Help a NCL (Pearl) "newbie", please...

tjatczak

First NCL cruise aboard the Pearl on June 3. Been so busy researching Alaska, that I have not paid attention to the ship. Can someone please take a minute to list the dining options onboard the Pearl? Details would be appreciated, such as type of food, extra cost, including the standard dining rooms. Would love to have all of this information in one place that I could copy and print for reference.

I understand that our 'specialty' reservations need to be made as soon after boarding as possible, correct? Do we get any special service on this since we are in a mini-suite?

Thanks for all the help!:)

Ted

You will have a concierge for your mini-suite so she can make the reservations for you. She will be very busy that first day with everyone trying to get in. I may not be the best person to comment on the food/dinning since I was not impressed. I beleive that the main dinning rooms should be cruise cuisine- better than land dinning. The Pearl has beautiful main dinning rooms (loved Summer Palace) but the food is nothing to write home about. You have to pay to have a great meal- NCL lost the whole cruise concept with food- amazing food, all you want, all included. We missed shows since in the cover charge dinning rooms it takes much longer to eat (3 hour meals). I did find out at the end of the trip that if you want anything from the cover charge dinning rooms let them know in Summer Palace and the next night they will have it. Main dinning rooms are empty since everyone is crammed in trying to get a great meal and paying the cover.

Ted-

Teppanyaki (cook in front of you steak, shrimp, chicken) - $20pp

Shabu-Shabu (Mongolian hotpot)- $12.50

Lotus Garden (Asian fusion) - $10

Sushi (all you can eat) - $12.50

Le Bistro (French) - $15(Special tasting menu for 2 avail. for 20pp)

Cagney's (Steakhouse) - $20 (Whole lobster & 24 oz porterhouse avail. for slightly higher charge, I think 25pp)

No charge specialties:

La Cucina (Ital.)

Mambo's (Tex-Mex)

I have been on 4 recent NCL cruises, and food in Main Dining rooms is excellent. Bistro and Lotus Garden are excellent too and well worth the extra.

Food is a personal thing. While Alisa has been on the ship and I won't go until 3/2, I can't say she is wrong. But judging by many other reviews and my personal experience on NCL, it will make any West Virginian happy.

I'll give you the skinny, when I get back.

CHOCOBANAWAD 12<--------------- Johnny W.

if it makes you more comfortable or you have a big event planned, make your speciality reservation soon. we just go "with the flow", main dining rooms (on the star) were great and we got right in.

cagney's is a steakhouse (reservations, surcharges)..they have one price for the regular side of the menu ...sirlon steaks and such. another price for things like their porterhouse, lobster (whole main lobsters..different from what you get in the main dining on lobster night), surf & turf. you can order all the apps, salads and desserts you want at no extra charge.

check the dailies to see if they are offering 1/2 price for early birds. we got reservations for cagney's for 1/2 with a party of 7 the day before on the star.

didn't eat at le bistro, looked into the room on the star, nice room. it's listed as french. we had such great meals in the main dining..the speciality were not worth it for us.

blue lagoon is a life saver in alaska, hot chili when you come in from port.

the wings and cheeseburgers are great also, hot, fresh fries. they are a little "cafe" style with sit down service. small area with a small menu..but really popular. you can find hot coffee, pound cake and cookies there all the time. they have hot chocolate packet or tea if you don't drink coffee (we don't)

if you are with a large party, they will wait until everyone at the table has finished that course before bring the next course. so if you have a slow eater, service will be slower. if you want to catch a show, you have come back for dessert and coffee after the show. (another plus to freestyling).

for fine dining expect 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hours.

we did the star on the same route you will be taking, you will love it.

glacier bay was a big surprise..i was not prepare for the beauty of it all.

are service on the star was excellent, dining was a great pleasure..my DH was (at one time) a matre 'd at a 5 star restaurants..he knows good service.

Restaurants on the Pearl:

Summer Palace (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Continental

Dress Code: No shorts or jeans after 6:00 p.m. in the dining rooms.

Surcharge: No

Reservations Required: No

Hours

Breakfast: 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.

Lunch: 12:00 noon – 2:30 p.m.

Dinner: 5:30 p.m. – 12:00 a.m.

Indigo (Main Dining Room)

Hours

Breakfast: 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.

Lunch: 12:00 noon – 2:30 p.m.

Dinner: 5:30 p.m. – 12:00 a.m.

Le Bistro French Restaurant

Cuisine: French

Surcharge: Yes, $15 per person

Hours

Check onboard

Cagney's Steakhouse

Cuisine: Steakhouse

Surcharge: Yes, $20 per person

Hours

Check onboard

La Cucina Italian

Cuisine: Italian

Hours

Check onboard

Lotus Garden Asian Restaurant

Cuisine: Asian

Hours

Check onboard

Mambos Latin/Tapas Restaurant

Cuisine: Latin/Tapas

Hours

Check onboard

Garden Cafe

Hours

Check onboard

The Great Outdoors

Cuisine: Buffet

Hours

Check onboard

Blue Lagoon

Cuisine: Snacks

Dress Code: Casual

Hours

Check onboard

Being in a mini-suite you can have the conceirge book your speciality restaurant reservations.

We missed shows since in the cover charge dinning rooms it takes much longer to eat (3 hour meals).

We never missed a show on the Pearl and were in the specialty restaurants more nights than not. You just need to plan and let your server know. I think the food on the Pearl was excellent in the main dining room and even better in the specialty restaurants. NCL really upped their game this year as far as food is concerned. I had no complaints last year on the Dawn, but I could see the improvements made and it made a big difference. On the Dawn, Cagneys was definitely our favorite, but this year every meal was so good, I could not say I preferred one restaurant over another. Just my 2 cents. One addition to the info you already have about the Pearl restaurants, in Lotus Garden, if you want to eat at Shabu Shabu, which is part of Lotus, you will probably need a reservation. This was a Mongolian Hot Pot meal which requires a special table with a hot plate built into the center. It was a lot of fun for our entire family. Have fun!!

Am I wrong:confused: I thought Mambos and LaCucina were no surcharge restaurants??

You are right, there is no surcharge for those 2 restaurants. That summary that Don listed is not really accurate, I dont think he got that off of the NCL website. THose two are free. Lotus is $12.50, Sushi Bar is $12.50, Teppanakis (sp) (Benihana style, part of Lotus) is $20,

On the 1/14 sailing, my wife and I ate in 5 different restaurants...

La Cucina - excellent food and service

Cagneys - excellent food, lousy service

Summer Palace - a beautiful restaurant, good food and service

Mambo's - 5* service and a great meal (have the Il Popo!)

LeBistro - another great meal, service was pleasant but slow.

First NCL cruise aboard the Pearl on June 3. Been so busy researching Alaska, that I have not paid attention to the ship. Can someone please take a minute to list the dining options onboard the Pearl? Details would be appreciated, such as type of food, extra cost, including the standard dining rooms. Would love to have all of this information in one place that I could copy and print for reference.

I understand that our 'specialty' reservations need to be made as soon after boarding as possible, correct? Do we get any special service on this since we are in a mini-suite?

Thanks for all the help!:)

Ted

The dining times vary day to day on the Alaskan cruise depending on port arrival and departure times. Hope this list helps.

NORWEGIAN PEARL RESTAURANTS

Summer Palace Main Dining Room – Deck 6 (Seats 558)

The Summer Palace is the larger of the two main restaurants offering a traditional dining experience. Its ornate decor was inspired by the grandeur of the palaces of St. Petersburg, Russia. It has high ceilings and large windows across the rear.

Indigo Main Dining Room - Deck 6 (Seats 304)

The Indigo is the smaller of the two main restaurants. Indigo is a modern dining room featuring a lighter, more contemporary menu and is decorated in bright blue, purple, and orange and looks much like a boutique hotel restaurant. As this restaurant is connected directly to the main galley, prompt and smooth serving of the food is ensured.

Le Bistro French Restaurant - Deck 6 (Seats 129)

Le Bistro is a French restaurant offering a menu of modern and classic gourmet fare with a $10 pp cover charge, reservations required.

Blue Lagoon Restaurant – Deck 8 (Seats 94)

Located on deck 8 over the atrium, is a 24-hour food court-style eatery featuring burgers, fish and chips, chili and other fast foods.

Cagney's Steakhouse Restaurant – Deck 13 (Seats 176)

Cagney's is an upscale traditional steakhouse of the 1930’s with a $15 pp cover charge and reservations required. They serve steak, lobster, lamb, veal, and other grilled foods.

Garden Café – Deck 12 (Seats 390)

The Garden Cafe has replaced the traditional buffet restaurant with an "action-station" concept, where guests can watch the food being prepared. It has a special "kid's only" section, with lower counters and smaller tables and chairs seating 52.

Great Outdoors – Deck 12 (Seats 259)

The Great Outdoors is on deck 12 aft and connects with the Garden Cafe.

La Cucina Italian Restaurant – Deck 12 (Seats 96)

Casual Italian restaurant with a farmhouse-style atmosphere serving pasta, pizza and other traditional fare. No charge but reservations needed.

Mambo's Latin/Tapas Restaurant – Deck 8 (Seats 96)

Serves modern Mexican, Tex-Mex and tapas. No charge but reservations needed.

Lotus Garden Asian Restaurant – Deck 7 (Seats 162)

Lotus Garden serves Japanese, Chinese, and Thai cuisine. $10 pp cover charge.

Sushi Bar serves sushi, sashimi, and Shabu-Shabu. $12.50 pp cover charge.

Teppanyaki is a traditional Japanese grill where the chefs are entertaining and the food is grilled on an iron plate. $20 pp cover charge.

Reservations required.

You will have a concierge for your mini-suite so she can make the reservations for you. She will be very busy that first day with everyone trying to get in. I may not be the best person to comment on the food/dinning since I was not impressed. I beleive that the main dinning rooms should be cruise cuisine- better than land dinning. The Pearl has beautiful main dinning rooms (loved Summer Palace) but the food is nothing to write home about. You have to pay to have a great meal- NCL lost the whole cruise concept with food- amazing food, all you want, all included. We missed shows since in the cover charge dinning rooms it takes much longer to eat (3 hour meals). I did find out at the end of the trip that if you want anything from the cover charge dinning rooms let them know in Summer Palace and the next night they will have it. Main dinning rooms are empty since everyone is crammed in trying to get a great meal and paying the cover.

I'm so sorry you felt that way. I thought the food was excellent, as nice in the main restaurants as in the specialty restaurants. The only difference is the menu choice and atmosphere.

Ted-

I have been on 4 recent NCL cruises, and food in Main Dining rooms is excellent. Bistro and Lotus Garden are excellent too and well worth the extra.

Food is a personal thing. While Alisa has been on the ship and I won't go until 3/2, I can't say she is wrong. But judging by many other reviews and my personal experience on NCL, it will make any West Virginian happy.

I'll give you the skinny, when I get back.

CHOCOBANAWAD 12<--------------- Johnny W.

I agree. I WAS on the Pearl, and all dining venues were excellent. In fact, I liked the main restaurants better than Cagney's.

Jana

Archived