Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

I can now reveal that the "new" Orient Lines first ship is rumored to be MAXIM GORKIY.

I'm glad to hear that the Maxim Gorkiy is rumoured to be the "new" Orient cruise ship. She will be 40 years old next year, but that should be no excuse to send her to Alang.

Donald.

I was rather surprised to hear this, as she has steam turbines and I also believe she will require a significant amount of work to bring her into compliance with SOLAS standards in the near future.

However, I am very happy about it - she does look like a delightful ship. A group of friends are sailing in her in September and I would have liked to have gone but the timing didn't work. I was afraid she would be sold for scrap after her retirement from Phoenix Reisen in November so I'm glad she appears to be getting a new lease on life. If the on-board product is as good as the "old" Orient Lines I may have found my new favorite ship!

Maxim Gorkiy is on lease until November. I gather that it will have some changes done after that date. When can we reasonably expect to hear from the New Orient Lines regarding ships and itineraries?

Having been in touch with other former pax, we are thinking of doing a reunion cruise, a very small reunion but any excuse to get the old gang together.

Fran

I would think the "new" Orient Lines would begin operations sometime in 2009, but I don't know when. I guess spring at the earliest.

I don't know just how much work is planned for MAXIM GORKIY (assuming, of course, that Orient Lines succeeds in acquiring her). She could enter service for Orient Lines with almost no work at all (as MARCO POLO has for Transocean), but I doubt it.

Nothing can compare with beautiful memories. It never seems to stand up to it. This will be another ship with a new relationship. If I am dreaming, please don't awaken me.

I feel the same way about some ports and some places. My one day in Alaska out of Seward can never be equaled, and my 3 days in Greymouth New Zealand with a 6.2 earthquake and the marvy discovery of the Pancake Rocks' seven different blowholes where a tropical forest comes right down to the cliffs at water's edge - the memories are so flawless why try to repeat them? Sometimes the stars align and a dream is created.

I'm still laughing about Obesity OTS and the other suggestions. Y'all are sooo bad! My name for Oasis would be The Regrettable.

Ruby

Love the new names. I last saw Maxim Gorky in hamburg last December where she was in for refit, and before that at the North Cape in 1978 on my Spitzbergen cruise (pictured below). Nice to know the old ships can still be used.

Today I booked another cruise...YESSSS!.... but have to admit it is on QM2, which is far too big for my liking. Trouble is with QE2 going, she will the only ship left sailing to and from the USA and I cannot wait to go back to New York and Boston, in fact I will be in Boston for 4th July next year.

464455857_135VistafjordMaksimGorkyatSkarsvag.jpg.13213b1fa84200a779e9d41601ef6611.jpg

Ships cat - the Maxim Gorkiy's unusual funnel certainly made her stand out from the other ships. I really admire her sleek ocean liner hull.

Donald.

It still does Donald. I knew immediately which ship it was in Hamburg, long before we reached her, although I have to admit to being surprised she was still sailing as I hadn't kept up with her history.

I've been reading over on the HAL board about Eurodam. What I noticed most was that cabanas were installed along the side windows on both sides of the main pool, as well as other cabanas placed along the railings on three sides of an upper deck. Naturally, these cabanas will be rental.

That, in a nutshell, is the future of the cruise industry. Less open deck space from where to enjoy the sea, and paying for the privilege! Did these designers have actually sailed on cruise ships?

Donald.

Ruby,

I am so glad that you made your reservation for Antarctica. It is an incredible experience to be up close to the penguins and seals especially for someone who lives in a warm climate.

Please feel free to ask any questions about my cruise to Antarctica. I know that packing will not be as great a problem as it was for me. I cruised to the Falklands and up the East coast of South America and 1000 miles up the Amazon River on the same cruise. Try packing for that one.

Fran

Please feel free to ask any questions about my cruise to Antarctica. I know that packing will not be as great a problem as it was for me. I cruised to the Falklands and up the East coast of South America and 1000 miles up the Amazon River on the same cruise. Try packing for that one. Fran

I have several questions and am thrilled to hear that you have done that tour. Where you on Marco Polo? Was there anything you didn't get to see that was a disappointment? Was the itinerary set in stone or did the ship do "off the books" exploring? By any chance did your ship "park" in solid ice and let the pax off for a stroll around the area? Did you have satellite transmission allowing TV and phone service?

I smiled at your iceberg and Amazon itinerary. When I did the Svalbard trip to the North Pole icepack in June 2005, I continued on to Paris and yes, the packing was a nightmare. As least when I do the Rome to Black Sea cruise, I'll be moving by latitude instead of longitude.

Ruby

I was on Antarctica in February 2005 on the Marco Polo. We were fortunate that we were able to do all three landings that were scheduled although the groups after us were not able to land at Half Moon Island as the weather had changed instantly. Getting back to the ship was somewhat rough. We were not able to tour Elephant Island in the Zodiac the following day as the weather still did not cooperate. We did, however, go further South than the MP had been before. We only left the ship on pre-planned excursions.

My friends enjoyed the trip so much that they returned the following December. I noticed that your ship will provide you with the Expedition Parka. Make certain to try it on immediately and with what you plan to wear under it. Check to make certain that it has some room for movement. If your ship does not provide waterproof boots, (ours did not) get an inexpensive pair from the fishing department of your local Walmart, Target or other. This way you will not feel guilty leaving it on board rather than packing this smelly thing that weighs a lot in your luggage. Approximately $10 is my suggestion.

Take fewer layers and more gloves and film or an extra digital card. I am certain that this will be an interesting and exciting trip

Fran

I was on Antarctica in February 2005 on the Marco Polo. We were fortunate that we were able to do all three landings that were scheduled although the groups after us were not able to land at Half Moon Island as the weather had changed instantly. Getting back to the ship was somewhat rough. We were not able to tour Elephant Island in the Zodiac the following day as the weather still did not cooperate. We did, however, go further South than the MP had been before. We only left the ship on pre-planned excursions.

If your ship does not provide waterproof boots, (ours did not) get an inexpensive pair from the fishing department of your local Walmart, Target or other. This way you will not feel guilty leaving it on board rather than packing this smelly thing that weighs a lot in your luggage. Approximately $10 is my suggestion. Fran

Thanks for the tip about the waterproof boots. I hadn't spun the reality of walking around penguin colonies which would result in the inevitable smell of guano being carried back to the ship. I've seen pix of pax stepping in buckets of detergents and antibacterials - I don't know if they were coming or going to the colonies.

How did the ship's tour staff break up the groups going ashore? I heard that no more than 100 tourists can step onto land at a time. I assume you had guest lecturers onboard?

At any time, perhaps coming or going from Drake Passage, did you spot other ships in the area as they were sailing in the area of Antarctica?

Ruby

sorry doug you cannot make the MAXIN GORKY trip iam going however. if the rumour os correct i will try a cruise on her on orienbt lines i just love the look of the ship. off on SAGA RUBY tomorrow.just did the lunch on EURODAM in soton love her also

dave

sorry doug you cannot make the MAXIN GORKY trip iam going however. if the rumour os correct i will try a cruise on her on orienbt lines i just love the look of the ship. off on SAGA RUBY tomorrow.just did the lunch on EURODAM in soton love her also

dave

Dave, have a wonderful time on Saga Ruby. Those Saga Sisters are wonderful in size and service.

A question - what does the "d templar" mean in your posts?

Ruby

What a wonderful adventure to look forward to, Ruby. Enjoy the anticipation. No doubt you'll be well read on the Antarctica prior to your departure.

Marion, thanks for the kind words. I'm fascinated by the idea of being on a tiny ship with none of the usual tourist hurly-burly, so I'm looking forward to this one.

I was reading your "Upcoming Cruises" list and see you are sailing on Lirica from Genoa to FTL in November. How does one fly from Oz to Genoa? I have never planned travel from that direction and am curious.

Ruby

The Drake passage is a moody place, When I went it was what they call the "Drake Quake". When my friends went back the following year it was quiet and smooth and they called it the "Drake Lake". Unfortunately I was not on deck during that time as I was busy praying to the porcelain god in my cabin. I never saw another ship.

My friend saw an apartment barge doing the Antarctica "wave-by". Apparently there are always ships not too far away as was shown when the ship, The Explorer went down. The Nord Norge and another ship responded in sufficient time to rescue all aboard.

Each person had a colour tag with a number. The schedule was given the day before landing and the order was rotated so that each group had the earlier opportunity.

Crew members were stationed to assist pax and clean their boots with a scrub brush before entering the zodiac. On board they assisted with the removal of the boots and placed them in a plastic bag which you took back to your cabin. The process works very well but I never had my feet in a bucket.

Before I went there I read on these boards that a daub of Vicks over the upper lip will dispel the pungency of the partly digested fish that the penguins had previously dined on. This hint was GREAT.

Fran

If MAXIM does turn to be Orient Lines' first ship I think it would be spectacular. She is actually a superior ship to MARCO POLO in a lot of ways - among other things, the dining rooms can seat everyone at once, she has a real theatre, an indoor pool, an observation lounge, larger cabins, etc.

I am still somewhat skeptical that it will work out with her, but I would be delighted if it did!

I don't know if you've been on RUBY before but if you haven't, she is a lovely ship... I am sure you will really enjoy her.

As for EURODAM, I am not terribly fond of her Vista-class forebears but she looks very nice. Probably the nicest HAL ship built since AMSTERDAM.

Ruby, you will have a great time on Corinthian II, both onboard and, hopefully, ashore in the Antarctic! I checked Douglas Ward's 2006 cruise guide, and Corinthian II rated 1,546 out of 2,000 points, despite being a much smaller ship than Ryndam which rated only 1.533 points.

Also, according to the deck plans which I found online, your suite D329 appears larger than the others on that deck. Will you have one window on the side? There are no inside cabins on that ship. You will have to get used to natural sunlight shining through the suite windows. :D

Corinthian II (sounds like a reference to a Bible verse!) was known under three names: Island Sun, Regina Renaissance and Renaissance VII.

Donald.

Have a great time on Saga Rby Seabourndt. She is indeed a lovely ship. As for Antarctica Ruby..... . me jealous? Well yes!! I look forward to your tales about it afterward.

The Drake passage is a moody place, When I went it was what they call the "Drake Quake". When my friends went back the following year it was quiet and smooth and they called it the "Drake Lake".

Before I went there I read on these boards that a daub of Vicks over the upper lip will dispel the pungency of the partly digested fish that the penguins had previously dined on. This hint was GREAT.

Fran

What a wonderful phrase - the Drake Passage is "a moody place." Perfect. So far (knock on wood) heavy seas and flying in an aerobatic plane have not been a problem for me, although Saga Rose pitching and tossing off the coast of Greenland certainly did a good impression of a Tilt-A-Whirl - pitch, roll, and yaw.

Many years ago coming out of the Panama Canal into the Atlantic, I felt a bit queasy so I left my cabin to sit in the glass-walled bar on the stern by Lido Deck. Being able to see the horizon made me feel all better and it was fun, like ridin’ a buckin’ bronco.

I’m sure that global weather can get lots worse than Force 10 gales like on Rose, but I never once felt sick, just achy from being flung around for days and getting tired of reassembling items yet again onto the dresser after the raging seas cleaned off the surface for the umpteenth time. What do behemoths do for dresser surfaces? Do they have a tacky quality to keep things in place? Or does a behemoth completely ignore sea conditions?

Fran, do you find it peculiar for behemoths to do a "sail by" of Antarctica? I see posts about Star Princess and other large ships that "do" Antarctica, but what can be accomplished other than waving at the continent from a great distance?

Ruby, you will have a great time on Corinthian II, both onboard and, hopefully, ashore in the Antarctic! I checked Douglas Ward's 2006 cruise guide, and Corinthian II rated 1,546 out of 2,000 points, despite being a much smaller ship than Ryndam which rated only 1.533 points.

Corinthian II (sounds like a reference to a Bible verse!) was known under three names: Island Sun, Regina Renaissance and Renaissance VII.

Donald.

What is "Douglas Ward?" I’d like to know about that one. And I thought C2 was an R ship as a newbuild. So she was those other two names before she became an R ship? Colour me confused.

And I'm now officially resigning from spelling out the name of my ship. From now on, it's C2!

Ruby

What is "Douglas Ward?" I’d like to know about that one. And I thought C2 was an R ship as a newbuild. So she was those other two names before she became an R ship? Colour me confused.

And I'm now officially resigning from spelling out the name of my ship. From now on, it's C2!

Douglas Ward is the world's foremost authority on cruising, and Berlitz publishes his annual "Complete Guide to Cruising & Cruise Ships." Mr. Ward has sailed on each cruise ship and rated them according to factors such as accommodation, food, service, entertainment and overall cruise experience.

For your C2, Mr. Ward gave 159 out of 200 points for accommodation, 309 out of 400 for food and 306 out of 400 for service. These points are marginally less than those which he gave for Mercury. Mr. Ward also said that C2 is suitable for "mature adults who want to discover small ports, in a relaxed lifestyle combined with good food and service, and itineraries that say 'get away from it all, but in comfort'."

According to Mr. Ward, the dining room operates with an open seating for all meals. "It is small but quite smart, with tables for two, four, six, and eight. You simply sit where you like, with whom you like, and at what time you like."

Donald.

Mr. Ward has sailed on each cruise ship and rated them according to factors such as accommodation, food, service, entertainment and overall cruise experience.

Donald.

I don't want to contradict you Donald, but I suspect Mr Ward has not sailed on every ship. Some of the write ups on ships I have been on bear little resemblance to the actual ship itself and seem to be from press releases and the such. The errors then get perpetuated in each edition.