Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

YEEEE HA! The Royal Princess/Artemis book was sent to the publishers today!! Now we just have to wait...and hope they like it !! Off to open something cold, wet and bubbly!!:D

Heartiest congratulations on completion of your book. Celebrations are definitely called for. The accomplishment is impressive but the relief must be even larger.

Hey! You've almost gotten that YeeeHawww thing downpat!

Ruby

Ships cat, congratulations on the completion of your book! I am curious how did the book come into being - have you written other books for the publisher, or did you ask the publisher if they would be interested if you wrote the book?

Donald.

Ships cat, congratulations on the completion of your book! I am curious how did the book come into being - have you written other books for the publisher, or did you ask the publisher if they would be interested if you wrote the book?

Donald.

That is a long story Donald. I wrote my first book in 1987 and have done another 15 or so since, all about local history. A photographer friend then came up with the idea of a tribute book on Artemis as she was leaving the P&O fleet to go to Germany and since he knew I loved the ship and had travelled on her many times, asked if I would be interested in co-authoring. His idea was to self-publish but I thought we could find a publisher. I approached one who was not interested and then tried another firm. The MD of that firm was by coincidence my very first publisher back in 1987, knew me, knew my previous work and also, with the new firm, had a history of publishing maritime books. It all came together then. I can't wait to see the finished book, but much of it is now out of our hands. Hopefully it will be a suitable tribute to a very special ship.

Edited by ships cat

Ships cat, thanks for the explanation about how your book came into being. You indeed lucked out on the MD remembering you from 1987. Will your book have pictures? If so, are these your photographs taken on cruises aboard Artemis, or did you gather pictures from an Internet picture archives?

Donald.

Ships cat, thanks for the explanation about how your book came into being. You indeed lucked out on the MD remembering you from 1987. Will your book have pictures? If so, are these your photographs taken on cruises aboard Artemis, or did you gather pictures from an Internet picture archives?

Donald.

Oh yes - lots and lots - around 200 in fact, from the building yard to the present day. Many are mine and my co-author's, lots have been kindly lent by people following appeals on cruise chat forums etc, some are from newspapers and a good proportion are from crew past and present. I think we have covered everything from medical centre to sun deck, bridge to engine room, as well as the ship in ports from Greenland to Chile, the Panama Canal and the Black Sea. I hope it will give some insight as to how a ship is run as well as bring back memories for those who have sailed on her. I just cannot wait to see what it will turn out like!

Edited by ships cat

Thanks Donald. It helped immensely that the crew were so enthusiastic and allowed us access to areas not normally available (even if we did get stuck in the crew elevator once !) There is a whole other world in the lowest two decks with stores, galleys, offices, crew quarters - it was quite an eye opener to me.

Thanks Donald. It helped immensely that the crew were so enthusiastic and allowed us access to areas not normally available (even if we did get stuck in the crew elevator once !) There is a whole other world in the lowest two decks with stores, galleys, offices, crew quarters - it was quite an eye opener to me.

Yes, indeed it is a whole other world beyond the passenger section of cruise ships. I think that I mentioned pages ago that on my 1989 Panama Canal cruise on the old Rotterdam, the chief engineer took me on a tour of the bottom deck from stern to bow, from the propellers, stabilizers, engine room (the deck was slippery with oil!) and then through the crew quarters to the hatch in the bow where I looked up at the bridge.

I hadn't asked for the tour, but as the engineer passed through the cocktail area where I was relaxing with a beer, he asked me, out of the blue, if I'd like to do it. He waited while I retrieved my camera from my cabin, and then off we went.

The tour was a real treat for me, and I still fondly remember it.

Donald.

Talking of getting onto the foredeck Donald and looking up at the Bridge, this photo was taken by my co-conspirator! While I lean on the spare anchor, You can just see the ship's bell between me and the foremast.

IMG_0605.JPG

Edited by ships cat

Yes, indeed it is a whole other world beyond the passenger section of cruise ships. I think that I mentioned pages ago that on my 1989 Panama Canal cruise on the old Rotterdam, the chief engineer took me on a tour of the bottom deck from stern to bow, from the propellers, stabilizers, engine room (the deck was slippery with oil!) and then through the crew quarters to the hatch in the bow where I looked up at the bridge.

The tour was a real treat for me, and I still fondly remember it. Donald.

Back in my Royal Viking days, I was sneaked belowdecks by a dining room steward and he would occasionally sneak into my cabin to try on my jewelry. The experience of being in crew quarters late at night is quite the memory - all bathrooms and showers were wide open to view, the food fights had been cleaned up and, as I sat on the lower bunk, I could hear the loud "swish!" of the ocean rushing past the iron hull. As you say, a whole 'nuther world.

I never was allowed to do an engine-room tour. Although I knew the chief engineer quite well from dining at his table every evening, he emphatically said, "Sorry!" to my request. I got the impression that the Engine Room is no place for a lady and, based on your comments, I see why he denied my request. One comment he made was about the horrendous heat in the Engine Room during our tropical cruise.

Michael - didn't you mention that you have enjoyed an engine-room tour?

Talking of getting onto the foredeck Donald and looking up at the Bridge, this photo was taken by my co-conspirator! While I lean on the spare anchor, You can just see the ship's bell between me and the foremast.

I am green with envy that folks beyond Kate and Leonardo are allowed on the far foredeck. I fervently wish I could experience that location on a ship. But what a loverly photo to memorialize your unique experiences onboard Artemis.

Ruby

I am green with envy that folks beyond Kate and Leonardo are allowed on the far foredeck. I fervently wish I could experience that location on a ship. But what a loverly photo to memorialize your unique experiences onboard Artemis.

Ruby

Holland America and Royal Caribbean ships have their foredecks open to passengers. I've always enjoyed standing all the way forward and having the wind whip through my hair and, sometimes, the overhead dancing of birds that followed the ships for some distance out of ports.

Donald.

I did get into the Engine Control Room on the previous edition of HAL's Noordam, Jun 85, but couldn't get into the engine-room itself.

My bro-in-law managed to get into the engine-room of the previous edition of HAL's Westerdam, Sep 97, but he couldn't find me (I was off somewhere wandering around), and the Engineering Officer did not want to tarry.

We both got into the engine-room of the river barge Adagio during our Danube River cruise.Sep 07. Interesting, but of course much smaller than a cruise ship's engine-room.

They are hot, very noisy, and somewhat oily, but really cleaner than I expected.

I also saw crew quarters on the old Oriana, Sep 64.

ShipsCat

I've been told by several Princess crew members that Artemis, nee Royal Princess, had the best crew quarters in the fleet.

ShipsCat

I've been told by several Princess crew members that Artemis, nee Royal Princess, had the best crew quarters in the fleet.

I am not sure how she compares with the new ships, but at the time - yes she did. Never more than two people to a cabin and every one with en-suite bathroom. Officers had a cabin to themselves and senior officers a two-room suite.

Oddly re the actual engine room, the Chief Engineer was perfectly happy for us to go in and photograph it (whilst in port), the Captain was happy but our shoreside-office "guard" said no! In the end we have used photos of it taken for us by the crew. We still were allowed around the other parts - workshops, stores etc though.

Edited by ships cat

Never more than two people to a cabin and every one with en-suite bathroom. Officers had a cabin to themselves and senior officers a two-room suite.

Oddly re the actual engine room, the Chief Engineer was perfectly happy for us to go in and photograph it (whilst in port), the Captain was happy but our shoreside-office "guard" said no! In the end we have used photos of it taken for us by the crew. We still were allowed around the other parts - workshops, stores etc though.

On Royal Viking, the crew were two to a cabin with open toilets out in the middle of the crew deck. I heard on Stella Solaris that the crew were six to a cabin. Can you say "sardines?" Sure you can! Is that configuration similar to naval military ships?

In reference to the "no!" from the guard - I find that No! is the standard reply from locals when queried by tourists. The tour guides have laid down permissions far ahead of our arrivals, but in the Middle East, or the old Communist states like Russia, and the Baltic states, person to person, the answer is usually a militaristic No!

Michael - what did you see in crew quarters on Oriana?

Ruby

USS Texas, CGN 39, a nuke cruiser now decommissioned, had berthing compartments of about 24 men each, very small racks (think coffin-like), and open heads (latrines). Not at all comfortable. I did go on a 3 night "tiger cruise" when my step-son was assigned to the ship.

Certainly made me happy that I had been in the Army, even though that was back in the days of open platoon bays of 30 to 40 men each. Not nearly as claustrophobic as naval berthing compartments.!

Oriana's crew quarters were similar to what you describe for the Royal Viking ships. They did have their own bars and entertainment venues. Of course, officer's country was much more private and comfortable.

And how did you find out about the crew toilets on Royal Viking Ruby ??

I went belowdecks at the invitation of an RVL dining-room steward who knew I liked the Beach Boys' song Good Vibrations. I sat on the bunk bed, listening to the 8-track (!!!), chatting with Aiden, and watched him smoke so much that the cabin became airless, I started choking which brought the duty officer . . . Just another day in the life.

When I asked Aiden to use the toilets, he pointed out in the center of the deck where metal screens divided up the toilets area, no curtains or doors, which left nothing to the imagination of any passerby. Fortunately, at that time of night, the crew were asleep.

To Donald - a hearty farewell and Bon Voyage for your next Alaska cruise starting Monday. Is this the last voyage of Mercury or simply her last cruise in AK? Regardless, it will be sad to see her turned over to the German proprietary. Have a grand time!

Ruby

Sorry about the typo in your name in the heading of my last post. Unfortunately, the "edit" feature does not work in the titles - only the body of the message.

Well, of course, I was profoundly insulted, shattered, upset. Uh - what typo? Oh! 'kay!

Ruby

To Donald - a hearty farewell and Bon Voyage for your next Alaska cruise starting Monday. Is this the last voyage of Mercury or simply her last cruise in AK? Regardless, it will be sad to see her turned over to the German proprietary. Have a grand time!

Ruby

Thanks, Ruby! Actually the cruise is tomorrow (Sunday), not on Monday. Mercury will have one more - and final - cruise to Alaska after my return.

I'll be back on this thread afterwards to let you know about anything interesting that might occur during the cruise.

Donald.

When I asked Aiden to use the toilets, he pointed out in the center of the deck where metal screens divided up the toilets area, no curtains or doors, which left nothing to the imagination of any passerby. Fortunately, at that time of night, the crew were asleep.

Ruby

Gosh - the mind boggles! I would have thought even in the 1970s ship's a little more privacy would have been given, although of course they were Scandinavian !!

The Saganauts among you might have noticed that Saga Ruby is no longer a British registered ship and flys the Maltese ensign. I assume this is because Acromas which is Saga's parent company is registered in Malta.

Acromas bought Saga a few years back and had to borrow a lot of cash to do so, the idea being to sell off at a handsome profit at an oportune moment. Unfortunately the recession arived and stockmarket flotations stopped and the time to pay back the loan is fast approaching.

How all this is going to affect the quality of the Saga product remains to be seen.

We are booked on the Sydney to Los Angeles leg of Saga Ruby's 2011 world cruise.

The Saganauts among you might have noticed that Saga Ruby is no longer a British registered ship and flys the Maltese ensign. I assume this is because Acromas which is Saga's parent company is registered in Malta. Acromas bought Saga a few years back and had to borrow a lot of cash to do so, the idea being to sell off at a handsome profit at an opportune moment. Unfortunately the recession arrived and stock market flotations stopped and the time to pay back the loan is fast approaching. How all this is going to affect the quality of the Saga product remains to be seen. We are booked on the Sydney to Los Angeles leg of Saga Ruby's 2011 world cruise.

It is a luxury to depend on our "Saganauts" for information such as this. I did not know that Acomas owns Saga Cruises. Who is Acomas?

Saga Rose sailed for them under a Nassau registry. Malta has been appearing with regularity as a new flag of convenience.

Speaking of the business side of cruising, my last information was that the Japanese started and owned Crystal Cruises - do they still own and run the line? And evidently Silversea is an Italian proprietary - or not? What company or group of investors owns Seabourn?

Ruby