Norwegian Sea for the handicap

Gramsk

Just returned 7/24/04 on the Norwegian Sea. Our handicap cabin #4112 was easy to get in and around with an electric wheelchair, bathroom also was accomodating for the wheelchair, bathroom has shower chair and hand held shower.

I would suggest bringing something to put toiletries in since there is no shelf space in the bathroom, a hanging shoe bag works real well. There is good closet space and closets with shelves, only two small drawers in the vanity.

Cabin was pretty plain, two beds, a table and one chair and small TV.

Getting around the ship was good, no access to deck 10 except for speciality restaurants. All restaurants were very accomodating for the wheelchair. Deck 9 staff were very helpful, they took excellant care of my husband. Both Stardust and Cabiret lounge were also accomodating for the wheelchair.

In Cozumel, we docked and we contacted Josue Trejo, Taxi #394, he has a wheelchair lift. Very nice man, contact him by e-mail taxi394@hotmail.com, Taxi-394@yahoo.com or telephone 987-564-0l37. We just waited until we got to Cozumel and contacted him through the taxi stand.

In Roatan we docked and hired Victor Brodden's brother Ben for a tour, we went with the collasible wheelchair and took a tour of the island. It was really wonderful, Ben was informative and funny and very helpful.

In Belize City my husband didn't go, we tendered and it was a 15 minute tender ride and the water was choppy. My husband has back problems and it would have been painful for him to ride the tender. The rest of us took the Tale of Two Cities tour. A great tour but the road to the ruins was rough and the ruins would have been hard to negotiate.

At Cancun we tendered for twenty minutes to get to shore, the tender was very big and smooth riding. My husband didn't go, we were afraid the water would be rough as in Belize. So he could have gone with the collasible wheelchair. We went on the Nautibus, glassbottom boat tour. We were met at the pier and the tour was fantasic, but to get to the viewing area the steps were tricky.

By the way the food was okay nothing great, entertainment okay nothing great except for the comedian and comedian/juggler they were great. Lobster was terrible.

Hope this helps, we still had a great time and so did my husband. I don't believe you can go wrong on a cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just noticed that you took the tale of two cities tour in Belize. I was wondering if you would mind sharing some info about the tour. We are considering taking the tour as it sounds interesting, however some members of our group can not walk great distances. I know much of the tour is on a bus except for when you are at Althun Ha, do you have to stay with the guide at Althun Ha, or do you just go on your own ??? If you did not want to take the walking tour at Althun Ha, is there just a place to sit and wait for the tour to return, or a gift shop, or something ??? DO the buses arrive and leave from the same location or is it a get off one place and walk to another place and get back on the bus.

Thanks in advance for any information that you can provide

Ron

Archived