Can someone explain this pricing issue to me?

cruzegirl

I am a past Princess cruiser and have a question....

I'm on the Princess site looking at general info. for a cruise in Tahiti in 2008.. When I go to check pricing with a random date chosen as this cruise is in infancy decision wise, it gives me the selection of 2 passengers. I see a brochure base price of say $1995 for a balcony. The info. included says "you can only book one booking at a time. The booking is for one room up to 4 people". But if you enter 3 people, the brochure base price goes up by $100.. Why is this?? I'm not talking about the page that explains the 1st/2nd person fare and then the fare info. for 3rd or 4th.. It's on the initial page where the brochure base price is.... I don't get it.......:confused:

Just gave it a try to see what you were talking about. Yep, it sure does change the base price when you try to go from 2 passengers to 3 or 4?????? No idea why, maybe something new with Princess? Change number 5,422 as to booking rates? Just kidding, I honestly have no idea whatsoever why it would do that.

I am a past Princess cruiser and have a question....

I'm on the Princess site looking at general info. for a cruise in Tahiti in 2008.. When I go to check pricing with a random date chosen as this cruise is in infancy decision wise, it gives me the selection of 2 passengers. I see a brochure base price of say $1995 for a balcony. The info. included says "you can only book one booking at a time. The booking is for one room up to 4 people". But if you enter 3 people, the brochure base price goes up by $100.. Why is this?? I'm not talking about the page that explains the 1st/2nd person fare and then the fare info. for 3rd or 4th.. It's on the initial page where the brochure base price is.... I don't get it.......:confused:

The price is still based upon double occupancy, but when you change to a request for 3 people it disqualifies the use of (less expensive) cabins that cannot hold 3 people. That is why you see not only a change in the price, but you will also likely see less options (oceanview, balcony, minisuite, etc..) available, as cabins that can accomodate 3 and 4 people sell out faster. I hope this clears up the confusion.

"Just gave it a try to see what you were talking about. Yep, it sure does change the base price when you try to go from 2 passengers to 3 or 4?????? No idea why, maybe something new with Princess? Change number 5,422 as to booking rates? Just kidding, I honestly have no idea whatsoever why it would do that."

I don't get it either. And I noticed when re-checking it that it doesn't happen to the regular balcony but to the mini-suite... Wierd

"3rd and 4th rates are pretty close to the 1st and 2nd rates anymore. Gone are the days of 3rd and 4th paying the $199, $299, $399 type fares etc. :)"There are still some lower rates for the 3rd/4th passenger. But this cruise is you do balcony, the 3rd rate is $900.. But for the mini suite it's $1297.00....

"You are absolutely right - the price you are seeing is the base fare for 3 people, but the text is not changing to reflect the selected occupancy."But why does the base fare change from selected 2 passengers to 3 passengers?? I know there are other port charges & fare rate when it's over 2 people but should not change the base rate the first 2 passengers are paying....And it's only for the Mini Suite... Strange.

But thanks everyone for trying to give some insight... I'll contact Princess.... Heck, I live around the corner from the Corporate Office....lol......

3rd and 4th rates are pretty close to the 1st and 2nd rates anymore. Gone are the days of 3rd and 4th paying the $199, $299, $399 type fares etc. :)

On Princess this is true but there are still some cruise lines that list low prices for third and fourth passengers in a cabin.

3rd and 4th rates are pretty close to the 1st and 2nd rates anymore. Gone are the days of 3rd and 4th paying the $199, $299, $399 type fares etc. :)

I love to travel with two very good friends and we can always get a great suite because the third person is significantly less. We have a 19 day Panama/Mexican Riviera Cruise in April 08 in a full suite for 5000.00ish for the first two and 1000.00ish for the third. When you split it three ways its not a bad deal.

I love to travel with two very good friends and we can always get a great suite because the third person is significantly less. We have a 19 day Panama/Mexican Riviera Cruise in April 08 in a full suite for 5000.00ish for the first two and 1000.00ish for the third. When you split it three ways its not a bad deal.

Most people don't book a cabin to share with their friends... and most people can't afford to book suites.

That is why you see Princess wheel and deal more with the suites as there is more margin to bargain with. :rolleyes:

"It looks like I was editing my response as you were typing your response to it. I did research and found what was happening. Please re-read my post and let me know if it makes sense to you."

Puzzled,

Yes, that makes sense now...it's just like the difference in price of interior or O.V. or balconies. They are different prices when in different locations.....Thanks.....

Archived