Optional Formal Night - is there or isnt there?

dubi1015

If she likes to dress up, then by all means do so. What difference does it make whether the ship labels a night "optional formal night" or not? EVERY night is an optional formal night. Freestyle is all about choices. If you choose to dress up, more power to you. On my last few Freestyle cruises, I saw plenty of pax dressed up on most nights, not just on the so-called optional formal night.

I agree, whether there is a formal night or not I will definitely be dressing up every night. I never did wear long gowns anyway. I have always worn really nice cocktail-type dresses for formal night. The DH wears a suit. I have never felt out of place dressing up when I've wanted to.:D

If anything this change to not declaring a night as Optional Formal Night is actually much more in line with the Freestyle Concept. Now YOU can choose which night, if any, you want to dress up. I'm sure many people who like to dress up felt obligated to do so on the old listed "Optional" night. Now they can truly do it WHEN they want!!!

According to NCL today, Yes there are still optional formal nights. I think the whole, "they did away with them thing" is wishful thinking on someones part or pure misunderstanding .

But as it says it is OPTIONAL and yes you can dress up to the hilt every night if you wish.

Since the start of the year NCL has officially dropped optional formal nights. However, nothing is keeping you from dressing up to the nines on sea days, or any day. What can be freer? You choose when to dress up! Or not!

I wish this topic would end, but NCL has not dropped the "Optional Dress Up Nights", I don't know where that bit of information comes from, lets try to put forth truth not rumors. This was posted by cc member foursum on the 5 day western caribbean. The below link is the "Freestyle Daily" dated 1/15/2007 indicating an "Dress Up Or Not Night"

Originally Posted by SparCat

1-14 Pearl Dailies

http://ncl-pearl.blogspot.com/

Direct Link

http://bp1.blogger.com/_5XLl94mRYqg/RbV5PLe2lgI/AAAAAAAAAA8/bRjJjNrfiog/s1600-h/1-15-Pg1.jpg

This is my 1st freestyle cruise, do men wear shorts in the buffet and can men wear jeans in the specialty dinning roomicon5.gif

Jean in the dining rooms (excluding buffet) for dinner are allowed ONLY on cruises that depart from Houston TX, due to the prevalence of Jeans in the Texas Culture. If you do wear you jeans, please be considerate of the other guests, and wear only jeans in good repair.

Shorts can be worn in the buffet areas on all ships.

This is my 1st freestyle cruise, do men wear shorts in the buffet and can men wear jeans in the specialty dinning roomicon5.gif

The quote below is taken from the NCL website. It contains the answers to your questions.

Freestyle Cruising gives our guests the freedom to dress as they please. Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. However, NCL/ NCLA does not allow any blue jeans, t-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of our fine dining restaurants for dinner, including all main restaurants, alternative restaurants, and cover charge venues.

Guests are allowed to wear blue jeans, shorts and t-shirts, in the evenings at the buffets, outdoor barbeques, and 24-hour venues, such as the Blue Lagoon, the Cadillac diner, etc.

Below are a few exceptions to the dining room dress code:

Blue Jeans will be allowed in all dining rooms on all Houston departures, due to the Texas culture.

Blue Jeans will be allowed in the Trattoria's in the evenings.

Bermuda shorts with knee high socks, or Scottish kilts with knee highs will also be allowed in all dining rooms in Bermuda as these are considered formal dress in Bermuda.

Hawaiian shirts are allowed with proper slacks in all dining rooms.

Ladies Capri Pants, which are a length between the knee and ankles, are acceptable in all fine dining rooms as long as they are not blue jean capris.

Cruisin&Relaxin:

Where did you find the info about jeans on the NCL site? In my hard-copy documents (the "Welcome Aboard" booklet), and on the NCL site just now, I found the following:

"We do not allow T-shirts, shorts, cutoffs, tank tops,

bare feet, etc., in any of the restaurants at dinner.

However, T-shirts and shorts are permitted in buffets,

trattorias, outdoor barbecues and all 24-hour venues.

For those who do love to dress to the nines and get

that annual formal portrait done, there are optional

formal evenings in at least one of the main restaurants

on every cruise. This means black tie or dark suit

for gentlemen and evening gown or cocktail dress

for ladies. But remember, on formal evenings, you

can always choose to dine in one of the alternate

restaurants and enjoy some of the other lounges and

leave your dressier clothes at home."

When we got our docs, I was very surprised to see that jeans weren't mentioned at all. I'd love to know where you found it.

I printed the Welcome Aboard booklet off of the NCL website today. Under the heading "What should I pack?" they have removed the no jeans section.

The old Welcome Aboard booklet said no jeans were allowed at night in the dining rooms except for Houston departures.

NCL has not dropped the "Optional Dress Up Nights", I don't know where that bit of information comes from. This was posted by cc member foursum on the 5 day western caribbean. The below link is the "Freestyle Daily" dated 1/15/2007 indicating an "Dress Up Or Not Night"

1-14 Pearl Dailies

Direct Link

http://bp1.blogger.com/_5XLl94mRYqg/...h/1-15-Pg1.jpg

I have been reading different things on the boards. Does anyone know if there is still an optional formal night on the NCL Dream? My girlfriend likes to dress up:D

At the present time I suggest you contact NCL directly as it appears certain people are pushing their own agenda on this issue. :) :)

I wish this topic would end, but NCL has not dropped the "Optional Dress Up Nights", I don't know where that bit of information comes from, lets try to put forth truth not rumors. This was posted by cc member foursum on the 5 day western caribbean. The below link is the "Freestyle Daily" dated 1/15/2007 indicating an "Dress Up Or Not Night"

1-14 Pearl Dailies

Direct Link

http://bp1.blogger.com/_5XLl94mRYqg/RbV5PLe2lgI/AAAAAAAAAA8/bRjJjNrfiog/s1600-h/1-15-Pg1.jpg

RSWBADGER I agree about the topic going away but not you!

Your factual information is like a breath of good sea air. :) :)

For those who do love to dress to the nines and get

that annual formal portrait done, there are optional

formal evenings in at least one of the main restaurants

on every cruise. This means black tie or dark suit

for gentlemen and evening gown or cocktail dress

for ladies.

I've taken five NCL cruises over the past five years and NEVER seen a restaurant designated as formal only.

I just found the discrepancy! Imagine that! The info about "no jeans," which definitely conflicts with the info in the new booklet, is under the FAQs section.

The FAQs are where I obtained my quoted info from. NCL isn't helping to clear up the confusion by scattering multiple versions of their dress code across their website. I can appreciate the confusion that exists. The quality control on the website continues to disappoint me.

Where is formal in dress up or not?

Formal for men means a tux or dinner jacket.

Semi formal for men means a suite or sports jacket.

Dress up or not, is not a term recognized throughout the world.

Back during the early 1950s a man wasn't considered a gentleman iunless he wore a hat.

And a woman wasn't considered a lady unless she wore a hat.

The first President of the United States that didn't wear a hat was JFK. Times are changing fast.

I've taken five NCL cruises over the past five years and NEVER seen a restaurant designated as formal only.

On the Sun in December '04 one of the main dining rooms was designated "formal" on the optional formal night. It had a sign stating that a jacket and tie were required.

On my first 2 sailings on the Sea, they had designated formal dining rooms.. On the Dream last Oct. I asked if there was a formal dining room, and was told no, but that they did try to seat the ones dressed formal in the same area.. On optional formal night, lots were dressed formal so the OP will not feel out of place if they dress up for the evening..

Archived