the 3rd time and seem to "lose" my post mid message, so if this is a triplicate response I apologize!

My 2005 cruise on Radiance was amazing and is why I am cruising with RCCL again!

Each evening as we were finishing our meal, our waiter would bring to me the menu for the following evening. I would choose my entreee and the chef would prepare it for me the next evening sans gluten. (He just needed to know ahead of time) Some items couldn't be prepared GF but there were always plenty that could be. They were very aware of the need to keep things seperate/uncontaminated and I never had a reaction to anything I ate !! The waiter would also know ahead of time what appetizers/soups/desserts were safe.

As I am sure you know Celiac / Gluten Intolerence is nothing new in many European countries and when traveling I have found it to be less of an issue than here in the United States!

First of all, I am responding for the 3rd time and seem to "lose" my post mid message, so if this is a triplicate response I apologize!

My 2005 cruise on Radiance was amazing and is why I am cruising with RCCL again!

My TA did inform the cruise line when we booked that I had a gluten issue and our first night in the dining room our waiter acknowledged this. The head waiter actually made a visit to our table and assured me as well this would be no problem.

Each evening as we were finishing our meal, our waiter would bring to me the menu for the following evening. I would choose my entreee and the chef would prepare it for me the next evening sans gluten. (He just needed to know ahead of time) Some items couldn't be prepared GF but there were always plenty that could be. They were very aware of the need to keep things seperate/uncontaminated and I never had a reaction to anything I ate !! The waiter would also know ahead of time what appetizers/soups/desserts were safe.

As I am sure you know Celiac / Gluten Intolerence is nothing new in many European countries and when traveling I have found it to be less of an issue than here in the United States! On the last evening I did give the chef a handwritten thank you and a tip. I know it is not the norm to tip the chef but I couldn't leave his extra effort unnoticed!!

I hope you enjoy your cruise !

PS Have you tried the new Gluten Free beer...Redbridge by the Budwieser folks ??!! AMAZING !!!

I see my message has posted several times and only in part :confused:

I had trouble at the windjammer finding someone who knew what gluten was, most answers were vague and usually ended with "the salad is safe" ;)

I didn't try the specialty restaurants but will this trip. I am also bringing my own pasta as I have heard they will boil up some water and are aware of the need to strain seperately !!

Enjoy !!!

I had trouble at the windjammer finding someone who knew what gluten was, most answers were vague and usually ended with "the salad is safe" ;)

I didn't try the specialty restaurants but will this trip. I am also bringing my own pasta as I have heard they will boil up some water and are aware of the need to strain seperately !!

Enjoy !!!

Enjoy !!!

MUST BE MY COMPUTER !!!!!!!!!

Archived